Re: Was 1812 fought over Hemp??

  • Kevin Windsor
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 2, 2009
      That explains a lot about the navy during the War!

      On Lake Ontario Yeo and Chauncey wouldn't fight because they were cruising
      around to find a 7-11 that had those Jamaican beef patties, and Perry and
      Barclay fought because they were "jones-ing"!

      Dude....I get it now!!

      KW
    • Stephen Allie
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 2, 2009
        Not sure but at the time of the war all of the sails and cordage used
        by the British and US Navies as well as the merchant fleets were made
        of hemp. In the United States all the military tents were also made of
        hemp. As late as WWII hemp was used for tentage ropes and woven in to
        cartridge belts.Lucky you if you can find the old WWII "Hemp for
        Victory Poster. The government had them destroyed and they are now
        worth a fortune.

        Steve Allie
      • annbwass@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 2, 2009
          But seriously, folks, the argument does make sense, as one of the causes of
          the war. But, even if that is so, and "they" are hiding this bit of history
          from us, I don't see how it strengthens the argument to legalize, ahem, hemp
          these days, with sails and cordage being made of other things.

          Ann Wass

        • Colin
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 2, 2009
            Also linen trousers, knapsacks, jackets etc.. were often made from
            Russia Sheeting aka Hemp...I use it...Russia Sheeting that is
            Yrs
            Colin Murphy
            USS CON 1812 MG
            USMCHC

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Allie" <allies@...> wrote:

            > Not sure but at the time of the war all of the sails and cordage used
            > by the British and US Navies as well as the merchant fleets were made
            > of hemp. In the United States all the military tents were also made
            of
            > hemp. As late as WWII hemp was used for tentage ropes and woven in to
            > cartridge belts.Lucky you if you can find the old WWII "Hemp for
            > Victory Poster. The government had them destroyed and they are now
            > worth a fortune.
            >
            > Steve Allie

          • Mark Dickerson
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
              Over the last 10 to 15 years, there has been an organized attempt in Kent
              County to increase production, and marketing of hemp. This is the
              industrial type with insufficient amount of tetrehydrocannabinol (THC) to
              be used as a drug. Few people realize that there is 'industrial' hemp, and
              "fun" hemp. Hundreds of acres of the industrial variety have been legally
              grown in the county, but there has been unsatisfactory inroads to the US
              market to sell the raw or finished product.

              Perhaps they can be convinced to make 1812 tents.

              Mark Dickerson

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
                Mark,
                I haven't looked at the industry in lately but the state of things
                about five years ago was that the stuff was being used to make oil ,
                seed foods, soaps, skin care and other health items. The long fibres
                were being mixed with recycled tire rubber and made into very durable
                shingles that look like slate, but no paper, rope or fabric at that
                point. That's what we need though. It's the same process as turning
                flax into linen so the technology exists. The problem is finding
                someone or some company with the desire and backing to create the mill.
                I have had many garments made from hemp and they wear like iron. I
                made my US backpack from hemp canvas and it looks great.

                Craig Williams
                On 4-Feb-09, at 10:45 AM, Mark Dickerson wrote:

                > Over the last 10 to 15 years, there has been an organized attempt
                > in Kent
                > County to increase production, and marketing of hemp. This is the
                > industrial type with insufficient amount of tetrehydrocannabinol
                > (THC) to
                > be used as a drug. Few people realize that there is 'industrial'
                > hemp, and
                > "fun" hemp. Hundreds of acres of the industrial variety have been
                > legally
                > grown in the county, but there has been unsatisfactory inroads to
                > the US
                > market to sell the raw or finished product.
                >
                > Perhaps they can be convinced to make 1812 tents.
                >
                > Mark Dickerson

              • roy winders
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
                  Actually, there was never a shortage of hemp in 1812, the trouble started
                  when the supply of twinkies ran out.