Native Warriors

  • glenn stott
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2009
      Dear List
      The Royal Scots Light Company is in the process of obtaining information about the casualties of the Battle of the Longwoods, Mar. 4, 1814. We are hoping to add these names in the form of a plaque attached to the existing cairn. In order to complete the list we need the names of the Native Warriors who participated in the battle. It is known that between 20-50 were involved. We do not know their names, tribes or whether any were killed or wounded as they are not recorded on the original correspondence. Are there any mechanisms available to obtain any such information ie. Archives, Libraries, Native Cultural Repositories etc. We would really appreciate a chance to honour this section of the Battle.

      Glenn Stott

    • Ray Hobbs
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2009
        Hi Glenn
        I think this is a case of careful sifting of many different records. On
        a previous visit to the Archives in Ottawa I noticed that Record Group
        10 contained several claims by various chiefs for compensation of their
        warriors who served in the War of 1812.
        These documents are scattered, but they are listed in the Archives
        catalogue. They might not give you a full list of participants in
        Longwoods, but it is a place to start.
        Good luck.
        Ray

        On 4-Feb-09, at 5:41 PM, glenn stott wrote:

        > Dear List
        > The Royal Scots Light Company is in the process of obtaining
        > information about the casualties of the Battle of the Longwoods, Mar.
        > 4, 1814. We are hoping to add these names in the form of a plaque
        > attached to the existing cairn. In order to complete the list we need
        > the names of the Native Warriors who participated in the battle. It is
        > known that between 20-50 were involved. We do not know their names,
        > tribes or whether any were killed or wounded as they are not recorded
        > on the original correspondence. Are there any mechanisms available to
        > obtain any such information ie. Archives, Libraries, Native Cultural
        > Repositories etc. We would really appreciate a chance to honour this
        > section of the Battle.
        >
        > Glenn Stott

      • glenn stott
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4, 2009
          Thanks very much Ray. I really appreciate it!