Re: 1812 Nazis

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 30, 2009
      In a message dated 1/29/2009 5:29:12 PM Central Standard Time,
      ray.hobbs@... writes:

      I still wonder at the people who could produce Beethoven and Bach,
      Brecht and Goethe, could so enthusiastically endorse the racist
      policies of the Third Reich

      Many years ago on one of my frequent working visits to Germany I went to the
      museum in Rashtadt (? if that's the spelling) which I always did to see the
      splendid collection of Royal and Imperial militaria. When they had a wonderful
      exhibition 'The German Jewish Soldier' they had the standard of the Imperial
      Jewish Batalion in WW1, and even the uniform of an Imperial army Rabbi
      (basicaly a chaplain with the crosses replaced by stars of David)! But the most
      affecting exhibit were two photograps of a reserve officer, one of him in full
      dress uniform with picklehaub and 1st class Iron Cross and a moustache styled
      like the Emperors, and a second one with him wearing what looked like
      striped pajamas and a cloth star, strangely enough his moustache, though somewhat
      desheveled, bore more resemblane to the Kaiser's than der Furer's.
      steps!
      cemailfooterNO62)

    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 30, 2009
        In a message dated 1/29/2009 7:19:16 PM Central Standard Time,
        suthren@... writes:

        if the only remedy offered for those offended by playacted Nazis is "don't
        attend" events, it isn't enough; re-enactors are all tarred with the same
        brush in the public mind. In representing the 49th or 89th or 1st US, you can
        represent men who fought with honour for regimental honour or a cause they
        believed in. How are you going to re-enact the SS or einsatztruppen?

        Dear Vic,

        I absolutely take your point, particularly as one doesn't HAVE to depict SS
        to depict German WW2 soldiers though for certain campaigns I supose one has
        to. In particular one has no excuse to place specific Nazi decoration (as
        oposed to German) or God forbid a Nazi pary badge on the uniform. There were many
        honourable German troops but SS even the purse combat troops, will always be
        tainted with what that formation did in fields other than the field of
        battle.

        It is interesting that in Berlin the only WW2 soldiers to have a monument to
        their memory are the July plotters, I have often thought it would be fun to
        go to a timeline event dressed in a German staff uniform with an eye patch and
        carrying a briefcase which keeps getting placed near the SS officers :-).

        Cheers,

        steps!
        cemailfooterNO62)

      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 30, 2009
          In a message dated 1/29/2009 8:18:22 PM Central Standard Time,
          ronaldjdale@... writes:

          And just when I was going to bring up Cromwell and Drogheda.? Shucks!

          Pity, I always like pointing out that the commander and most of the troops
          attacked by Cromwells men were English, they were killed for being Royalist,
          not Irish (doen't make the massacre any better of cours, in fact as an English
          Royalist it just re-inforces my contempt for Cromell.

          Cheers,

          steps!
          cemailfooterNO62)

        • HAROLD DENNISON
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 30, 2009
            Now "that's" funny!   :)

            Hal Dennison
            1-800-385-9630
            www.JustDreamLife.com

            Is your life "everything" you dreamt it would be when you were a kid?

            ------------ --------- --------- --------- -

            Dear Vic,

            I absolutely take your point, particularly as one doesn't HAVE to depict SS
            to depict German WW2 soldiers though for certain campaigns I supose one has
            to. In particular one has no excuse to place specific Nazi decoration (as
            oposed to German) or God forbid a Nazi pary badge on the uniform. There were many
            honourable German troops but SS even the purse combat troops, will always be
            tainted with what that formation did in fields other than the field of
            battle.

            It is interesting that in Berlin the only WW2 soldiers to have a monument to
            their memory are the July plotters, I have often thought it would be fun to
            go to a timeline event dressed in a German staff uniform with an eye patch and
            carrying a briefcase which keeps getting placed near the SS officers :-).

            Cheers,

            Tim
            ************ **A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy
            steps!