Re: Jan/Feb shows?

  • Susan Spencer
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 28, 2008
      Two that I know of:

      ReenactorFest in Chicago, IL, Feb. 6-8: http://www.reenactorfest.com/
      Living History Conference, Hamilton, ON, Feb, 28th: website coming
      shortly . . . contact jac13clark@... for details, merchants contact
      me off-list.

      Cheers,
      -- Sioux

    • Susan Spencer
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 28, 2008
        Oops -- make that jac13clark(at)yahoo.ca for information on the Living
        History Conference 2009.

        Sorry 'bout that . . .

        -- Sioux
      • Sue
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 29, 2008
          Sioux, thanks for the heads up on the LHC in Hamilton!

          Any way that the organizers can get the word out earlier? At least the
          date? Those of us way out in the boonies need extra time to make
          arrangements.

          Thanks!
          Sue Too

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Spencer" <susan@...> wrote:

          > Two that I know of:
          >
          > ReenactorFest in Chicago, IL, Feb. 6-8: http://www.reenactorfest.com/
          > Living History Conference, Hamilton, ON, Feb, 28th: website coming
          > shortly . . . contact jac13clark@... for details, merchants contact
          > me off-list.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > -- Sioux

        • Spencer's Mercantile
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 29, 2008
            Hi, Sue --

            Actually, the date was set two years ago, before the conference in
            Toronto, and flyers have been running around sporadically since then --
            clearly we missed you, though! I haven't been to an event in Eastern
            Ontario in ages, myself . . . oh dear! Guess that tells me something. :-)

            Hopefully three months' notice will be sufficient this time.

            Cheers,
            -- Sioux

            Sue wrote:

            > Sioux, thanks for the heads up on the LHC in Hamilton!
            >
            > Any way that the organizers can get the word out earlier? At least the
            > date? Those of us way out in the boonies need extra time to make
            > arrangements.
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Sue Too
            >
            > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > "Susan Spencer" <susan@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Two that I know of:
            > >
            > > ReenactorFest in Chicago, IL, Feb. 6-8:
            > http://www.reenactorfest.com/ <http://www.reenactorfest.com/>
            > > Living History Conference, Hamilton, ON, Feb, 28th: website coming
            > > shortly . . . contact jac13clark@... for details, merchants contact
            > > me off-list.
            > >
            > > Cheers,
            > > -- Sioux

          • whittakermp
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 30, 2008
              Esteemed Group;

              I am working on content for a bicentennial regional Web page.

              Many of the 1000 Islands were named by Captain Willaim Owen during
              his winter 1816 survey. An island in the Brock Group, all named after
              British officers, is called Everest. However, the officer seems to
              have been forgotten.

              A stretch candidate is George Everest, after whom Mount Everest is
              named. He was a hotshot given an early commission before he finished
              at Woolwich, but was with the Bengal Artillery as of 1806 and his
              engineering and surveying career was in India. Nonetheless, Captain
              Owen's expertise in naval surveying came during his service in the
              Indian Ocean. Beginning in 1806, he completed a number of projections
              of ships' tracks and manuscript charts. Owen was more than 20 yeasrs
              Everest's senior.

              Can anyone connect the link or offer a more plausible candidate?

              Other groups in the 1000 Islands were named by Owen after vessels,
              navy officers and other figure prominent in Anglo-Canadian history to
              the time.

              With appreciation,

              Michael Whittaker
              St. Lawrence War of 1812 Bicentennial Alliance
            • Sue
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 30, 2008
                Sioux,

                And us not having been able to get over to the west/central hasn't
                helped! :-)
                Next season! Now that I'm bionic (well, the hip anyway LOL)it might
                just be possible.

                Sue Too

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Spencer's Mercantile" <susan@...>
                wrote:

                > Hi, Sue --
                >
                > Actually, the date was set two years ago, before the conference in
                > Toronto, and flyers have been running around sporadically since then --
                > clearly we missed you, though! I haven't been to an event in Eastern
                > Ontario in ages, myself . . . oh dear! Guess that tells me
                something. :-)

                > Hopefully three months' notice will be sufficient this time.
                >
                > Cheers,
                > -- Sioux
                >
                > Sue wrote:
                >
                > > Sioux, thanks for the heads up on the LHC in Hamilton!
                > >
                > > Any way that the organizers can get the word out earlier? At least the
                > > date? Those of us way out in the boonies need extra time to make
                > > arrangements.
                > >
                > > Thanks!
                > > Sue Too
                > >
                > > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
                <mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com>,
                > > "Susan Spencer" <susan@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Two that I know of:
                > > >
                > > > ReenactorFest in Chicago, IL, Feb. 6-8:
                > > http://www.reenactorfest.com/ <http://www.reenactorfest.com/>
                > > > Living History Conference, Hamilton, ON, Feb, 28th: website coming
                > > > shortly . . . contact jac13clark@ for details, merchants contact
                > > > me off-list.
                > > >
                > > > Cheers,
                > > > -- Sioux

              • ronpontiac
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 2, 2008
                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "whittakermp" <whittakermp@...> wrote:

                  > Esteemed Group;
                  >
                  > I am working on content for a bicentennial regional Web page.
                  >
                  > Many of the 1000 Islands were named by Captain Willaim Owen during
                  > his winter 1816 survey. An island in the Brock Group, all named after
                  > British officers, is called Everest.

                  Hello Michael,

                  The likely candidate was Lt. Henry Bennett Everest (Brevet Captain) of
                  the 6th Foot who was appointed as a Deputy Assistant Adjutant General
                  in the Adjutant-General's Depatment in the Canadas in October 1814.

                  Ron
                • whittakermp
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 2, 2008
                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "ronpontiac" <ronaldjdale@...> wrote:

                    The likely candidate was Lt. Henry Bennett Everest (Brevet Captain) of
                    the 6th Foot who was appointed as a Deputy Assistant Adjutant General
                    in the Adjutant-General's Depatment in the Canadas in October 1814.

                    Ron

                    Many thanks. A far more likely Everest. This group is a bountiful
                    fount of information.

                    Cheers,
                    Michael