Alexandria 1814: August 29-30, 2009

  • Todd Post
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2009
      This year the "Alexandria Surrenders" event is expanding into a two-
      day event for both British and American interpretations, August 29-30,
      2009 at Carlyle House Historic Site & Pohick Bay Regional Park in
      northern Virginia.

      Johnny Bull Revisits Alexandria...
      At the Carlyle House will be a one-day "occupation" event by British
      marines and sailors interpreting the August 28, 1814 surrender of the
      city to Gordon's squadron following the burning of Washington.

      “Free Trade and Sailor’s Rights!”
      The same weekend, a two-day event will be held at nearby Pohick Bay
      Regional Park to see how the Americans fought back at the “White House
      Battery” — manned by sailors of the United States Navy and Virginia
      militia — exchanging fire with Gordon's squadron as they withdrew back
      down the Potomac under the banner of “Free Trade and Sailor’s Rights”.

      Following the one-day event at Carlyle House, any British marines or
      sailors that would like to camp over at Pohick and remain to join
      Sunday's portion of the event are welcome to do so.

      A web page has been posted at www.alexandria1814.org, though some
      details are still being worked out with the sites and will be posted
      as soon as they are finalized.

      Cheers,
      Todd Post
      12th US Infantry Regiment
      www.12thinfantry.org
    • Bob Boynton, RNCR, 16th, etc
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2009
        Todd
        Would other British Regiments that fought in the Chesapeake be welcome,
        besides the Marines and sailors? We are the 21st in NC and might, with our
        friends in the 4th (also in NC) travel. Any problems with that?
        Bob Boynton, 21st RNBF

[...]

        ------------------------------------

        War of 1812 Living History:
        A wide-ranging information exchange
        for all participants and supporters

        Crown Forces Unit Listing:
        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
        American Forces Unit Listing
        http://usforces1812.tripod.com

        WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
      • Todd Post
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2009
          Bob,

          We are limiting it to just Royal Navy and Royal Marines at this time.
          While part of it has to do with the fact that Gordon did not have any
          regulars with him when he occupied Alexandria, it has more to do with
          the fact that the site is in the heart of an 18th/19th century city
          and has very limited space, so we're going for a focused interpretation.

          Cheers,
          Todd Post
          12th US Infantry Regiment
          www.12thinfantry.org

          On Jan 4, 2009, at 8:24 AM, WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com wrote:

          > Todd
          > Would other British Regiments that fought in the Chesapeake be
          > welcome,
          > besides the Marines and sailors? We are the 21st in NC and might,
          > with our
          > friends in the 4th (also in NC) travel. Any problems with that?
          > Bob Boynton, 21st RNBF
        • Bob Boynton, RNCR, 16th, etc
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 5, 2009
            Hi Todd
            Hmmmm, well ok, Maybe I'll have to make me a coat of the 69th NC or the 10th US (or the Mecklenburg Co home guard - the silverhairs) You might need me then <grin>
            Bob
            We are limiting it to just Royal Navy and Royal Marines at this time.
            While part of it has to do with the fact that Gordon did not have any
            regulars with him when he occupied Alexandria, it has more to do with
            the fact that the site is in the heart of an 18th/19th century city
            and has very limited space, so we're going for a focused interpretation.

            Cheers,
            Todd Post
            12th US Infantry Regiment
            www.12thinfantry.org

            On Jan 4, 2009, at 8:24 AM, WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com wrote:

            > Todd
            > Would other British Regiments that fought in the Chesapeake be
            > welcome,
            > besides the Marines and sailors? We are the 21st in NC and might,
            > with our
            > friends in the 4th (also in NC) travel. Any problems with that?
            > Bob Boynton, 21st RNBF

          • Brian Howard
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 6, 2009
              You could always suit up with us as the 20th US or Virginia Militia.

              Brian Howard
              Fort Norfolk Garrison
              20th US / 2nd VA Militia