Was 1812 fought over Hemp??

    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 2, 2009
      Was Cheech and Chong in the same 1812 Regiment?

      --- "Jim Hill" wrote:

      Wow. Far out man.
      Not sure about the hemp connection with 1812.
      Interesting though.
      Sincerely
      Michael Phelps
    • Craig Williams
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 2, 2009
        An interesting theory or basis for a thesis at some more liberal
        institution.
        Perhaps even an entertaining seminar.
        The writer does not make the distinction that Cannabis has several
        varieties and the ones used for industry, (rope, paper,fabric food)
        are high in long fibres and extremely low in intoxicants. He just
        blankets them all as "Marijuana" or "hemp".

        It is interesting to note that Talbot was originally tasked to start
        a hemp district not tobacco.

        Craig Williams
        On 2-Feb-09, at 9:32 AM, Scott McDonald wrote:

        > OK, fair warning here, I don't really subscribe to this theory, and i
        > think there were plenty of other legitimate causes to the war, but
        > this pothead tries to make a case for the involvement of Russian hemp
        > trade as a principal cause for the War of 1812.
        >
        > http://www.thc-ministry.net/forum/archive/the-war-of-1812-over-
        > hempthey-didnt-to-tell-you-in-school-1247.htm
        >
        > Is there anything to this? Don't ask me how I found this web page
        > either, I just sort of stumbled on to it. Really, it has nothing to
        > do with my lifestyle.
        >
        > Scott McD.

      • peter monahan
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 2, 2009
          Craig Williams wrote:

          "The writer does not make the distinction that Cannabis has several
          varieties and the ones used for industry, (rope, paper,fabric food)
          are high in long fibres and extremely low in intoxicants."

          "Always with the negative vibes, Moriarity, always with the negative
          vibes!"

          (mutter mutter... officer; mutter mutter.. partypooper)
        • Kevin Windsor
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 2, 2009
            That explains a lot about the navy during the War!

            On Lake Ontario Yeo and Chauncey wouldn't fight because they were cruising
            around to find a 7-11 that had those Jamaican beef patties, and Perry and
            Barclay fought because they were "jones-ing"!

            Dude....I get it now!!

            KW
          • Stephen Allie
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 2, 2009
              Not sure but at the time of the war all of the sails and cordage used
              by the British and US Navies as well as the merchant fleets were made
              of hemp. In the United States all the military tents were also made of
              hemp. As late as WWII hemp was used for tentage ropes and woven in to
              cartridge belts.Lucky you if you can find the old WWII "Hemp for
              Victory Poster. The government had them destroyed and they are now
              worth a fortune.

              Steve Allie
            • annbwass@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 2, 2009
                But seriously, folks, the argument does make sense, as one of the causes of
                the war. But, even if that is so, and "they" are hiding this bit of history
                from us, I don't see how it strengthens the argument to legalize, ahem, hemp
                these days, with sails and cordage being made of other things.

                Ann Wass

              • Colin
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 2, 2009
                  Also linen trousers, knapsacks, jackets etc.. were often made from
                  Russia Sheeting aka Hemp...I use it...Russia Sheeting that is
                  Yrs
                  Colin Murphy
                  USS CON 1812 MG
                  USMCHC

                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Allie" <allies@...> wrote:

                  > Not sure but at the time of the war all of the sails and cordage used
                  > by the British and US Navies as well as the merchant fleets were made
                  > of hemp. In the United States all the military tents were also made
                  of
                  > hemp. As late as WWII hemp was used for tentage ropes and woven in to
                  > cartridge belts.Lucky you if you can find the old WWII "Hemp for
                  > Victory Poster. The government had them destroyed and they are now
                  > worth a fortune.
                  >
                  > Steve Allie

                • Mark Dickerson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
                    Over the last 10 to 15 years, there has been an organized attempt in Kent
                    County to increase production, and marketing of hemp. This is the
                    industrial type with insufficient amount of tetrehydrocannabinol (THC) to
                    be used as a drug. Few people realize that there is 'industrial' hemp, and
                    "fun" hemp. Hundreds of acres of the industrial variety have been legally
                    grown in the county, but there has been unsatisfactory inroads to the US
                    market to sell the raw or finished product.

                    Perhaps they can be convinced to make 1812 tents.

                    Mark Dickerson

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
                      Mark,
                      I haven't looked at the industry in lately but the state of things
                      about five years ago was that the stuff was being used to make oil ,
                      seed foods, soaps, skin care and other health items. The long fibres
                      were being mixed with recycled tire rubber and made into very durable
                      shingles that look like slate, but no paper, rope or fabric at that
                      point. That's what we need though. It's the same process as turning
                      flax into linen so the technology exists. The problem is finding
                      someone or some company with the desire and backing to create the mill.
                      I have had many garments made from hemp and they wear like iron. I
                      made my US backpack from hemp canvas and it looks great.

                      Craig Williams
                      On 4-Feb-09, at 10:45 AM, Mark Dickerson wrote:

                      > Over the last 10 to 15 years, there has been an organized attempt
                      > in Kent
                      > County to increase production, and marketing of hemp. This is the
                      > industrial type with insufficient amount of tetrehydrocannabinol
                      > (THC) to
                      > be used as a drug. Few people realize that there is 'industrial'
                      > hemp, and
                      > "fun" hemp. Hundreds of acres of the industrial variety have been
                      > legally
                      > grown in the county, but there has been unsatisfactory inroads to
                      > the US
                      > market to sell the raw or finished product.
                      >
                      > Perhaps they can be convinced to make 1812 tents.
                      >
                      > Mark Dickerson

                    • roy winders
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
                        Actually, there was never a shortage of hemp in 1812, the trouble started
                        when the supply of twinkies ran out.