New England events...?

  • John
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2009
      Hi,

      John from Northampton,MA here...I am wondering if there are to be any
      1812 related events this year (winter/spring/summer/fall) in New
      England this year..I primarily portray a Native and looking to get
      more involved with the time period Thanks
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2009
        Jon

        A visit to http://royal.scots.tripod.com/warof1812eventslist
        Should answer your question

        Yrs.,

        Larry Lozon (L2)
        Upper Canada (Ontario)

        United States Forces 1812
        http://usforces1812.tripod.com

        Crown Forces North America 1812
        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

        WAR Of 1812 Events

        Sutlers & Merchants
        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com/sutlersmerchants

        1812/2009 Grand Tactical Webpages
        http://www.cryslersfarm.com
        http://1812grandtactical.tripod.com
        Annual War of 1812 Grand Tactical
        July 11-12, 2009 Crysler's Farm
        Morrisburg, Ontario, Canada
        Do not worry about the number of calories you eat between Christmas
        and New
        Years, worry about the number of calories you eat between New Years
        and Christmas.

        --- "John" wrote:

        " ... I am wondering if there are to be any 1812 related events this
        year (winter/spring/summer/fall) in New England this year ..."
      • Chris McKay
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2009
          Regarding the events list at
          http://royal.scots.tripod.com/warof1812eventslist - is the drill day at
          Fort George in April a Crown Forces all-up event? I thought it was
          still unconfirmed (that was the last I heard) and I don't know how many
          of our guys even know about it because of that.

          Thanks,

          Chris McKay
        • peter monahan
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 3, 2009
            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Chris McKay" <PrivateCannon@...>
            wrote:
            Is the drill day at Fort George in April a Crown Forces all-up event?
            I thought it was still unconfirmed (that was the last I heard) and I
            don't know how many of our guys even know about it because of that.

            Chris

            The April event at Ft George is the annual NCO School, and identified
            as such on the Scots event list. In other words, sergeants and
            corporals welcome, enlisted swine get to sleep in that day! :7)

            Peter Monahan
          • Chris McKay
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 3, 2009
              Hi Peter,
              You are correct about the Saturday (April 25). However, I was asking
              about the Sunday which is listed as an 'All units drill day' and
              says "All Ranks Crown Forces and U.S. Units encouraged to attend."
              This is the same thing it says for the GT and this event is also listed
              under the 2009 Crown Forces Events.

              Thanks,

              Chris McKay

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "peter monahan" <petemonahan@...>
              wrote:

              > The April event at Ft George is the annual NCO School, and identified
              > as such on the Scots event list. In other words, sergeants and
              > corporals welcome, enlisted swine get to sleep in that day! :7)
              >
              > Peter Monahan

            • Kevin Windsor
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 3, 2009
                Hi Chris, the drill day at the fort is not an "all up" thing that we have
                discussed and voted on as a committee of units. It is, however, being
                strongly encouraged for a few reasons.

                It lets us shake off the stupids before the bulk of the season starts. (as
                a Brigade)

                It lets us immediately start teaching the new stuff from the Officer/NCO
                school

                Also Bob and Dave have graciously opened "their" fort to us, and while it
                gives people something to look at before the main tourist season starts, it
                does mean staff involvement and $$ to open, staff, interpret, lock up and
                clean up a fort after we have left. (I know you know all of this!)

                So by encouraging all, many, most, a good portion of units to attend it
                means that the $$ that Parks Canada spends on opening that day isn't spent
                on 10 guys with 3 muskets! It is by no means mandatory, but as it is noted,
                strongly encouraged! Life gets in the way and that is noted and respected,
                so if some of the Lights can't make it, it is our loss that we can't hang
                out together.

                Please note this isn't an official communication from anyone with any power
                to make decisions and the Crown Forces Staff are not responsible for the
                content of this email, blah blah blah, but merely my opinions!

                KW/89

                _____

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 3, 2009
                  Hi Kevin,
                  Thanks for that note. It all makes sense now. However, in a few
                  brief discussions with some of our guys, we've noted the following
                  concerns with this drill day:

                  1 - it's the weekend before Longwoods. As you know, this is our
                  event, and a lot of our guys have roles to play in it. This becomes
                  a time cruch, therefore. In the past, on the Sunday before the
                  event, we've usually held a drill session at the site, so that we
                  could "shake off the stupids" but also so we could walk the site,
                  address last minutes concerns, make plans, and the like.

