Tecumseh

  • David_Webb@pch.gc.ca
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 19, 2000
      Hello List,
      I just received a phone call from the Fort Erie Public Library looking for a
      Toronto area actor who portrays Tecumseh. Please let me know if any of you know
      who this might be. Thanks.--DW
    • Craig Williams
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 19, 2000
        Dave, I don't know if he's a Toronto area actor but I do know that
        Battlefield House has used his services frequently in the past. Try calling
        Sue.

        Hugs, Craig
      • Ibbotson, Mark [LSS]
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 6, 2000
          I came across some reference to the old iron clad tecumseh and was quite confused. later i heared there was a USS Churchill although i cannot confirm this.

          anything is possible it seems.

          Ibbo
        • Col Sjt Jones
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 7, 2000
            HMS TECUMSETH was an armed topsail schooner built in 1815. Her
            armament was 2-24 pdr guns on pivotting slides and 2-32 pdr
            carronades in broadside.

            Too late for the war, she did see action against smugglers and fired
            her guns in anger at the merchantment JULIA off Detroit.

            A beautiful replica sails out of Discovery Harbour (Naval and
            Military Establishments) Penetanguishene.

            Doug

            --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, "Ibbotson, Mark [LSS]"
            <m.ibbotson@l...> wrote:
            > I came across some reference to the old iron clad tecumseh and was
            quite confused. later i heared there was a USS Churchill although i
            cannot confirm this.

            > anything is possible it seems.
            >
            > Ibbo
          • MAXINE TROTTIER
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 7, 2000
              Yes, Rob, Tecumseth was in Toronto harbour on the July 1 weekend. She
              is the vessel on which I sailed this summer.Spending two weeks before
              the mast was very enlightening. We sailed from Penetang to South haven
              Michigan and then across Lake Michigan to Chicago for tall ships
              events. In both places Tecumseth was judged to be the best boat. That
              was because the crew is in period dress and quite the programme is put
              on for the public.
              Max

              Maxine Trottier
              maxitrot@...
              http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm
            • Rob Taylor
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 7, 2000
                --- Col Sjt Jones <chimera1@...> wrote:
                A beautiful replica sails out of Discovery Harbour
                (Naval and Military Establishments) Penetanguishene.

                I think I saw it this past Canada Day weekend at Fort
                York re-enactment, is that the one you mean?

                Rob Taylor

                http://photos.yahoo.com/
              • MAXINE TROTTIER
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 7, 2000
                  Many changes are planned for Tecumseth. The two caronades have been
                  discussed. When I was on board we were using just a swivel gun and
                  muskets. All sorts of things will eventually happen below as well. It
                  will be a slow process; all the work and sailing is done by
                  volunteers.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 7, 2000
                    Rob - Maxine has replied most eloquently.

                    I would love to see TECUMSETH fitted with her original armament. I
                    understand plans are afoot to do so. Perhaps someone close to her
                    organization could comment.

                    I have been fascinated by the small but heavily armed gun
                    ships/schooners. HAMILTON and SCOURGE are examples.

                    Doug

                    --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, Rob Taylor <niagara_falls_98@y...>

                  • jvirruso@hotmail.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 9, 2000
                      > I came across some reference to the old iron clad tecumseh and was
                      quite confused. later i heared there was a USS Churchill although i
                      cannot confirm this.

                      > anything is possible it seems.
                      There was a USS Tecumseh during the Civil War. It was a monitor class
                      vessel and operated in blockade duty. During the Battle of Mobile
                      Bay, she struck a underwater torpedo "mine" and sunk to the bottom of
                      the bay with the loss of her entire crew. The is a buoy marker
                      marking the site of the ship off of Dauphine Island Alabama.

                      I'll check on the USS Churchill.
                    • wolf_bna
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 4, 2006
                        I have been given the honor of posting the following message
                        regarding the subject of Tucumseh etc. by a Shawnee elder.

                        Message 11 of 18 , May 1 7:24 AM
                          Does anyone know if there are any contemporary portraits of Tecumseh? I found one dated much after his death, and one with no date.

