Plains of Abraham re-enactment

  • Kevin Windsor
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 23, 2009
      From today's Niagara Falls Review.

      The funny thing is one newspaper (Ottawa Citizen) said, "critics who have
      noted that the French wouldn't dream of re-enacting Napoleon's historic 1815
      defeat at Waterloo."

      So remember the French would NEVER show up at Waterloo!

      KW

      89th

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Why celebrate Plains of Abraham?

      Sovereigntists knock plans to re-enact historic battle, 'defeat of our
      people'

      Posted By THE CANADIAN PRESS

      Quebec sovereigntists say there's no reason to celebrate this summer's
      re-enactment of the historic 1759 battle on the Plains of Abraham in Quebec
      City.

      "I feel very uncomfortable with the idea of celebrating the defeat of our
      people because it was a conquest," Bernard Drainville, a Parti Quebecois
      member of the legislature, said Thursday.

      "I don't see why we should celebrate the defeat of the French forces by the
      British army."

      Drainville said no historian will be able to persuade him the event, which
      brought an end to French rule, should be celebrated.

      The battle, which will be re-created Aug. 1, has received financial support
      from the federal National Battlefields Commission.

      The chairman of the commission has said he was warned by Ottawa to be
      cautious about celebrating the 250th anniversary of the famous battle.

      When reporters pointed out that it wasn't a celebration but was actually a
      re-enactment, Drainville said Quebec sovereignty is one way to right the
      wrong.

      "We're sovereigntists, we're pro-independence, because we think in some way
      (we can) correct this historic fact," he said.

      "Independence would be one way of putting an end to this chapter of
      history."

    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 23, 2009
        The funny thing is one newspaper (Ottawa Citizen) said, "critics who have

        noted that the French wouldn't dream of re-enacting Napoleon's historic 1815

        defeat at Waterloo."

        So remember the French would NEVER show up at Waterloo!

        You know Kevin, what you say made me realize that when we were planning Waterloo in 90 and 95 we had no dificulty whatsoever with the French wanting to change history, they were just interested in commemorating the great deeds of their ancestors, win or loose. Some of the Belgians were a bit stroppy about it but nothing too bad. The one group (or rather person) that did get nasty, and talked of riding people down and breaking squares was a Francophile Russian (no names but those who know, know)!

        Perhaps it is the case that the less real connection one has with the histotical people the more emotional indignation one feels. Or perhaps I should just stop organizing the commemoration of a British defeat every year in New Orleans and just boycott the event; on second thoughts I think I will concentrate on trying to make it bigger and better and ensure that my countrymen who LOST the battle are never forgotten in this town!

      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 23, 2009
          PS Kevin,

          Why not send that particular paper pictures of the French participating at Waterloo?

        • Sue
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 24, 2009
            Kevin, I don't think anyone has ever accused reporters (or
            politicians)in Ottawa of being good at history.
            Sue
            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Windsor" <kevin.windsor@...>
            wrote:

            > From today's Niagara Falls Review.
            >

            > The funny thing is one newspaper (Ottawa Citizen) said, "critics who
            have
            > noted that the French wouldn't dream of re-enacting Napoleon's
            historic 1815
            > defeat at Waterloo."
            >

            > So remember the French would NEVER show up at Waterloo!
            >

            > KW
            >
            > 89th
            >

            > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            >

            > Why celebrate Plains of Abraham?
            >
            > Sovereigntists knock plans to re-enact historic battle, 'defeat of our
            > people'
            >
            > Posted By THE CANADIAN PRESS
            >

            > Quebec sovereigntists say there's no reason to celebrate this summer's
            > re-enactment of the historic 1759 battle on the Plains of Abraham in
            Quebec
            > City.
            >

            > "I feel very uncomfortable with the idea of celebrating the defeat
            of our
            > people because it was a conquest," Bernard Drainville, a Parti Quebecois
            > member of the legislature, said Thursday.
            >
            > "I don't see why we should celebrate the defeat of the French forces
            by the
            > British army."
            >
            > Drainville said no historian will be able to persuade him the event,
            which
            > brought an end to French rule, should be celebrated.
            >
            > The battle, which will be re-created Aug. 1, has received financial
            support
            > from the federal National Battlefields Commission.
            >
            > The chairman of the commission has said he was warned by Ottawa to be
            > cautious about celebrating the 250th anniversary of the famous battle.
            >
            > When reporters pointed out that it wasn't a celebration but was
            actually a
            > re-enactment, Drainville said Quebec sovereignty is one way to right the
            > wrong.
            >
            > "We're sovereigntists, we're pro-independence, because we think in
            some way
            > (we can) correct this historic fact," he said.
            >
            > "Independence would be one way of putting an end to this chapter of
            > history."

