New England events ...?

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2009
      Jon

      A visit to http://royal.scots.tripod.com/warof1812eventslist
      Should answer your question

      Yrs.,

      Larry Lozon (L2)
      Upper Canada (Ontario)

      United States Forces 1812
      http://usforces1812.tripod.com

      Crown Forces North America 1812
      http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

      WAR Of 1812 Events

      Sutlers & Merchants
      http://1812crownforces.tripod.com/sutlersmerchants

      1812/2009 Grand Tactical Webpages
      http://www.cryslersfarm.com
      http://1812grandtactical.tripod.com
      Annual War of 1812 Grand Tactical
      July 11-12, 2009 Crysler's Farm
      Morrisburg, Ontario, Canada
      Do not worry about the number of calories you eat between Christmas
      and New
      Years, worry about the number of calories you eat between New Years
      and Christmas.

      --- "John" wrote:

      " ... I am wondering if there are to be any 1812 related events this
      year (winter/spring/summer/fall) in New England this year ..."
    • Chris McKay
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2009
        Regarding the events list at
        http://royal.scots.tripod.com/warof1812eventslist - is the drill day at
        Fort George in April a Crown Forces all-up event? I thought it was
        still unconfirmed (that was the last I heard) and I don't know how many
        of our guys even know about it because of that.

        Thanks,

        Chris McKay
      • peter monahan
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2009
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Chris McKay" <PrivateCannon@...>
          wrote:
          Is the drill day at Fort George in April a Crown Forces all-up event?
          I thought it was still unconfirmed (that was the last I heard) and I
          don't know how many of our guys even know about it because of that.

          Chris

          The April event at Ft George is the annual NCO School, and identified
          as such on the Scots event list. In other words, sergeants and
          corporals welcome, enlisted swine get to sleep in that day! :7)

          Peter Monahan
        • Chris McKay
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 3, 2009
            Hi Peter,
            You are correct about the Saturday (April 25). However, I was asking
            about the Sunday which is listed as an 'All units drill day' and
            says "All Ranks Crown Forces and U.S. Units encouraged to attend."
            This is the same thing it says for the GT and this event is also listed
            under the 2009 Crown Forces Events.

            Thanks,

            Chris McKay

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "peter monahan" <petemonahan@...>
            wrote:

            > The April event at Ft George is the annual NCO School, and identified
            > as such on the Scots event list. In other words, sergeants and
            > corporals welcome, enlisted swine get to sleep in that day! :7)
            >
            > Peter Monahan

          • Kevin Windsor
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 3, 2009
              Hi Chris, the drill day at the fort is not an "all up" thing that we have
              discussed and voted on as a committee of units. It is, however, being
              strongly encouraged for a few reasons.

              It lets us shake off the stupids before the bulk of the season starts. (as
              a Brigade)

              It lets us immediately start teaching the new stuff from the Officer/NCO
              school

              Also Bob and Dave have graciously opened "their" fort to us, and while it
              gives people something to look at before the main tourist season starts, it
              does mean staff involvement and $$ to open, staff, interpret, lock up and
              clean up a fort after we have left. (I know you know all of this!)

              So by encouraging all, many, most, a good portion of units to attend it
              means that the $$ that Parks Canada spends on opening that day isn't spent
              on 10 guys with 3 muskets! It is by no means mandatory, but as it is noted,
              strongly encouraged! Life gets in the way and that is noted and respected,
              so if some of the Lights can't make it, it is our loss that we can't hang
              out together.

              Please note this isn't an official communication from anyone with any power
              to make decisions and the Crown Forces Staff are not responsible for the
              content of this email, blah blah blah, but merely my opinions!

              KW/89

              _____

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 3, 2009
                Hi Kevin,
                Thanks for that note. It all makes sense now. However, in a few
                brief discussions with some of our guys, we've noted the following
                concerns with this drill day:

                1 - it's the weekend before Longwoods. As you know, this is our
                event, and a lot of our guys have roles to play in it. This becomes
                a time cruch, therefore. In the past, on the Sunday before the
                event, we've usually held a drill session at the site, so that we
                could "shake off the stupids" but also so we could walk the site,
                address last minutes concerns, make plans, and the like.

