Joe Lischka : New Member I

    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 3, 2009
      Welcome Joe

      Visit
      United States Forces 1812
      http://usforces1812.tripod.com

      Crown Forces North America 1812
      http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

      WAR Of 1812 Events

      Sutlers & Merchants
      http://1812crownforces.tripod.com/sutlersmerchants

      1812/2009 Grand Tactical Webpages
      http://www.cryslersfarm.com
      http://1812grandtactical.tripod.com
      Annual War of 1812 Grand Tactical
      July 11-12, 2009 Crysler's Farm
      Morrisburg, Ontario, Canada

      And the Archives (Messages) of this Yahoo Group
      at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WarOf1812

      To bring you up to speed

      Yrs.,

      Larry Lozon (L2)
      Upper Canada (Ontario)

      --- Joe Lischka wrote:

      "The name is Joe Lischka and I moved from the U.S. to Fort Erie,
      Ontario four years ago ..."
    • indyleaguesgraveyard
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 1, 2010
        Hello everyone,

        Having failed to read the email that I should introduce myself in my first posting to the group, I now send my second post to do just that.

        My name is Kevin McCann, and I am finishing a biography of a one-term congressman from Tennessee named Adam Huntsman. (He is known for defeating David Crockett in his last congressional campaign, after which he left for Texas and the rest is history.) He lost a leg during the War of 1812 and wore a wooden peg leg the rest of his life. (Under what circumstances he lost the leg has long been a mystery; the most logical seems to be that he served in John Williams' filibuster to East Florida in the winter of 1812-13.)

        I've recently become interested in the War of 1812, but it was a question that prompted me to join this group. (Please see my earlier posting on the Massachusetts Militia.) I hope a few of you can help answer this query and set me in the right direction.

        I look forward to reading the discussions!

        Thank you,

        Kevin McCann
      • jmgallen1812
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 2, 2011
          Jim Yaworsky invited me to introduce myself so here goes.

          I am an amateur historian, living in St. Louis, who thinks often of President Reagan's warning in his Farewell Address:

          "So, we've got to teach history based not on what's in fashion but what's important -- why the Pilgrims came here, who Jimmy Doolittle was, and what those 30 seconds over Tokyo meant... If we forget what we did, we won't know who we are. I'm warning of an eradication of the American memory that could result, ultimately, in an erosion of the American spirit. Let's start with some basics: more attention to American history and a greater emphasis on civic ritual."

          I have always been interested in history. Over the past ten years or so I have not only studied history but have attempted to help others to remember what we did and know who we are by teaching one night continuing ed classes through our local community college. My history interests have been general and not specific to the War of 1812. I do plan to offer a class on the War during the Bicentennial period. I will be watching the postings for anything that will enhance my knowledge about the War so that I will be ready when the time comes. I do not know how much I will contribute to the discussions, but I do plan on reading some books about the war and could post links to my Amazon reviews if other members would be interested.

          I will be looking forward to the postings and may surprise myself and others with some postings of my own.

          Jim Gallen
        • Tom Hurlbut
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 2, 2011
            Welcome Jim!

            I'm certain you'll have much to offer!

            Long Live the Republic!

            "Major" Tom

            _____

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 2, 2011
              Tom,
              Thanks!
              One thing I can contribute is a link to my Aamzon review of The War of 1812: A Forgotten Conflict by Donald R. Hickey:
              http://www.amazon.com/War-1812-FORGOTTEN-CONFLICT/dp/0252060598/ref=cm_lmf_tit_27
              Jim Gallen

              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 3, 2011
                Joel

                Also consider Gilbert Collins book "Guidebook to the Historic Sites of the War of 1812" published in 1998 by the Dundurn Press (www.dundurn.com). My paperback copy has lots of stickies marking pages of places I want to visit:):)

