Re: Was 1812 fought over Hemp??

  • Stephen Allie
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 2, 2009
      Not sure but at the time of the war all of the sails and cordage used
      by the British and US Navies as well as the merchant fleets were made
      of hemp. In the United States all the military tents were also made of
      hemp. As late as WWII hemp was used for tentage ropes and woven in to
      cartridge belts.Lucky you if you can find the old WWII "Hemp for
      Victory Poster. The government had them destroyed and they are now
      worth a fortune.

      Steve Allie
    • annbwass@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 2, 2009
        But seriously, folks, the argument does make sense, as one of the causes of
        the war. But, even if that is so, and "they" are hiding this bit of history
        from us, I don't see how it strengthens the argument to legalize, ahem, hemp
        these days, with sails and cordage being made of other things.

        Ann Wass

      • Colin
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 2, 2009
          Also linen trousers, knapsacks, jackets etc.. were often made from
          Russia Sheeting aka Hemp...I use it...Russia Sheeting that is
          Yrs
          Colin Murphy
          USS CON 1812 MG
          USMCHC

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Allie" <allies@...> wrote:

          > Not sure but at the time of the war all of the sails and cordage used
          > by the British and US Navies as well as the merchant fleets were made
          > of hemp. In the United States all the military tents were also made
          of
          > hemp. As late as WWII hemp was used for tentage ropes and woven in to
          > cartridge belts.Lucky you if you can find the old WWII "Hemp for
          > Victory Poster. The government had them destroyed and they are now
          > worth a fortune.
          >
          > Steve Allie

        • Mark Dickerson
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
            Over the last 10 to 15 years, there has been an organized attempt in Kent
            County to increase production, and marketing of hemp. This is the
            industrial type with insufficient amount of tetrehydrocannabinol (THC) to
            be used as a drug. Few people realize that there is 'industrial' hemp, and
            "fun" hemp. Hundreds of acres of the industrial variety have been legally
            grown in the county, but there has been unsatisfactory inroads to the US
            market to sell the raw or finished product.

            Perhaps they can be convinced to make 1812 tents.

            Mark Dickerson

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
              Mark,
              I haven't looked at the industry in lately but the state of things
              about five years ago was that the stuff was being used to make oil ,
              seed foods, soaps, skin care and other health items. The long fibres
              were being mixed with recycled tire rubber and made into very durable
              shingles that look like slate, but no paper, rope or fabric at that
              point. That's what we need though. It's the same process as turning
              flax into linen so the technology exists. The problem is finding
              someone or some company with the desire and backing to create the mill.
              I have had many garments made from hemp and they wear like iron. I
              made my US backpack from hemp canvas and it looks great.

              Craig Williams
              On 4-Feb-09, at 10:45 AM, Mark Dickerson wrote:

              > Over the last 10 to 15 years, there has been an organized attempt
              > in Kent
              > County to increase production, and marketing of hemp. This is the
              > industrial type with insufficient amount of tetrehydrocannabinol
              > (THC) to
              > be used as a drug. Few people realize that there is 'industrial'
              > hemp, and
              > "fun" hemp. Hundreds of acres of the industrial variety have been
              > legally
              > grown in the county, but there has been unsatisfactory inroads to
              > the US
              > market to sell the raw or finished product.
              >
              > Perhaps they can be convinced to make 1812 tents.
              >
              > Mark Dickerson

            • roy winders
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
                Actually, there was never a shortage of hemp in 1812, the trouble started
                when the supply of twinkies ran out.