Re: Minature portrait

  • André Gousse
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2008
      Bonjour!

      I sent a copy of the photo you posted to René Chartrand, a good
      friend of mine who loves to unravel uniform mysteries. Here are his
      comments:

      "Not easy, but it is not British, Canadian or American. It seems to
      date from the the 1820-1830s. The lace on the sleeve reminds me of
      some Portuguese uniform details; and then there are these gold
      epaulets although the buttons are silver.

      In short, the portrait seems authentic to me but we will need to dig
      deeper to have an idea of its identity. Is there a story or a context
      for this object?"

      So if you have any more details to provide as to the provenance of
      the portrait, I will relay this information to René and ask him for
      more of his thoughts.

      Votre humble et dévoué serviteur,

      André Gousse
    • Ted and Dianna
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2008
        Andre how very good of you to wright me! I too thought of Rene Charand but I didn't want to bother him! He's real cool you know !~ It's not a fake, I've collected and reenacted for 35 years. No story. We bought it in a antique mall in Missouri for $5.60 ! Thanks ! pvt. Ted Mueller 1st reg. US

      • André Gousse
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 5, 2008
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Ted and Dianna" <tdm02@...> wrote:

          > Andre how very good of you to wright me! I too thought of Rene
          Charand but I didn't want to bother him! He's real cool you know !~
          It's not a fake, I've collected and reenacted for 35 years. No story.
          We bought it in a antique mall in Missouri for $5.60 ! Thanks !
          pvt. Ted Mueller 1st reg. US

          Thanks for the supplementary info which I have passed on to René. We
          will see what he has to say but I am afraid it might remain a mystery.

          André Gousse
          Milice sédentaire du Bas-Canada