                          Thanks!

                          Ann Wass

                        • Ron
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 1 9:28 AM
                            None of Tecumseh but there are two of his brother Tenskwatawa painted from life.

                          • annbwass@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 1 9:44 AM
                              there are two of his brother Tenskwatawa painted from life.
                              Thank you!

                              Ann Wass

                              Message 14 of 18 , May 1 9:54 AM
                                See message 44743 and the chain of messages it initiated. This thread started on December 24 2011 when it was noted that Canada Post was issuing stamps to honour Brock and Tecumseh.

                                Several times in the past few months, I've also posted as the Group's website illustration, various attempts to portray Tecumseh that have been made by artists over the years. Some of those attempts were plainly way off base and quite laughable.

                                The bottom line: no verifiable contemporary illustration of Tecumseh has ever been found, to my knowledge. Which, when you think of it, is sort of surprising...

                                Jim Yaworsky
                                41st, Moderator
                              • Chris Pohlkamp
                                Message 15 of 18 , May 1 2:22 PM
                                  There simply are no fully authenticated portraits of Tecumseh. The portrait
                                  of Tecumseh most likely to be an accurate representation of him (based on
                                  circumstantial evidence) is a sketch drawn in 1808 by trader Pierre Le Dru,
                                  who met Tecumseh and drew it from memory. Some paintings, like Lossing
                                  famous color portrait (seen here: http://en.wikipedia
                                  org/wiki/File:Tecumseh02.jpg), are based on this sketch by Pierre Le Dru,
                                  who also did a reasonably accurate sketch of the Prophet, Tecumseh's brother

                                  Le Dru's sketch can be seen here: http://www.galafilm
                                  com/1812/e/catalogues/sket283.html

                                  Dale Adamson
                                  On-Gwe-Ho-Way

                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 1 3:07 PM
                                    Jim

                                    I don't have the source in front of me right now, but I believe the portrait used by Canada Post of Tecumseth is based on the sole contemporary illustration, which was done in black and white by a French fur trader, sometime around 1795-1800 if memeoty serves. It is the siource for the commonest illustration one sees of the chief, the coloured version of which was painted in the 1860s I think, and 'modified' versions of which abound, often with the addition of british military clothing, medals, a new head dress and so on.

                                    I'll try and post the correct one in the photo section.
                                  • annbwass@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 18 , May 2 2:14 AM
                                      Thanks to all who provided information. I have found it very difficult to find contemporary images of any native Americans, especially in the U.S. (I've seen some from Canada) before 1820.

                                      Ann Wass
                                    • Paul and Charlene
                                      Message 18 of 18 , May 3 6:29 AM
                                        Good Evening Folks - I am not a regular visitor to your group, but the request from Ann Wass was forwarded to me by Charlene Roberts. My name is Lisa Gilbert, and I am chair of Friends of the Tecumseh Monument. Some of you probably know that our group has been trying to get the site near where Tecumseh was killed at the Battle of the Thames (Moraviantown), known as the Tecumseh Monument site, redeveloped, in time for the bicentennial of his death on October 5, 2013. If you are interested in more information, visit our website at TecumsehMonument.ca. In answer to your question Ann, I want to corroborate what Jim Yaworsky said (also forwarded to me by Charlene), and just re-iterate that there is no fully authenticated contemporary illustration of Tecumseh, but, according to the research that I have done, the best one to use is the Benjamin Lossing engraving. He reportedly based his picture on a pencil sketch made about 1808 by a fur trader named Pierre Le Dru. Unfortunately, Lossing substituted a British officer's coat for Tecumseh's more probable deerskin shirt. The turban is probably accurate though, as it is known that Tecumseh favoured turbans. I also just want to add that the woman who was hired to draw the picture for the stamp was in contact with me earlier this year, and from my conversations with her, I think the picture will be as accurate as possible. I'm looking forward to seeing it. Thanks for your time.

                                        Sincerely,

                                        Lisa Gilbert,
                                        Friends of the Tecumseh Monument