1812 OFF-TOPIC: "African-Canadian"

  • spikeyj
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009
      I just came back from a trip to Canada, and I saw the term
      "African-Canadian" for the first time in my life last week,
      on a billboard in Toronto as part of some sort of racial
      tolerance campaign. I have to tell you, I was unimpressed
      -- not by the idea of racial tolerance, but by Canadians
      (or some Canadian government agency) finally adopting a
      poorly-thought-out USAn term that had been successfully
      resisted in Canada for so long.

      Spike Y Jones
      http://www.nni.com/
    • Sue
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
        Spike,
        Most of us Canadians are as unimpressed as you are with our
        government's "play to the media" type of uninspired politically
        correctness.
        Just have to figure out how/why these idjits get there in the first
        place. :-(
        Sue

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "spikeyj" <spikeyj@...> wrote:

        > I just came back from a trip to Canada, and I saw the term
        > "African-Canadian" for the first time in my life last week,
        > on a billboard in Toronto as part of some sort of racial
        > tolerance campaign. I have to tell you, I was unimpressed
        > -- not by the idea of racial tolerance, but by Canadians
        > (or some Canadian government agency) finally adopting a
        > poorly-thought-out USAn term that had been successfully
        > resisted in Canada for so long.
        >
        > Spike Y Jones
        > Web mail provided by NuNet, Inc. The Premier National provider.
        > http://www.nni.com/

      • Sue
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
          Spike,
          Most of us Canadians are as unimpressed as you are with our
          government's "play to the media" type of uninspired politically
          correctness.
          Just have to figure out how/why these idjits get there in the first
          place. :-(
          Sue

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "spikeyj" <spikeyj@...> wrote:

          > I just came back from a trip to Canada, and I saw the term
          > "African-Canadian" for the first time in my life last week,
          > on a billboard in Toronto as part of some sort of racial
          > tolerance campaign. I have to tell you, I was unimpressed
          > -- not by the idea of racial tolerance, but by Canadians
          > (or some Canadian government agency) finally adopting a
          > poorly-thought-out USAn term that had been successfully
          > resisted in Canada for so long.
          >
          > Spike Y Jones
          > Web mail provided by NuNet, Inc. The Premier National provider.
          > http://www.nni.com/

        • Tom Hurlbut
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
            How "these idjits get there in the first place".. good question..

            I note that the most recent election (Canada) returned a fellow who received the most votes simply because he was the least disliked of the leaders but he felt that gave him the right to govern as if he was the favourite.. "idjits" all.

            Cheers!

            "Major" Tom

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
              Sue wrote:

              > Most of us Canadians are as unimpressed as you are with our
              > government's "play to the media" type of uninspired politically
              > correctness.
              > Just have to figure out how/why these idjits get there in the first
              > place. :-(

              We vote for them!

              Just in the last week I first say the term "Euro-Canadian."

              I didn't vote for that either.

              John Matthew IV