                2 - it's a one day event. From London, Fort George is about a 2.5
                hour drive, and of course it's longer from Kent County. Most of our
                guys don't mind driving, but it's had to justify driving five hours
                for a couple of hours worth of drill.

                I realize that other things get in the way of planning (such as other
                time periods), but I think that the timing of this event is going to
                make it impossible for most of our guys to make it. (In fact, I
                would love to see the NCO school moved much earlier in the year.)
                Nevertheless, I hope other groups, perhaps ones that are closer to
                the Fort, are able to make the day worthwhile.

                Chris

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Windsor"
                <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

                > Hi Chris, the drill day at the fort is not an "all up" thing that
                we have
                > discussed and voted on as a committee of units. It is, however,
                being
                > strongly encouraged for a few reasons.
                >

                > It lets us shake off the stupids before the bulk of the season
                starts. (as
                > a Brigade)
                >
                > It lets us immediately start teaching the new stuff from the
                Officer/NCO
                > school
                >

                > Also Bob and Dave have graciously opened "their" fort to us, and
                while it
                > gives people something to look at before the main tourist season
                starts, it
                > does mean staff involvement and $$ to open, staff, interpret, lock
                up and
                > clean up a fort after we have left. (I know you know all of this!)
                >

                > So by encouraging all, many, most, a good portion of units to
                attend it
                > means that the $$ that Parks Canada spends on opening that day
                isn't spent
                > on 10 guys with 3 muskets! It is by no means mandatory, but as it
                is noted,
                > strongly encouraged! Life gets in the way and that is noted and
                respected,
                > so if some of the Lights can't make it, it is our loss that we
                can't hang
                > out together.
                >

                > Please note this isn't an official communication from anyone with
                any power
                > to make decisions and the Crown Forces Staff are not responsible
                for the
                > content of this email, blah blah blah, but merely my opinions!
                >

                > KW/89
                >

                > _____
                >
                > From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com]
                On Behalf
                > Of Chris McKay
                >

                > Hi Peter,
                > You are correct about the Saturday (April 25). However, I was
                asking
                > about the Sunday which is listed as an 'All units drill day' and
                > says "All Ranks Crown Forces and U.S. Units encouraged to attend."
                > This is the same thing it says for the GT and this event is also
                listed
                > under the 2009 Crown Forces Events.
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Chris McKay

              • Dave Westhouse
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 4, 2009
                  And all those concerns were considered when this weekend was
                  developed. Unfortunately other weekends were just not available at the
                  fort. It was the desire of many to move it away from Longwoods but it
                  just didn't work out.

                  If you can't make it, you can't make it. It is not mandatory for the
                  'guys' to come out to it but it gives the opportunity to, as you guys
                  put it 'shake off the stupids'. Lots of units have drill days, this is
                  an opportunity to have them all together.

                  Yes, Fort George is a bit further than say another location but it was
                  the atmosphere we were looking for, and the hospitality. ie. Dave, the
                  fort staff and Parks Canada.

                  It is a bit of a drive but you know what? You are in re-enacting and
                  it takes a drive to get anywhere and sometimes you just gotta do what
                  ya gotta do.

                  If future years maybe it can be moved, in 2009 it couldn't. It was
                  noted but could not be moved.

                  If you can make it, we'd love to have you. The 41st will make it worth
                  your while if you drive out Saturday evening and stay at the fort.
                  (you can hang out for longer and have a wee nip at their fund raising
                  canteen).

                  Again, not an official report and so forth and so on, blah.. blah.. blah.

                  The NCO school is not that old but it did start off further away from
                  Longwoods and slowly crept toward it to the point that it was the
                  previous weekend the last two years. Now with advance notice maybe it
                  can be pushed back again. We did try for this year.

                  Dave.

                  2005
                  April 9-10 . . . Crown Forces School, Fort York - Toronto, ON
                  May 7-8 . . . Battle of Longwoods - London ON

                  2006
                  Apr 22-23 . . . Crown Forces School - Fort York, Toronto, ON
                  May 6-7 . . . Longwoods - London, ON

                  2007
                  Sat Apr 28 . . Infantry Officer & NCO School of Instruction
                  May 5-6 . . . Longwoods - London, ON

                  2008
                  April 26 . . . Officer/NCO School, Fort York - Toronto, ON
                  May 3-4 . . . Battle of Longwoods - London, ON

                  Re: April 26th Drill day