1812 Units/USA Navy/Jan 6

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2009
      1812's

      Forgive an old man who is rereading posts
      and will comment on a couple previous posts ...

      http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
      is a list of almost all 1812 Crown Forces in North America

      http://usforces1812.tripod.com
      is a list of almost all 1812 USA Forces in North America

      Michael Mathews' list is all the units subscribing to War Of 1812
      Yahoo Group

      ... it is not redundant but yet another list

      Michael Mathews wrote"
      Recreated Units on the 1812 list v. 10.9
      " Recreated Groups that are represented on the Yahoo 1812 One List. …"

      And -------------------------------

      Richard:

      Obtain a copy of

      Deep Water Sailors Shallow Water Soldiers
      Manning the United States Fleet on Lake Erie-1813
      By Gerard T. Altoff (1993)
      Library of Congress # 92-83902
      The Perry Group
      PO Box 484
      Put-in-Bay Ohio
      USA 43456

      It states:

      "Estimates vary, but somewhere between ten and twenty-five percent of
      Perry's sailors were black ..."

      This book has lists of who served in the USA Lake Erie Fleet

      Richard Lytle wrote:

      "... Who's black soldiers were they? Not in the U.S. Army any time
      before 1862, surely, and I doubt that either the U.S. Navy or Marines
      had them either..."

      And ----------------

      for those Greek Catholics, Greek Orthodox or those who follow the
      Greek calendar and celebrate Christmas on Jan 6 ( Epiphany )
      I wish them Srozhdestvom Kristovym, Wesolych Swiat and Merry
      Christmas ...
      Enjoy your cabbage rolls, perigees, borsht and of course Vodka &
      Cherry Whisky (Whiskey) !!!

      Yrs.,
      L2

      United States Forces 1812