RE: April 26th Drill day

  • Kevin Windsor
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2009
      Hi Chris, the drill day at the fort is not an "all up" thing that we have
      discussed and voted on as a committee of units. It is, however, being
      strongly encouraged for a few reasons.

      It lets us shake off the stupids before the bulk of the season starts. (as
      a Brigade)

      It lets us immediately start teaching the new stuff from the Officer/NCO
      school

      Also Bob and Dave have graciously opened "their" fort to us, and while it
      gives people something to look at before the main tourist season starts, it
      does mean staff involvement and $$ to open, staff, interpret, lock up and
      clean up a fort after we have left. (I know you know all of this!)

      So by encouraging all, many, most, a good portion of units to attend it
      means that the $$ that Parks Canada spends on opening that day isn't spent
      on 10 guys with 3 muskets! It is by no means mandatory, but as it is noted,
      strongly encouraged! Life gets in the way and that is noted and respected,
      so if some of the Lights can't make it, it is our loss that we can't hang
      out together.

      Please note this isn't an official communication from anyone with any power
      to make decisions and the Crown Forces Staff are not responsible for the
      content of this email, blah blah blah, but merely my opinions!

      KW/89

      _____

      From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of Chris McKay

      Hi Peter,
      You are correct about the Saturday (April 25). However, I was asking
      about the Sunday which is listed as an 'All units drill day' and
      says "All Ranks Crown Forces and U.S. Units encouraged to attend."
      This is the same thing it says for the GT and this event is also listed
      under the 2009 Crown Forces Events.

      Thanks,

      Chris McKay

    • Chris McKay
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2009
        Hi Kevin,
        Thanks for that note. It all makes sense now. However, in a few
        brief discussions with some of our guys, we've noted the following
        concerns with this drill day:

        1 - it's the weekend before Longwoods. As you know, this is our
        event, and a lot of our guys have roles to play in it. This becomes
        a time cruch, therefore. In the past, on the Sunday before the
        event, we've usually held a drill session at the site, so that we
        could "shake off the stupids" but also so we could walk the site,
        address last minutes concerns, make plans, and the like.

        2 - it's a one day event. From London, Fort George is about a 2.5
        hour drive, and of course it's longer from Kent County. Most of our
        guys don't mind driving, but it's had to justify driving five hours
        for a couple of hours worth of drill.

        I realize that other things get in the way of planning (such as other
        time periods), but I think that the timing of this event is going to
        make it impossible for most of our guys to make it. (In fact, I
        would love to see the NCO school moved much earlier in the year.)
        Nevertheless, I hope other groups, perhaps ones that are closer to
        the Fort, are able to make the day worthwhile.

        Chris

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Windsor"
        <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

        > Hi Chris, the drill day at the fort is not an "all up" thing that
        we have
        > discussed and voted on as a committee of units. It is, however,
        being
        > strongly encouraged for a few reasons.
        >

        > It lets us shake off the stupids before the bulk of the season
        starts. (as
        > a Brigade)
        >
        > It lets us immediately start teaching the new stuff from the
        Officer/NCO
        > school
        >

        > Also Bob and Dave have graciously opened "their" fort to us, and
        while it
        > gives people something to look at before the main tourist season
        starts, it
        > does mean staff involvement and $$ to open, staff, interpret, lock
        up and
        > clean up a fort after we have left. (I know you know all of this!)
        >

        > So by encouraging all, many, most, a good portion of units to
        attend it
        > means that the $$ that Parks Canada spends on opening that day
        isn't spent
        > on 10 guys with 3 muskets! It is by no means mandatory, but as it
        is noted,
        > strongly encouraged! Life gets in the way and that is noted and
        respected,
        > so if some of the Lights can't make it, it is our loss that we
        can't hang
        > out together.
        >

        > Please note this isn't an official communication from anyone with
        any power
        > to make decisions and the Crown Forces Staff are not responsible
        for the
        > content of this email, blah blah blah, but merely my opinions!
        >

        > KW/89
        >

        > _____
        >
        > From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com]
        On Behalf
        > Of Chris McKay
        >

        > Hi Peter,
        > You are correct about the Saturday (April 25). However, I was
        asking
        > about the Sunday which is listed as an 'All units drill day' and
        > says "All Ranks Crown Forces and U.S. Units encouraged to attend."
        > This is the same thing it says for the GT and this event is also
        listed
        > under the 2009 Crown Forces Events.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Chris McKay

      • Dave Westhouse
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2009
          And all those concerns were considered when this weekend was
          developed. Unfortunately other weekends were just not available at the
          fort. It was the desire of many to move it away from Longwoods but it
          just didn't work out.

          If you can't make it, you can't make it. It is not mandatory for the
          'guys' to come out to it but it gives the opportunity to, as you guys
          put it 'shake off the stupids'. Lots of units have drill days, this is
          an opportunity to have them all together.

          Yes, Fort George is a bit further than say another location but it was
          the atmosphere we were looking for, and the hospitality. ie. Dave, the
          fort staff and Parks Canada.

          It is a bit of a drive but you know what? You are in re-enacting and
          it takes a drive to get anywhere and sometimes you just gotta do what
          ya gotta do.

          If future years maybe it can be moved, in 2009 it couldn't. It was
          noted but could not be moved.

          If you can make it, we'd love to have you. The 41st will make it worth
          your while if you drive out Saturday evening and stay at the fort.
          (you can hang out for longer and have a wee nip at their fund raising
          canteen).

          Again, not an official report and so forth and so on, blah.. blah.. blah.

          The NCO school is not that old but it did start off further away from
          Longwoods and slowly crept toward it to the point that it was the
          previous weekend the last two years. Now with advance notice maybe it
          can be pushed back again. We did try for this year.

          Dave.

          2005
          April 9-10 . . . Crown Forces School, Fort York - Toronto, ON
          May 7-8 . . . Battle of Longwoods - London ON

          2006
          Apr 22-23 . . . Crown Forces School - Fort York, Toronto, ON
          May 6-7 . . . Longwoods - London, ON

          2007
          Sat Apr 28 . . Infantry Officer & NCO School of Instruction
          May 5-6 . . . Longwoods - London, ON

          2008
          April 26 . . . Officer/NCO School, Fort York - Toronto, ON
          May 3-4 . . . Battle of Longwoods - London, ON

          Re: April 26th Drill day