New Member Introduction

  • jlischka
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 3, 2009
      The name is Joe Lischka and I moved from the U.S. to Fort Erie,
      Ontario four years ago as a brand new Loyalist. My interest in the War
      of 1812 derives from the fact that my house is several hundred yards
      from Old Fort Erie and directly under the path that English shot would
      have taken from Battery No. 2 during the Siege of Fort Erie in 1814. I
      spent last summer as a volunteer at the Old Fort in the role of
      Commissary Officer and expect to fulfill the same role this summer,
      and have been actively researching the history of John Warren, who was
      Asst. Commissary Officer at the Fort from 1779 to 1813, as well as
      Justice of the Peace, Customs Inspector, Immigration Officer, Road
      Inspector, merchant, ferry operator, etc. and Lt. Colonel of the 3rd
      Lincoln Militia. He was born in 1740, joined the King's 8th Regiment
      of Foot sometime around 1756-58, and mustered out at Fort Niagara in
      1779 after a noteworthy career as a drum major in the 8th.

      My principal interest in the period is not so much in the military
      aspects but in civilian and commercial life of the times. Fort Erie
      played an active and important role in the fur trade and in commercial
      traffic along the Niagara and on Lake Erie.

      Also have been dabbling in sutlering as Joseph the Chandler, making
      and selling candles and lanterns, so far only at the Fort Erie
      reenactment last summer. Don't know how successful that will be.
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 3, 2009
        Welcome Joe

        Visit
        United States Forces 1812
        http://usforces1812.tripod.com

        Crown Forces North America 1812
        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

        WAR Of 1812 Events

        Sutlers & Merchants
        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com/sutlersmerchants

        1812/2009 Grand Tactical Webpages
        http://www.cryslersfarm.com
        http://1812grandtactical.tripod.com
        Annual War of 1812 Grand Tactical
        July 11-12, 2009 Crysler's Farm
        Morrisburg, Ontario, Canada

        And the Archives (Messages) of this Yahoo Group
        at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WarOf1812

        To bring you up to speed

        Yrs.,

        Larry Lozon (L2)
        Upper Canada (Ontario)

        --- Joe Lischka wrote:

        "The name is Joe Lischka and I moved from the U.S. to Fort Erie,
        Ontario four years ago ..."
      • indyleaguesgraveyard
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 1, 2010
          Hello everyone,

          Having failed to read the email that I should introduce myself in my first posting to the group, I now send my second post to do just that.

          My name is Kevin McCann, and I am finishing a biography of a one-term congressman from Tennessee named Adam Huntsman. (He is known for defeating David Crockett in his last congressional campaign, after which he left for Texas and the rest is history.) He lost a leg during the War of 1812 and wore a wooden peg leg the rest of his life. (Under what circumstances he lost the leg has long been a mystery; the most logical seems to be that he served in John Williams' filibuster to East Florida in the winter of 1812-13.)

          I've recently become interested in the War of 1812, but it was a question that prompted me to join this group. (Please see my earlier posting on the Massachusetts Militia.) I hope a few of you can help answer this query and set me in the right direction.

          I look forward to reading the discussions!

          Thank you,

          Kevin McCann
        • jmgallen1812
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 2, 2011
            Jim Yaworsky invited me to introduce myself so here goes.

            I am an amateur historian, living in St. Louis, who thinks often of President Reagan's warning in his Farewell Address:

            "So, we've got to teach history based not on what's in fashion but what's important -- why the Pilgrims came here, who Jimmy Doolittle was, and what those 30 seconds over Tokyo meant... If we forget what we did, we won't know who we are. I'm warning of an eradication of the American memory that could result, ultimately, in an erosion of the American spirit. Let's start with some basics: more attention to American history and a greater emphasis on civic ritual."

            I have always been interested in history. Over the past ten years or so I have not only studied history but have attempted to help others to remember what we did and know who we are by teaching one night continuing ed classes through our local community college. My history interests have been general and not specific to the War of 1812. I do plan to offer a class on the War during the Bicentennial period. I will be watching the postings for anything that will enhance my knowledge about the War so that I will be ready when the time comes. I do not know how much I will contribute to the discussions, but I do plan on reading some books about the war and could post links to my Amazon reviews if other members would be interested.

            I will be looking forward to the postings and may surprise myself and others with some postings of my own.

            Jim Gallen
          • Tom Hurlbut
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 2, 2011
              Welcome Jim!

              I'm certain you'll have much to offer!

              Long Live the Republic!