                  2 - it's a one day event. From London, Fort George is about a 2.5
                  hour drive, and of course it's longer from Kent County. Most of our
                  guys don't mind driving, but it's had to justify driving five hours
                  for a couple of hours worth of drill.

                  I realize that other things get in the way of planning (such as other
                  time periods), but I think that the timing of this event is going to
                  make it impossible for most of our guys to make it. (In fact, I
                  would love to see the NCO school moved much earlier in the year.)
                  Nevertheless, I hope other groups, perhaps ones that are closer to
                  the Fort, are able to make the day worthwhile.

                  Chris

                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Windsor"
                  <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Chris, the drill day at the fort is not an "all up" thing that
                  we have
                  > discussed and voted on as a committee of units. It is, however,
                  being
                  > strongly encouraged for a few reasons.
                  >

                  > It lets us shake off the stupids before the bulk of the season
                  starts. (as
                  > a Brigade)
                  >
                  > It lets us immediately start teaching the new stuff from the
                  Officer/NCO
                  > school
                  >

                  > Also Bob and Dave have graciously opened "their" fort to us, and
                  while it
                  > gives people something to look at before the main tourist season
                  starts, it
                  > does mean staff involvement and $$ to open, staff, interpret, lock
                  up and
                  > clean up a fort after we have left. (I know you know all of this!)
                  >

                  > So by encouraging all, many, most, a good portion of units to
                  attend it
                  > means that the $$ that Parks Canada spends on opening that day
                  isn't spent
                  > on 10 guys with 3 muskets! It is by no means mandatory, but as it
                  is noted,
                  > strongly encouraged! Life gets in the way and that is noted and
                  respected,
                  > so if some of the Lights can't make it, it is our loss that we
                  can't hang
                  > out together.
                  >

                  > Please note this isn't an official communication from anyone with
                  any power
                  > to make decisions and the Crown Forces Staff are not responsible
                  for the
                  > content of this email, blah blah blah, but merely my opinions!
                  >

                  > KW/89
                  >

                  > _____
                  >
                  > From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com]
                  On Behalf
                  > Of Chris McKay
                  >

                  > Hi Peter,
                  > You are correct about the Saturday (April 25). However, I was
                  asking
                  > about the Sunday which is listed as an 'All units drill day' and
                  > says "All Ranks Crown Forces and U.S. Units encouraged to attend."
                  > This is the same thing it says for the GT and this event is also
                  listed
                  > under the 2009 Crown Forces Events.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Chris McKay

                • Dave Westhouse
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 4, 2009
                    And all those concerns were considered when this weekend was
                    developed. Unfortunately other weekends were just not available at the
                    fort. It was the desire of many to move it away from Longwoods but it
                    just didn't work out.

                    If you can't make it, you can't make it. It is not mandatory for the
                    'guys' to come out to it but it gives the opportunity to, as you guys
                    put it 'shake off the stupids'. Lots of units have drill days, this is
                    an opportunity to have them all together.

                    Yes, Fort George is a bit further than say another location but it was
                    the atmosphere we were looking for, and the hospitality. ie. Dave, the
                    fort staff and Parks Canada.

                    It is a bit of a drive but you know what? You are in re-enacting and
                    it takes a drive to get anywhere and sometimes you just gotta do what
                    ya gotta do.

                    If future years maybe it can be moved, in 2009 it couldn't. It was
                    noted but could not be moved.

                    If you can make it, we'd love to have you. The 41st will make it worth
                    your while if you drive out Saturday evening and stay at the fort.
                    (you can hang out for longer and have a wee nip at their fund raising
                    canteen).

                    Again, not an official report and so forth and so on, blah.. blah.. blah.

                    The NCO school is not that old but it did start off further away from
                    Longwoods and slowly crept toward it to the point that it was the
                    previous weekend the last two years. Now with advance notice maybe it
                    can be pushed back again. We did try for this year.

                    Dave.

                    2005
                    April 9-10 . . . Crown Forces School, Fort York - Toronto, ON
                    May 7-8 . . . Battle of Longwoods - London ON

                    2006
                    Apr 22-23 . . . Crown Forces School - Fort York, Toronto, ON
                    May 6-7 . . . Longwoods - London, ON

                    2007
                    Sat Apr 28 . . Infantry Officer & NCO School of Instruction
                    May 5-6 . . . Longwoods - London, ON

                    2008
                    April 26 . . . Officer/NCO School, Fort York - Toronto, ON
                    May 3-4 . . . Battle of Longwoods - London, ON

                    Re: April 26th Drill day