          • whittakermp
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 25, 2009
              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <saultcitysoo@...> wrote:

              > Kevin, I don't think anyone has ever accused reporters (or
              > politicians)in Ottawa of being good at history.
              > Sue
              > ---

              My letter to the editor of The Ottawa Citizen on this did not see
              print. I had a short rant about academic arrogance and the blatterings
              of the chattering classes nattering form their irory towers.

              And cited press coverage of Waterloo in June 2008.

              Michael
            • Ray Hobbs
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 25, 2009
                Michael:
                Couldn't resist.
                "I have nothing against ivory towers. One can see a lot more from up
                there." (Robertson Davies, journalist and man of letters).
                Yr Svt
                Ray H
                41st

                On 25-Jan-09, at 9:30 AM, whittakermp wrote:

                > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <saultcitysoo@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Kevin, I don't think anyone has ever accused reporters (or
                > > politicians)in Ottawa of being good at history.
                > > Sue
                > > ---
                >
                > My letter to the editor of The Ottawa Citizen on this did not see
                > print. I had a short rant about academic arrogance and the blatterings
                > of the chattering classes nattering form their irory towers.
                >
                > And cited press coverage of Waterloo in June 2008.
                >
                > Michael

              • Kevin Garrett
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 25, 2009
                  > "We're sovereigntists, we're pro-independence, because we think in
                  some way
                  > (we can) correct this historic fact," he said.

                  Y'know I always get a little nervous when these people use the
                  phrase "correct... an historical fact "

                  A fact is a fact ,is it not? Vesuvius erupted and buried Ponpeii is
                  also a fact and is similarly "non-correctable ".

                  Je me souviens does not translate as " I only remember what I want to
                  remember". I'd boycott an event that attempts to re-write history to
                  pander to revisionists such as these.

                  Kevin
                • Tom Hurlbut
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 25, 2009
                    Boycotting this event will only serve those who wish it doesn't happen at all. I think we go and show more class than those who would ignore or change history.

                    If it offends some people, why don't they just do something else that day?

                    "Major" Tom

                    > "We're sovereigntists, we're pro-independence, because we think in
                    some way
                    > (we can) correct this historic fact," he said.

                    Y'know I always get a little nervous when these people use the
                    phrase "correct... an historical fact "

                    A fact is a fact ,is it not? Vesuvius erupted and buried Ponpeii is
                    also a fact and is similarly "non-correctable ".

                    Je me souviens does not translate as " I only remember what I want to
                    remember". I'd boycott an event that attempts to re-write history to
                    pander to revisionists such as these.

                    Kevin

                    .

                  • Paul Watson
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 26, 2009
                      Hi All

                      I think we should reread the message a bit better, it wasn't what the reporter for the Citizen said, rather all the Citizen did was report what some tete carré PQ MNA said.

                      My view is if he doesn;t want to revere the memory of those who fought and died to keep Québec as a part of France, then he can stay home and plot ways to send mail bombs.   As an addendum, my family was on the losing side in that particular conflict, and my cousins and uncles will all be there as will I.

                      Paul,
                      21st US Treat's Company

                    • Sue
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 26, 2009
                        Je me souviens does not translate as " I only remember what I want to
                        remember".
                        Now that's a keeper!LOL

                        Sue
                      • Tom Hurlbut
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 27, 2009
                          I read recently that the "remember" part actually wasn't supposed to represent the French regime but something 19th century (I think it was in Beaver magazine. I'll look for it!). Anyway, it's the separatists who promote the Plains connection.

                          "Major" Tom