order of precedence

  • Kevin Windsor
    Message 1 of 49 , Jan 10, 2009
      About a week back there was talk of Regiment seniority so I thought I would
      take the chance to type what the books says!

      This is taken from the "General Regulations and Orders for the Army." 1811

      "His Majesty's Regiment of Life Guards and the Royal Regiment of Horse
      Guards have the precedence of all Corps whatever.

      On Parades the Horse Artillery, whether mounted or dismounted, take the
      right of all other Cavalry.

      The Cavalry, whether mounted or dismounted take the right of the line.

      The Royal Artillery have the precedence of other Infantry.

      The Foot Guards are next in rank.

      The Royal Veteran Battalions, when drawn up with other troops, take the
      Right of all Regiments of Infantry, except those of His Majesty's Foot
      Guards , and the Royal Artillery excepted.

      Then the Regiments of Infantry of the Line according to their Number and
      Order of Precedence

      The Militia Regiments take Rank after those of the line, according to their
      respective numbers, as fixed by lot.

      It is, however, to be understood, that this Regulation refers merely to the
      circumstances of Parade: On all other occasions, Corps are to be
      distributed, and drawn up, in the mode which the General, or other Officer
      Commanding, may judge most convenient, and best adapted for the purposes of
      the service."

      KW/89th

      Message 49 of 49 , Jan 15, 2009
        I think I must agree with post # 39025 on this matter

        If keeping with nineteenth century sense of propriety and naming the
        Regiment "the Irish Rascals" what would be the purpose of hiding the
        true number of the Regiment?!?!

        "og" wasn't taught in our schools (both Separate and Public)

        I guess I just don't get the modern way of teaching

        Yrs.,
        L2

        Peter Monahan wrote:

        "...In keeping with nineteenth century sense of propriety and writing
        conventions "8***" is intended to protect the identity of a
        regiment ... the phrase "to the left og two... means "to the left OF
        two... "