Re: Recreated Units on the 1812 list v. 10.9

  • whittakermp
    Message 1 of 39 , Jan 3, 2009
      I thought only the HRA served a Pontius Pilate's body guard?

      Michael

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Garrett" <kevingarrett@...>
      wrote:> > >
      > > Just curious though, and without wishing to start a controversy -
      > on what basis is the 1st Foot considered an 'elite' unit..? I know
      > they are the most senior Regiment in the British Army (and are
      hence nown as Pontius Pilate's bodyguard etc..) but aren't they just
      a bog standard infantry unit like the rest of us..?

      > > Cheers,
      > >
      > > John
      > >
      > > >Royal Scots an elite unit?
      >
      > > It's quite simple John.....just ask us!
      >
      > Seriously, if you want a fortress assaulted and taken with bayonets
      > only, or your floorboards ripped up for firewood, we're the
      Regiment
      > of choice!
      >
      > Kevin
      > Pioneer and tailor
      > Royal Scots Grens
      > >

      > > [>

    • Ray Hobbs
      Message 39 of 39 , Jan 6, 2009
        Thanks for this reference Ron. It was known to me, and I have it on
        file. However, it begins its study of the data in 1815, and continues
        throughout the rest of the century. As far as I recall, none of its
        data is from 1812-1814.
        I was thinking of a study more relevant to the war of 1812.
        However, it is a thorough study, and well worth a read.
        Yrs etc.
        Ray Hobbs
        41st Regt.