Re: Was 1812 fought over Hemp??

  • Craig Williams
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
      Mark,
      I haven't looked at the industry in lately but the state of things
      about five years ago was that the stuff was being used to make oil ,
      seed foods, soaps, skin care and other health items. The long fibres
      were being mixed with recycled tire rubber and made into very durable
      shingles that look like slate, but no paper, rope or fabric at that
      point. That's what we need though. It's the same process as turning
      flax into linen so the technology exists. The problem is finding
      someone or some company with the desire and backing to create the mill.
      I have had many garments made from hemp and they wear like iron. I
      made my US backpack from hemp canvas and it looks great.

      Craig Williams
      On 4-Feb-09, at 10:45 AM, Mark Dickerson wrote:

      > Over the last 10 to 15 years, there has been an organized attempt
      > in Kent
      > County to increase production, and marketing of hemp. This is the
      > industrial type with insufficient amount of tetrehydrocannabinol
      > (THC) to
      > be used as a drug. Few people realize that there is 'industrial'
      > hemp, and
      > "fun" hemp. Hundreds of acres of the industrial variety have been
      > legally
      > grown in the county, but there has been unsatisfactory inroads to
      > the US
      > market to sell the raw or finished product.
      >
      > Perhaps they can be convinced to make 1812 tents.
      >
      > Mark Dickerson

    • roy winders
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
        Actually, there was never a shortage of hemp in 1812, the trouble started
        when the supply of twinkies ran out.