Nazis, War of 1812 Re-Enacting

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 30, 2009
      Now living in Kitchener Ontario Canada (approx a hour west of Toronto)

      For those who don't know Kitchener: a short History Lesson

      On June 9, 1912, Berlin officially became a City and was considered
      to be Canada's German Capital. However, with the outbreak of the
      First World War in 1914 came anti-German sentiment and an internal
      conflict ensued as the City was forced to confront its cultural
      distinctiveness. There was pressure for the City to change its name
      from Berlin, and in 1916 following much debate and controversy, the
      name of the City was changed to Kitchener, after the British General
      Horatio Herbert Kitchener who won fame during the Boer War.

      I have found out that not all Germans were Nazis as not all Americans
      were War Hawks, etc.

      I agree with our Yahoo Group owner, James Yaworsky, when he says,
      "I think the List has now heard enough opinions on whether anybody
      should ever be re-enacting SS troops." As I agree the event, The
      Battle of the Plains of Abraham, should be debated on another Yahoo
      Group as it and Naziz are not 1812-1815. I also agree with the
      statement made by Sue McLean, "Let us not forget that attrocities
      were committed during the 1812 - 1814 period"

      I consider Victor Suthren a friend and respect his feeling and
      statements regarding all things Military. I also enjoyed his talk on
      April 21, 2006 'Jack was every inch a sailor: The British Navy during
      the War of 1812'. My post about German WW2 soldiers at Fort Malden
      during their Timeline Event was directed to him and he has responded.

      I started the thread "NAZIS" therefore I claim the right I to end it.
      The thread labeled Nazis is done.

      Now, the Brownstown and Monguagon Event (just south of Detroit) they
      tried to organize a good event but it was overshadowed by the wading
      pool and rock and Roll music blaring over the parks loudspeakers. Jim
      again is correct stating no redcoats were present at the
      actual action. That is why at the event, 'Mississinewa 1812' near
      Marion, Indiana I announce that the spectators are not going to see a
      re-enactment of the Battle of Mississinewa because there were no
      redcoats at the original Battle of Mississinewa. Instead they see a
      Tactical from the War of 1812.

      Personal note: What ever happened to Mike Brown (late of the 41st)?

      War of 1812 re-enactors will be busy in February with
      Feb 5-8 Reenactor Fest - Chicago, IL
      Feb 21-22 Battle of Ogdensburg - Ogdnesburg, NY
      Feb 28 History Conference, Mohawk College - Hamilton, ON

      Now to shovel more snow!

      Yrs.
      L2

      United States Forces 1812
      http://usforces1812.tripod.com

      Crown Forces North America 1812
      http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

      WAR Of 1812 Events

      Sutlers & Merchants
      http://1812crownforces.tripod.com/sutlersmerchants

      1812/2009 Grand Tactical Webpages
      http://www.cryslersfarm.com
      http://1812grandtactical.tripod.com
      Annual War of 1812 Grand Tactical
      July 11-12, 2009 Crysler's Farm
      Morrisburg, Ontario, Canada
    • RICHARD HARDMAN
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 30, 2009
        Seems to me that it was Kitchener who invented the concentration camp.
         Richard Hardman

        ________________________________

        http://royal. scots.tripod. com/warof1812eve ntslist

      • ronaldjdale@netscape.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 30, 2009
          What about the POW camps in the American Civil War?

          Ron

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 30, 2009
            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, ronaldjdale@... wrote:

            > What about the POW camps in the American Civil War?
            >
            > Ron

            This is drifting too far off topic, gentlemen. And anyway, you're
            both wrong. In 415 BC, Athens dispatched a massive expeditionary
            force to attack Syracuse in Sicily; the attack failed disastrously,
            with the destruction of the entire force, in 413 BC. The Athenian
            prisoners were confined in the quarries of Syracuse by the victors,
            where conditions approached those of what we'd call a "concentration
            camp".

            Generally, pre-Nazi concentration camps were not designed deliberately
            to exterminate the inmates, however.

            End of thread, please.

            Jim Yaworsky
            Moderator
          • BritcomHMP@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 30, 2009
              In a message dated 1/30/2009 9:32:56 PM Central Standard Time,
              shelldrake@... writes:

              Seems to me that it was Kitchener who invented the concentration camp.

