Events

  • Chris McKay
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2009
      Regarding the events list at
      http://royal.scots.tripod.com/warof1812eventslist - is the drill day at
      Fort George in April a Crown Forces all-up event? I thought it was
      still unconfirmed (that was the last I heard) and I don't know how many
      of our guys even know about it because of that.

      Thanks,

      Chris McKay
    • peter monahan
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2009
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Chris McKay" <PrivateCannon@...>
        wrote:
        Is the drill day at Fort George in April a Crown Forces all-up event?
        I thought it was still unconfirmed (that was the last I heard) and I
        don't know how many of our guys even know about it because of that.

        Chris

        The April event at Ft George is the annual NCO School, and identified
        as such on the Scots event list. In other words, sergeants and
        corporals welcome, enlisted swine get to sleep in that day! :7)

        Peter Monahan
      • Chris McKay
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2009
          Hi Peter,
          You are correct about the Saturday (April 25). However, I was asking
          about the Sunday which is listed as an 'All units drill day' and
          says "All Ranks Crown Forces and U.S. Units encouraged to attend."
          This is the same thing it says for the GT and this event is also listed
          under the 2009 Crown Forces Events.

          Thanks,

          Chris McKay

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "peter monahan" <petemonahan@...>
          wrote:

          > The April event at Ft George is the annual NCO School, and identified
          > as such on the Scots event list. In other words, sergeants and
          > corporals welcome, enlisted swine get to sleep in that day! :7)
          >
          > Peter Monahan

        • Kevin Windsor
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 3, 2009
            Hi Chris, the drill day at the fort is not an "all up" thing that we have
            discussed and voted on as a committee of units. It is, however, being
            strongly encouraged for a few reasons.

            It lets us shake off the stupids before the bulk of the season starts. (as
            a Brigade)

            It lets us immediately start teaching the new stuff from the Officer/NCO
            school

            Also Bob and Dave have graciously opened "their" fort to us, and while it
            gives people something to look at before the main tourist season starts, it
            does mean staff involvement and $$ to open, staff, interpret, lock up and
            clean up a fort after we have left. (I know you know all of this!)

            So by encouraging all, many, most, a good portion of units to attend it
            means that the $$ that Parks Canada spends on opening that day isn't spent
            on 10 guys with 3 muskets! It is by no means mandatory, but as it is noted,
            strongly encouraged! Life gets in the way and that is noted and respected,
            so if some of the Lights can't make it, it is our loss that we can't hang
            out together.

            Please note this isn't an official communication from anyone with any power
            to make decisions and the Crown Forces Staff are not responsible for the
            content of this email, blah blah blah, but merely my opinions!

            KW/89

            _____

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 3, 2009
              Hi Kevin,
              Thanks for that note. It all makes sense now. However, in a few
              brief discussions with some of our guys, we've noted the following
              concerns with this drill day:

              1 - it's the weekend before Longwoods. As you know, this is our
              event, and a lot of our guys have roles to play in it. This becomes
              a time cruch, therefore. In the past, on the Sunday before the
              event, we've usually held a drill session at the site, so that we
              could "shake off the stupids" but also so we could walk the site,
              address last minutes concerns, make plans, and the like.

              2 - it's a one day event. From London, Fort George is about a 2.5
              hour drive, and of course it's longer from Kent County. Most of our
              guys don't mind driving, but it's had to justify driving five hours
              for a couple of hours worth of drill.

              I realize that other things get in the way of planning (such as other
              time periods), but I think that the timing of this event is going to
              make it impossible for most of our guys to make it. (In fact, I
              would love to see the NCO school moved much earlier in the year.)
              Nevertheless, I hope other groups, perhaps ones that are closer to
              the Fort, are able to make the day worthwhile.

              Chris

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Windsor"
              <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

              > Hi Chris, the drill day at the fort is not an "all up" thing that
              we have
              > discussed and voted on as a committee of units. It is, however,
              being
              > strongly encouraged for a few reasons.
              >

              > It lets us shake off the stupids before the bulk of the season
              starts. (as
              > a Brigade)
              >
              > It lets us immediately start teaching the new stuff from the
              Officer/NCO
              > school
              >

              > Also Bob and Dave have graciously opened "their" fort to us, and
              while it
              > gives people something to look at before the main tourist season
              starts, it
              > does mean staff involvement and $$ to open, staff, interpret, lock
              up and
              > clean up a fort after we have left. (I know you know all of this!)
              >

              > So by encouraging all, many, most, a good portion of units to
              attend it
              > means that the $$ that Parks Canada spends on opening that day
              isn't spent
              > on 10 guys with 3 muskets! It is by no means mandatory, but as it
              is noted,
              > strongly encouraged! Life gets in the way and that is noted and
              respected,
              > so if some of the Lights can't make it, it is our loss that we
              can't hang
              > out together.
              >

              > Please note this isn't an official communication from anyone with
              any power
              > to make decisions and the Crown Forces Staff are not responsible
              for the
              > content of this email, blah blah blah, but merely my opinions!
              >

              > KW/89
              >

              > _____
              >
              > From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com]
              On Behalf
              > Of Chris McKay
              >

              > Hi Peter,
              > You are correct about the Saturday (April 25). However, I was
              asking
              > about the Sunday which is listed as an 'All units drill day' and
              > says "All Ranks Crown Forces and U.S. Units encouraged to attend."
              > This is the same thing it says for the GT and this event is also
              listed
              > under the 2009 Crown Forces Events.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Chris McKay

            • Dave Westhouse
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 4, 2009
                And all those concerns were considered when this weekend was
                developed. Unfortunately other weekends were just not available at the
                fort. It was the desire of many to move it away from Longwoods but it
                just didn't work out.

                If you can't make it, you can't make it. It is not mandatory for the
                'guys' to come out to it but it gives the opportunity to, as you guys
                put it 'shake off the stupids'. Lots of units have drill days, this is
                an opportunity to have them all together.

                Yes, Fort George is a bit further than say another location but it was
                the atmosphere we were looking for, and the hospitality. ie. Dave, the
                fort staff and Parks Canada.

                It is a bit of a drive but you know what? You are in re-enacting and
                it takes a drive to get anywhere and sometimes you just gotta do what
                ya gotta do.

                If future years maybe it can be moved, in 2009 it couldn't. It was
                noted but could not be moved.

                If you can make it, we'd love to have you. The 41st will make it worth
                your while if you drive out Saturday evening and stay at the fort.
                (you can hang out for longer and have a wee nip at their fund raising
                canteen).

                Again, not an official report and so forth and so on, blah.. blah.. blah.

                The NCO school is not that old but it did start off further away from
                Longwoods and slowly crept toward it to the point that it was the
                previous weekend the last two years. Now with advance notice maybe it
                can be pushed back again. We did try for this year.

                Dave.

                2005
                April 9-10 . . . Crown Forces School, Fort York - Toronto, ON
                May 7-8 . . . Battle of Longwoods - London ON

                2006
                Apr 22-23 . . . Crown Forces School - Fort York, Toronto, ON
                May 6-7 . . . Longwoods - London, ON

                2007
                Sat Apr 28 . . Infantry Officer & NCO School of Instruction
                May 5-6 . . . Longwoods - London, ON

                2008
                April 26 . . . Officer/NCO School, Fort York - Toronto, ON
                May 3-4 . . . Battle of Longwoods - London, ON

                Re: April 26th Drill day