                Jeff

                "If we are to go forward, we must first look back." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
              • Colonel
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 5, 2011
                  Jim,
                  I do hope you will offer that course on the War of 1812, and also hope other instructors will do the same. However, your struggle against ignorance on the subject will be very trying.
                  I just retired from teaching History in a South Carolina High School last May and, along with many other frustrations that go along with such a career, let me share this concerning the War of 1812.
                  The current US History text used by most of the schools in the state allow for six short paragraphs on the entire war. If you take away the map and assessment questions on the two pages used, you are left, in actuality, one page of text covering the conflict. The three main topics covered in a few sentences are the War in Canada, the burning of Washington, and the Battle of New Orleans. Baltimore is mentioned in a "balloon" on the map ---"Baltimore, Sept. 12-14, British fail to capture city and withdraw from Chesapeake Bay in October." The Star Spangled Banner and Ft. McHenry are not mentioned at all and most of my students had never heard of Francis Scott Key, not to mention all of the other heroes on both sides who served.
                  I am afraid that what President Reagan warned of has already happened with the blessings of too many school systems. A large part of the problem is due to the fact that in Sourth Carolina some people in control of curriculum still believe that the entire history of the United States can be effectively taught in ONE SEMESTER, 90 SCHOOL DAYS! Whe one starts subtracting test days, extra school programs, broken sequencing from holidays, teacher workdays, or weather related school closings, it is not surprising that an entire generation knows very little about where they come from or what their predecessors have done.
                  Again,I wish you all good fortune in your endeavors and hope you may inspire other instructors to also start programs such as you intend.

                  Tom Moore

                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "jmgallen1812" <JMGallen@...> wrote:

                  > Jim Yaworsky invited me to introduce myself so here goes.
                  >
                  > I am an amateur historian, living in St. Louis, who thinks often of President Reagan's warning in his Farewell Address:
                  >
                  > "So, we've got to teach history based not on what's in fashion but what's important -- why the Pilgrims came here, who Jimmy Doolittle was, and what those 30 seconds over Tokyo meant... If we forget what we did, we won't know who we are. I'm warning of an eradication of the American memory that could result, ultimately, in an erosion of the American spirit. Let's start with some basics: more attention to American history and a greater emphasis on civic ritual."
                  >
                  > I have always been interested in history. Over the past ten years or so I have not only studied history but have attempted to help others to remember what we did and know who we are by teaching one night continuing ed classes through our local community college. My history interests have been general and not specific to the War of 1812. I do plan to offer a class on the War during the Bicentennial period. I will be watching the postings for anything that will enhance my knowledge about the War so that I will be ready when the time comes. I do not know how much I will contribute to the discussions, but I do plan on reading some books about the war and could post links to my Amazon reviews if other members would be interested.
                  >
                  > I will be looking forward to the postings and may surprise myself and others with some postings of my own.
                  >
                  > Jim Gallen

                • Charlie Quesenberry
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 5, 2011
                    That is sobering news, to say the very very least. It makes what we all do
                    so much more than a hobby.

                  • jmgallen@juno.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 5, 2011
                      Tom,
                      Thanks for your encouragement.
> [...]

                      > I have always been interested in history. Over the past ten years or so I have not only studied history but have attempted to help others to remember what we did and know who we are by teaching one night continuing ed classes through our local community college. My history interests have been general and not specific to the War of 1812. I do plan to offer a class on the War during the Bicentennial period. I will be watching the postings for anything that will enhance my knowledge about the War so that I will be ready when the time comes. I do not know how much I will contribute to the discussions, but I do plan on reading some books about the war and could post links to my Amazon reviews if other members would be interested.
                      >
                      > I will be looking forward to the postings and may surprise myself and others with some postings of my own.

                    • ONeil
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 23, 2011
                        To Jim Yaworsky and all 1812ers

                        I joined the group last night. I'm a writer with a degree in European History. Most of my books are mysteries, however, my newest is an historical novel, BATTLE KISS, an epic story of love and war set around the Battle of New Orleans. Its huge (320,000 words). My web site is www.oneildnoux.com

                        Look forward to discussions about The War of 1812.