Re: Was 1812 fought over Hemp??

  • peter monahan
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 2, 2009
      Craig Williams wrote:

      "The writer does not make the distinction that Cannabis has several
      varieties and the ones used for industry, (rope, paper,fabric food)
      are high in long fibres and extremely low in intoxicants."

      "Always with the negative vibes, Moriarity, always with the negative
      vibes!"

      (mutter mutter... officer; mutter mutter.. partypooper)
    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 2, 2009
        That explains a lot about the navy during the War!

        On Lake Ontario Yeo and Chauncey wouldn't fight because they were cruising
        around to find a 7-11 that had those Jamaican beef patties, and Perry and
        Barclay fought because they were "jones-ing"!

        Dude....I get it now!!

        KW
      • Stephen Allie
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 2, 2009
          Not sure but at the time of the war all of the sails and cordage used
          by the British and US Navies as well as the merchant fleets were made
          of hemp. In the United States all the military tents were also made of
          hemp. As late as WWII hemp was used for tentage ropes and woven in to
          cartridge belts.Lucky you if you can find the old WWII "Hemp for
          Victory Poster. The government had them destroyed and they are now
          worth a fortune.

          Steve Allie
        • annbwass@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 2, 2009
            But seriously, folks, the argument does make sense, as one of the causes of
            the war. But, even if that is so, and "they" are hiding this bit of history
            from us, I don't see how it strengthens the argument to legalize, ahem, hemp
            these days, with sails and cordage being made of other things.

            Ann Wass

          • Colin
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 2, 2009
              Also linen trousers, knapsacks, jackets etc.. were often made from
              Russia Sheeting aka Hemp...I use it...Russia Sheeting that is
              Yrs
              Colin Murphy
              USS CON 1812 MG
              USMCHC

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Allie" <allies@...> wrote:

              > Not sure but at the time of the war all of the sails and cordage used
              > by the British and US Navies as well as the merchant fleets were made
              > of hemp. In the United States all the military tents were also made
              of
              > hemp. As late as WWII hemp was used for tentage ropes and woven in to
              > cartridge belts.Lucky you if you can find the old WWII "Hemp for
              > Victory Poster. The government had them destroyed and they are now
              > worth a fortune.
              >
              > Steve Allie

            • Mark Dickerson
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
                Over the last 10 to 15 years, there has been an organized attempt in Kent
                County to increase production, and marketing of hemp. This is the
                industrial type with insufficient amount of tetrehydrocannabinol (THC) to
                be used as a drug. Few people realize that there is 'industrial' hemp, and
                "fun" hemp. Hundreds of acres of the industrial variety have been legally
                grown in the county, but there has been unsatisfactory inroads to the US
                market to sell the raw or finished product.

                Perhaps they can be convinced to make 1812 tents.

                Mark Dickerson

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
                  Mark,
                  I haven't looked at the industry in lately but the state of things
                  about five years ago was that the stuff was being used to make oil ,
                  seed foods, soaps, skin care and other health items. The long fibres
                  were being mixed with recycled tire rubber and made into very durable
                  shingles that look like slate, but no paper, rope or fabric at that
                  point. That's what we need though. It's the same process as turning
                  flax into linen so the technology exists. The problem is finding
                  someone or some company with the desire and backing to create the mill.
                  I have had many garments made from hemp and they wear like iron. I
                  made my US backpack from hemp canvas and it looks great.

                  Craig Williams
                  On 4-Feb-09, at 10:45 AM, Mark Dickerson wrote:

                  > Over the last 10 to 15 years, there has been an organized attempt
                  > in Kent
                  > County to increase production, and marketing of hemp. This is the
                  > industrial type with insufficient amount of tetrehydrocannabinol
                  > (THC) to
                  > be used as a drug. Few people realize that there is 'industrial'
                  > hemp, and
                  > "fun" hemp. Hundreds of acres of the industrial variety have been
                  > legally
                  > grown in the county, but there has been unsatisfactory inroads to
                  > the US
                  > market to sell the raw or finished product.
                  >
                  > Perhaps they can be convinced to make 1812 tents.
                  >
                  > Mark Dickerson

                • roy winders
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
                    Actually, there was never a shortage of hemp in 1812, the trouble started
                    when the supply of twinkies ran out.