Re: Events

  • peter monahan
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2009
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Chris McKay" <PrivateCannon@...>
      wrote:
      Is the drill day at Fort George in April a Crown Forces all-up event?
      I thought it was still unconfirmed (that was the last I heard) and I
      don't know how many of our guys even know about it because of that.

      Chris

      The April event at Ft George is the annual NCO School, and identified
      as such on the Scots event list. In other words, sergeants and
      corporals welcome, enlisted swine get to sleep in that day! :7)

      Peter Monahan
    • Chris McKay
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2009
        Hi Peter,
        You are correct about the Saturday (April 25). However, I was asking
        about the Sunday which is listed as an 'All units drill day' and
        says "All Ranks Crown Forces and U.S. Units encouraged to attend."
        This is the same thing it says for the GT and this event is also listed
        under the 2009 Crown Forces Events.

        Thanks,

        Chris McKay

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "peter monahan" <petemonahan@...>
        wrote:

        > The April event at Ft George is the annual NCO School, and identified
        > as such on the Scots event list. In other words, sergeants and
        > corporals welcome, enlisted swine get to sleep in that day! :7)
        >
        > Peter Monahan

      • Kevin Windsor
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2009
          Hi Chris, the drill day at the fort is not an "all up" thing that we have
          discussed and voted on as a committee of units. It is, however, being
          strongly encouraged for a few reasons.

          It lets us shake off the stupids before the bulk of the season starts. (as
          a Brigade)

          It lets us immediately start teaching the new stuff from the Officer/NCO
          school

          Also Bob and Dave have graciously opened "their" fort to us, and while it
          gives people something to look at before the main tourist season starts, it
          does mean staff involvement and $$ to open, staff, interpret, lock up and
          clean up a fort after we have left. (I know you know all of this!)

          So by encouraging all, many, most, a good portion of units to attend it
          means that the $$ that Parks Canada spends on opening that day isn't spent
          on 10 guys with 3 muskets! It is by no means mandatory, but as it is noted,
          strongly encouraged! Life gets in the way and that is noted and respected,
          so if some of the Lights can't make it, it is our loss that we can't hang
          out together.

          Please note this isn't an official communication from anyone with any power
          to make decisions and the Crown Forces Staff are not responsible for the
          content of this email, blah blah blah, but merely my opinions!

          KW/89

          _____

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 3, 2009
            Hi Kevin,
            Thanks for that note. It all makes sense now. However, in a few
            brief discussions with some of our guys, we've noted the following
            concerns with this drill day:

            1 - it's the weekend before Longwoods. As you know, this is our
            event, and a lot of our guys have roles to play in it. This becomes
            a time cruch, therefore. In the past, on the Sunday before the
            event, we've usually held a drill session at the site, so that we
            could "shake off the stupids" but also so we could walk the site,
            address last minutes concerns, make plans, and the like.

            2 - it's a one day event. From London, Fort George is about a 2.5
            hour drive, and of course it's longer from Kent County. Most of our
            guys don't mind driving, but it's had to justify driving five hours
            for a couple of hours worth of drill.

            I realize that other things get in the way of planning (such as other
            time periods), but I think that the timing of this event is going to
            make it impossible for most of our guys to make it. (In fact, I
            would love to see the NCO school moved much earlier in the year.)
            Nevertheless, I hope other groups, perhaps ones that are closer to
            the Fort, are able to make the day worthwhile.

            Chris

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Windsor"
            <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

            > Hi Chris, the drill day at the fort is not an "all up" thing that
            we have
            > discussed and voted on as a committee of units. It is, however,
            being
            > strongly encouraged for a few reasons.
            >

            > It lets us shake off the stupids before the bulk of the season
            starts. (as
            > a Brigade)
            >
            > It lets us immediately start teaching the new stuff from the
            Officer/NCO
            > school
            >

            > Also Bob and Dave have graciously opened "their" fort to us, and
            while it
            > gives people something to look at before the main tourist season
            starts, it
            > does mean staff involvement and $$ to open, staff, interpret, lock
            up and
            > clean up a fort after we have left. (I know you know all of this!)
            >

            > So by encouraging all, many, most, a good portion of units to
            attend it
            > means that the $$ that Parks Canada spends on opening that day
            isn't spent
            > on 10 guys with 3 muskets! It is by no means mandatory, but as it
            is noted,
            > strongly encouraged! Life gets in the way and that is noted and
            respected,
            > so if some of the Lights can't make it, it is our loss that we
            can't hang
            > out together.
            >

            > Please note this isn't an official communication from anyone with
            any power
            > to make decisions and the Crown Forces Staff are not responsible
            for the
            > content of this email, blah blah blah, but merely my opinions!
            >

            > KW/89
            >

            > _____
            >
            > From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com]
            On Behalf
            > Of Chris McKay
            >

            > Hi Peter,
            > You are correct about the Saturday (April 25). However, I was
            asking
            > about the Sunday which is listed as an 'All units drill day' and
            > says "All Ranks Crown Forces and U.S. Units encouraged to attend."
            > This is the same thing it says for the GT and this event is also
            listed
            > under the 2009 Crown Forces Events.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Chris McKay

          • Dave Westhouse
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2009
              And all those concerns were considered when this weekend was
              developed. Unfortunately other weekends were just not available at the
              fort. It was the desire of many to move it away from Longwoods but it
              just didn't work out.

              If you can't make it, you can't make it. It is not mandatory for the
              'guys' to come out to it but it gives the opportunity to, as you guys
              put it 'shake off the stupids'. Lots of units have drill days, this is
              an opportunity to have them all together.

              Yes, Fort George is a bit further than say another location but it was
              the atmosphere we were looking for, and the hospitality. ie. Dave, the
              fort staff and Parks Canada.

              It is a bit of a drive but you know what? You are in re-enacting and
              it takes a drive to get anywhere and sometimes you just gotta do what
              ya gotta do.

              If future years maybe it can be moved, in 2009 it couldn't. It was
              noted but could not be moved.

              If you can make it, we'd love to have you. The 41st will make it worth
              your while if you drive out Saturday evening and stay at the fort.
              (you can hang out for longer and have a wee nip at their fund raising
              canteen).

              Again, not an official report and so forth and so on, blah.. blah.. blah.

              The NCO school is not that old but it did start off further away from
              Longwoods and slowly crept toward it to the point that it was the
              previous weekend the last two years. Now with advance notice maybe it
              can be pushed back again. We did try for this year.

              Dave.

              2005
              April 9-10 . . . Crown Forces School, Fort York - Toronto, ON
              May 7-8 . . . Battle of Longwoods - London ON

              2006
              Apr 22-23 . . . Crown Forces School - Fort York, Toronto, ON
              May 6-7 . . . Longwoods - London, ON

              2007
              Sat Apr 28 . . Infantry Officer & NCO School of Instruction
              May 5-6 . . . Longwoods - London, ON

              2008
              April 26 . . . Officer/NCO School, Fort York - Toronto, ON
              May 3-4 . . . Battle of Longwoods - London, ON

              Re: April 26th Drill day