Re: 1812 Introduction

  • John Ogden
    Message 1 of 174 , Dec 2, 2008
      Larry et alia,
      The humor was aimed at the general stereotype of the ugly American who
      expects the rest of the world to understand English if only he shouts it
      loudly enough. Actually, I know several Americans who are reasonably
      conversant in at least one other language (typically at least Spanish, but
      let's not start that discussion right now), and the few Canadians that I
      know well can all speak at least two languages (English, French, frequently
      also Spanish). I managed to shop at a convenience store gas station about a
      mile or so from Ft. Erie while visiting this past August, and the owner
      spoke only French. I have also lived in eastern Europe for a couple of
      years teaching English-as-a-second-language, which incidentally is where I
      met most of the Canadians I know personally (the American, British, Canadian
      and Aussie ex-pats tended to drink together if only for the sake of mutual
      defense in a city where foreigners were prime targets for mugging or
      drunk-rolling). They (the Canadians) were usually doing the same job I was.

      --
      John J. Ogden

      Madison, June 20, 1785

      "As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense,
      founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of
      enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Musselmen; and, as the
      said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any
      Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising
      from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony
      existing between the two countries." -- Article 11 of the Treaty of Peace
      and Friendship between the United States and the Bey and Subjects of Tripoli
      of Barbary, 3 Junad 1211 (Muslim calendar), 4 November 1796 C.E..

    • Jim & JoAnn Gallen
      Message 174 of 174 , Dec 19, 2013
        Jim,

        Welcome to the group?  We will look forward to your posts.

        Jim Gallen