Re: 1812 Native Warriors

  • Ray Hobbs
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2009
      Hi Glenn
      I think this is a case of careful sifting of many different records. On
      a previous visit to the Archives in Ottawa I noticed that Record Group
      10 contained several claims by various chiefs for compensation of their
      warriors who served in the War of 1812.
      These documents are scattered, but they are listed in the Archives
      catalogue. They might not give you a full list of participants in
      Longwoods, but it is a place to start.
      Good luck.
      Ray

      On 4-Feb-09, at 5:41 PM, glenn stott wrote:

      > Dear List
      > The Royal Scots Light Company is in the process of obtaining
      > information about the casualties of the Battle of the Longwoods, Mar.
      > 4, 1814. We are hoping to add these names in the form of a plaque
      > attached to the existing cairn. In order to complete the list we need
      > the names of the Native Warriors who participated in the battle. It is
      > known that between 20-50 were involved. We do not know their names,
      > tribes or whether any were killed or wounded as they are not recorded
      > on the original correspondence. Are there any mechanisms available to
      > obtain any such information ie. Archives, Libraries, Native Cultural
      > Repositories etc. We would really appreciate a chance to honour this
      > section of the Battle.
      >
      > Glenn Stott

    • glenn stott
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2009
        Thanks very much Ray. I really appreciate it!