Oliver Hazard Perry ex Detroit

  • dguts1813
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 15, 2008
      Not to beat a dead horse, but the ship currently fitting out as sail
      training vessel in Rhode Island is not the "USS" Oliver Hazard Perry.
      The USS designation is applicable only to commissioned ships of the
      US Navy.

      Ed Bolla
      Ships Coy. Brig Niagara
    • Tom Hurlbut
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 15, 2008
        Hi Ed!

        The "dead horse".. well, I'm assuming that the vessel is meant to represent a small American national frigate or corvette of the era (1812) and that it will be given a suitable historic name, including the "USS" prefix. The legalities may preclude that but it's certainly never stopped folks from naming their vessels USS This or HMS That.. I mean, don't we refer to the Niagara as US Brig Niagara?

        What are the legalities?

        Cheers!

        Pseudo-"Lieutenant" Tom (pseudo Royal Navy)

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 16, 2008
          While the Niagara is usually referred to as the US Brig Niagara, that
          is far different from the designation USS. As an example I would site
          the USS Constitution in Boston, which is a commissioned US Naval
          vessel, and the US Frigate Constellation in Baltimore, which is not.
          Also, the Niagara is officialy desiganated as STV (that is Sail
          Training vessel.

          As to the final configuration of the Oliver Hazard Perry, I wouldn't
          bet on the Rhode Island yachting community completing her as a small
          frigate or sloop-of-war. However she is eventually fitted out, she
          won't carry the designation USS.

          Ed B.
        • Tom Hurlbut
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 16, 2008
            Fair enough, but since the OHP was supposed to be "HMS" Detroit and therefore a ship-rigged sloop-of-war or corvette, then I could see the finished product as "US Corvette Oliver Hazard Perry".. But maybe not as there was no such vessel at the time.

            BTW, if the OHP had been completed as originally conceived, I'm certain that the RN would have been approached about legally using "HMS" as HM Schooners Bee and Tecumseth do. Ah well..

            "What's in a name..?"

            Yours, Aye!

            "Lt." Tom