              -----------------------------

              Quite true but it was the 'Narzis' (Churchilian pronunciation) that invented
              the death/extermination camp that they called concentration camps, the
              function was rather different in that the British wanted to keep the Boers where
              they could keep an eye on them, not commit genocide.

              steps!
              cemailfooterNO62)

            • BritcomHMP@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 30, 2009
                In a message dated 1/30/2009 10:03:55 PM Central Standard Time,
                yawors1@... writes:

                End of thread, please.

                -----------------

                Sorry Jim, answered before I read this.

                Absolutely agree
                steps!
                cemailfooterNO62)

              • howard simcoe
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 31, 2009
                  Hello all and greetings from the Penal colonies.

                  As I have a full mail box dealing with "WWII Nazi" talk

                  I don't say much on this group since I have moved to Australia, but I thought I should just put in my two cents worth.

                  The closest I have ever seen as "SS" or "SS types", would have be "The Brunswick troops" black faced sky blue with death head shako badges of which there is a unit in Australia.

                  I Believe the all this "WWII Nazi" talk should be left to the WWII groups as it really has no place in 1812 or a group dealing with the history of the war of 1812.

                  My two cents worth take it or leave it

                  I now step off my soap box and shut up :)

                  Howard

                  To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.comFrom: ronaldjdale@...: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 22:57:12 -0500Subject: Re: Nazis, War of 1812 Re-Enacting

                  What about the POW camps in the American Civil War?Ron-----Original Message-----From: RICHARD HARDMAN <shelldrake@...>To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.comSent: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 10:32 pmSubject: Re: Nazis, War of 1812 Re-EnactingSeems to me that it was Kitchener who invented the concentration camp.? ?Richard Hardman ________________________________From: Larry Lozon <larrylozon@...>To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.comSent: Friday, January 30, 2009 12:02:51 PMSubject: Nazis, War of 1812 Re-EnactingNow living in Kitchener Ontario Canada (approx a hour west of Toronto)For those who don't know Kitchener: a short History LessonOn June 9, 1912, Berlin officially became a City and was considered to be Canada's German Capital. However, with the outbreak of the First World War in 1914 came anti-German sentiment and an internal conflict ensued as the City was forced to confront its cultural distinctiveness. There was pressure for the City to change its name from Berlin, and in 1916 following much debate and controversy, the name of the City was changed to Kitchener, after the British General Horatio Herbert Kitchener who won fame during the Boer War.I have found out that not all Germans were Nazis as not all Americans were War Hawks, etc.I agree with our Yahoo Group owner, James Yaworsky, when he says, "I think the List has now heard enough opinions on whether anybody should ever be re-enacting SS troops." As I agree the event, The Battle of the Plains of Abraham, should be debated on another Yahoo Group as it and Naziz are not 1812-1815. I also agree with the statement made by Sue McLean, "Let us not forget that attrocities were committed during the 1812 - 1814 period" I consider Victor Suthren a friend and respect his feeling and statements regarding all things Military. I also enjoyed his talk on April 21, 2006 'Jack was every inch a sailor: The British Navy during the War of 1812'. My post about German WW2 soldiers at Fort Malden during their Timeline Event was directed to him and he has responded. I started the thread "NAZIS" therefore I claim the right I to end it. The thread labeled Nazis is done. Now, the Brownstown and Monguagon Event (just south of Detroit) they tried to organize a good event but it was overshadowed by the wading pool and rock and Roll music blaring over the parks loudspeakers. Jim again is correct stating no redcoats were present at theactual action. That is why at the event, 'Mississinewa 1812' near Marion, Indiana I announce that the spectators are not going to see a re-enactment of the Battle of Mississinewa because there were no redcoats at the original Battle of Mississinewa. Instead they see a Tactical from the War of 1812. Personal note: What ever happened to Mike Brown (late of the 41st)?War of 1812 re-enactors will be busy in February withFeb 5-8 Reenactor Fest - Chicago, IL Feb 21-22 Battle of Ogdensburg - Ogdnesburg, NY Feb 28 History Conference, Mohawk College - Hamilton, ONNow to shovel more snow!Yrs.L2United States Forces 1812http://usforces1812 .tripod.comCrown Forces North America 1812http://1812crownfor ces.tripod. comWAR Of 1812 Eventshttp://royal. scots.tripod. com/warof1812eve ntslistSutlers & Merchantshttp://1812crownfor ces.tripod. com/sutlersmerch ants1812/2009 Grand Tactical Webpageshttp://www.cryslers farm.comhttp://1812grandtac tical.tripod. comAnnual War of 1812 Grand TacticalJuly 11-12, 2009 Crysler's FarmMorrisburg, Ontario, Canada[Non-text portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed]