John Woodburn (Woody) Lambe

  • Tom Ross
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 30, 2009
      Just heard some very sad news from Nick Wells that Woody has passed
      away. I have no other details other than more information will be
      available in the London Free Press in Saturday's paper. I did want to
      say that he was a founding member of the Upper Thames Military
      Reenactment Society (Royal Scots -Light Company). He was an outdoor
      education teacher and in the 1970s began doing first person impressions
      of voyagers. He later perfected the recruiting sergeant impression and
      became Governor Simcoe in 1993 for the Ontario Bicentennial. Woody was
      many things to many people. He had a phenomenal memory and could
      memorized long passages of poetry and was best known for his singing
      and banjo playing. He wrote many folk songs and the one that is best
      known is his Battle of Stoney Creek. I know he is up in heaven singing
      that song as I speak. I also know that he will be sadly missed by all
      who ever had the honour of meeting him.
      God Bless Him and in his own words (as Govenor Simcoe) Party On!

      Tom Ross
      UTMRS
    • Victor Suthren
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 30, 2009
        All hands, remove headdress. Pipe the 'Still'.....
        Vic Suthren

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 31, 2009
          Thanks Tom. I am personally very saddened by his passing but I know he is
          in a better place. Woody was one of the first re-enactors I met.

          My world is a little better because I knew him and a little less because he
          has left it.

          Kevin

          89th

          _____

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 31, 2009
            Visitation for Woody will be held at Longworth Funeral Home (845
            Devonshire Ave, Woodstock- 519-539-0004)on Monday 4 to 8 and a
            memorial service will take place on Tuesday at 1:30. A reception will
            follow the memorial service. Living historians are asked to wear
            their uniforms.

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Windsor"
            <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Tom. I am personally very saddened by his passing but I
            know he is
            > in a better place. Woody was one of the first re-enactors I met.
            >
            > My world is a little better because I knew him and a little less
            because he
            > has left it.
            >

            > Kevin
            >
            > 89th
            >

            > _____

            On Behalf
            > Of Tom Ross
            > Sent: January 30, 2009 8:35 PM
            > To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: 1812 John Woodburn (Woody) Lambe
            >

            > Just heard some very sad news from Nick Wells that Woody has passed
            > away. I have no other details other than more information will be
            > available in the London Free Press in Saturday's paper. I did want
            > say that he was a founding member of the Upper Thames Military
            > Reenactment Society (Royal Scots -Light Company). He was an outdoor
            > education teacher and in the 1970s began doing first person
            impressions
            > of voyagers. He later perfected the recruiting sergeant impression
            and
            > became Governor Simcoe in 1993 for the Ontario Bicentennial. Woody
            was
            > many things to many people. He had a phenomenal memory and could
            > memorized long passages of poetry and was best known for his
            singing
            > and banjo playing. He wrote many folk songs and the one that is
            best
            > known is his Battle of Stoney Creek. I know he is up in heaven
            singing
            > that song as I speak. I also know that he will be sadly missed by
            all
            > who ever had the honour of meeting him.
            > God Bless Him and in his own words (as Govenor Simcoe) Party On!
            >
            > Tom Ross
            > UTMRS

          • James Yaworsky
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 31, 2009
              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Ross" <royals1@...> wrote:

              > Visitation for Woody will be held at Longworth Funeral Home [snip]

              Up to this post, I was still kind of hoping that it was some sort of
              misunderstanding and it wasn't *Woody* who had left us, but some other
              guy named John Lambe... he would have got a kick out of a "mistaken
              report" of his demise...

              The last time I talked to Woody, he was still in fine form. I find I
              can't recollect just where or when that was - the events all blur
              together over the years - but fortunately for me, Woody at his best is
              the way I get to remember him.

              Jim Yaworsky
            • Susan Spencer
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 1, 2009
                Such sad news -- Woody will indeed be missed. Over his many, many
                years in the hobby, he touched and influenced many people, both public
                and re-enactors alike. Knowing him enriched us all, in many different
                ways.

                His passing will truly leave a hole in our community.
                -- Sioux
              • Tom Ross
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 1, 2009
                  LAMBE, John Woodburn (Woody) - Peacefully, at True Davidson Acres in
                  Toronto on Friday, January 30th, 2009 at the age of 70. Woody will be
                  dearly missed by his wife Lois Tilden Lambe of Kingston, and will be
                  forever remembered as a truly loving and devoted father by his
                  daughter Rachel Lambe, her husband Randy Pryce and his only grandson
                  Jack, of Toronto. He will be remembered with love by his sister Anna
                  Woodburn Lambe and her partner Jane Abray of Toronto and Anna's sons
                  Tim, Woody and Ben (Sarah) Hamel. Fondly remembered by Jane Gray,
                  Chris and Rochelle and their daughters Lauren and Meghan McNabb and
                  Sean and Petruschka McNabb and David and Trudi Barrett and their sons
                  Drew and Flynn. Predeceased by his wife Jane Barrett and his parents
                  Ethelmary Tilden and John Woodburn Lambe. He is also survived by many
                  cousins who will never forget him. Born in Hamilton, he graduated
                  from OAC and moved to Oxford County where he was a sheep farmer and
                  teacher for over 40 years. He will be best remembered for the many
                  years he ran the Oxford Field Studies Centre where he touched the
                  lives of so many students. He had a love of history and was active in
                  historical re-enactment for over 25 years. He was a musician and a
                  poet but most of all, Woody was a renaissance man and will be
                  remembered in a special way by everyone who knew him. Visitation will
                  be on Monday, February 2nd, 2009 from 4:00 - 8:30 p.m. at Longworth
                  Funeral Home, 845 Devonshire Ave., Woodstock ON, 519-539-0004 where
                  the memorial service will be held on Tuesday, February 3rd at 1:30
                  p.m. Reception to follow. Private family burial at a later date.
                  Memorial donations can be made to St. Joseph's Hospital Cognitive
                  Neurology/Alzheimer's Unit or the charity of your choice. Online
                  condolences at www.longworthfuneralhome.com

                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Spencer" <spencersmerc@...>