              "Major" Tom

              _____

              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 2, 2011
                Tom,
                Thanks!
                One thing I can contribute is a link to my Aamzon review of The War of 1812: A Forgotten Conflict by Donald R. Hickey:
                http://www.amazon.com/War-1812-FORGOTTEN-CONFLICT/dp/0252060598/ref=cm_lmf_tit_27
                Jim Gallen

                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 3, 2011
                  Joel

                  Also consider Gilbert Collins book "Guidebook to the Historic Sites of the War of 1812" published in 1998 by the Dundurn Press (www.dundurn.com). My paperback copy has lots of stickies marking pages of places I want to visit:):)

                  Jeff

                  "If we are to go forward, we must first look back." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
                • Colonel
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 5, 2011
                    Jim,
                    I do hope you will offer that course on the War of 1812, and also hope other instructors will do the same. However, your struggle against ignorance on the subject will be very trying.
                    I just retired from teaching History in a South Carolina High School last May and, along with many other frustrations that go along with such a career, let me share this concerning the War of 1812.
                    The current US History text used by most of the schools in the state allow for six short paragraphs on the entire war. If you take away the map and assessment questions on the two pages used, you are left, in actuality, one page of text covering the conflict. The three main topics covered in a few sentences are the War in Canada, the burning of Washington, and the Battle of New Orleans. Baltimore is mentioned in a "balloon" on the map ---"Baltimore, Sept. 12-14, British fail to capture city and withdraw from Chesapeake Bay in October." The Star Spangled Banner and Ft. McHenry are not mentioned at all and most of my students had never heard of Francis Scott Key, not to mention all of the other heroes on both sides who served.
                    I am afraid that what President Reagan warned of has already happened with the blessings of too many school systems. A large part of the problem is due to the fact that in Sourth Carolina some people in control of curriculum still believe that the entire history of the United States can be effectively taught in ONE SEMESTER, 90 SCHOOL DAYS! Whe one starts subtracting test days, extra school programs, broken sequencing from holidays, teacher workdays, or weather related school closings, it is not surprising that an entire generation knows very little about where they come from or what their predecessors have done.
                    Again,I wish you all good fortune in your endeavors and hope you may inspire other instructors to also start programs such as you intend.

                    Tom Moore

                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "jmgallen1812" <JMGallen@...> wrote:

                    > Jim Yaworsky invited me to introduce myself so here goes.
                    >
                    > I am an amateur historian, living in St. Louis, who thinks often of President Reagan's warning in his Farewell Address:
                    >
                    > "So, we've got to teach history based not on what's in fashion but what's important -- why the Pilgrims came here, who Jimmy Doolittle was, and what those 30 seconds over Tokyo meant... If we forget what we did, we won't know who we are. I'm warning of an eradication of the American memory that could result, ultimately, in an erosion of the American spirit. Let's start with some basics: more attention to American history and a greater emphasis on civic ritual."
                    >
                    > I have always been interested in history. Over the past ten years or so I have not only studied history but have attempted to help others to remember what we did and know who we are by teaching one night continuing ed classes through our local community college. My history interests have been general and not specific to the War of 1812. I do plan to offer a class on the War during the Bicentennial period. I will be watching the postings for anything that will enhance my knowledge about the War so that I will be ready when the time comes. I do not know how much I will contribute to the discussions, but I do plan on reading some books about the war and could post links to my Amazon reviews if other members would be interested.
                    >
                    > I will be looking forward to the postings and may surprise myself and others with some postings of my own.
                    >
                    > Jim Gallen

                  • Charlie Quesenberry
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 5, 2011
                      That is sobering news, to say the very very least. It makes what we all do
                      so much more than a hobby.

                    • jmgallen@juno.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 5, 2011
                        Tom,
                        Thanks for your encouragement.
> [...]

                        > I have always been interested in history. Over the past ten years or so I have not only studied history but have attempted to help others to remember what we did and know who we are by teaching one night continuing ed classes through our local community college. My history interests have been general and not specific to the War of 1812. I do plan to offer a class on the War during the Bicentennial period. I will be watching the postings for anything that will enhance my knowledge about the War so that I will be ready when the time comes. I do not know how much I will contribute to the discussions, but I do plan on reading some books about the war and could post links to my Amazon reviews if other members would be interested.
                        >
                        > I will be looking forward to the postings and may surprise myself and others with some postings of my own.

                      • ONeil
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 23, 2011
                          To Jim Yaworsky and all 1812ers

                          I joined the group last night. I'm a writer with a degree in European History. Most of my books are mysteries, however, my newest is an historical novel, BATTLE KISS, an epic story of love and war set around the Battle of New Orleans. Its huge (320,000 words). My web site is www.oneildnoux.com

                          Look forward to discussions about The War of 1812.