Re: Welcome

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 17, 2000
      Welcome to the 1812 Onelist

      to John & Nancy Wayne,

      E-mail Address:
      dempsey@...

      Yep gang, John Wayne is in the house!

      "But that dirty little coward,
      that shot Mr. Howard,
      Has laid poor Jesse in his grave."

      billy garshade
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2003
        From: Bob Dorian <dancingbobd@...>

        " Mississinewa is the farthest east and north as I usually get ..."
        _____________

        Brother Robert,

        Please hitch a ride on the US 7th's wagons on their
        way to Fort Erie. You are always welcome to venture up to
        the 'Great White North'.

        Not really that far north (for Canucks) and Major Abolt agrees
        the hospitality is great.

        Larry Lozon
        AdC Crown Forces

        " always ready to share a glass with the foe "
      • JOHN GREIG
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 30, 2005
          New member of the list, Charlie McCulloh wrote:

          I'll sit down and lurk for awhile.

          Welcome Charlie, from the lurkers in the UK.

          A happy New Year and best wishes to all.

          Squire John

        • Kristian Burton
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 1, 2007
            Hi Ron,

            Thanks for the welcome. I have to be honest, I had to Google the Battle of
            Clontarf as this was new to me. However, I suppose it is fair to say that
            there isn't a region of these islands that hasn't been the scene of some
            pretty serious fighting at some time in its history.
            I am finding the history of conflicts on the frontiers of what was then the
            "New World" particularly interesting as the various European powers vied for
            power and possession of the continent (Last of the Mohicans always a
            favorite book).
            I have quite a lot of research ahead of me on the 1812 war and I am trying
            to get hold of some books which I am sure will generate more questions than
            they will give answers. My focus will be, as ever, on the politics which
            brought about the conflict and the technology of the weapons and equipment
            deployed.

            All the best,

            Kristian.
            UK
          • ronaldjdale@netscape.net
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 1, 2007
              Kristian,

              There are some superb books on the War of 1812.? J.M. Hitsman's "Incredible War of 1812" recently re-published with notes by Canadian historian Don Graves is a very good overview of the war.? Don has also published several excellent books on specific battles of the War of 1812.? Bob Malcomson has published studies of the Battle of Queenston Heights and the Naval War on Lake Ontario that are, like Graves' books, meticulously researched and written in a very interesting style.??Carl Benn has published a brief overview of the War and, among other writings, an excellent study of?First Nations?(North American "Indian" nations)?participation in the conflict.?? There are several other really good recent books.? I have even published my own modest overview--a brief outline of the war with copious illustrations.? Those just getting into the war have found this useful as a quick read that covers the basics without overwhelming the reader.? If any of these interest you I can forward details if you contact me directly at ron.dale@....

              Ron

            • Erika Reinhardt
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 4, 2007
                Kristin,

                The Jon Latimer book "1812:War with America" is brand new so not
                everyone may have read it yet. I myself admittedly have not finished
                it. But being from the UK you might find it very interesting because
                it is written from the British perspective and he's writing it for a
                UK audience. He explains the war in the political/military context of
                the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars, which I'm sure is a
                history that you are probably more familiar with. Basically he is
                trying to debunk American and Canadian nationalist myths surrounding
                the war and argues that Britain's war policy and relations with the
                United States was primarily influenced by the events going on in
                Europe at this time and was not an attempt to 'thwart' American
                sovreignty. He also sees it as a war the Americans lost but let's not
                start up that debate again in this forum.

                In short if you know very little about Canadian/US history at this
                time, it is a good book because he explains and clarifies points and
                issues that many of us in North American take for granted as 'common
                knowledge'. You also mentioned an interest in politics and you
                definitely get a lot of that as well as a good explanation on how
                Britain governed its colonies.

                If you are a Canadian/American you might also be interested in this
                book because he talks about how British newspapers reported on the
                war and the overall popular and political British response. He also
                looks at the British military strategy in a larger global context
                (ie. naval reinforcements could not be sent to the Great Lakes
                because they were needed in Bermuda and Spain) - These are some
                things that very few historians of the War of 1812 have bothered to
                examine.

                I'm sorry, I didn't mean to write such a long review.

                ~ Erika
                89th Grenadiers

                > Kristian,
                >

                > There are some superb books on the War of 1812.? J.M.
                Hitsman's "Incredible War of 1812" recently re-published with notes
                by Canadian historian Don Graves is a very good overview of the war.?
                Don has also published several excellent books on specific battles of
                the War of 1812.? Bob Malcomson has published studies of the Battle
                of Queenston Heights and the Naval War on Lake Ontario that are, like
                Graves' books, meticulously researched and written in a very
                interesting style.??Carl Benn has published a brief overview of the
                War and, among other writings, an excellent study of?First Nations?
                (North American "Indian" nations)?participation in the conflict.??
                There are several other really good recent books.? I have even
                published my own modest overview--a brief outline of the war with
                copious illustrations.? Those just getting into the war have found
                this useful as a quick read that covers the basics without
                overwhelming the reader.? If any of these interest you I can forward
                details if you contact me directly at ron.dale@...

                > Ron
                >

                > Hello All,

                Just a few lines to introduce myself. Over the last few years I have
                developed a strong interest in Canadian history via (no pun intended)
                my Canadian rail hobby (both model and prototype and I am also a
                moderator of the Canadian freight cars and ops Yahoo list).
                This has led me to an interest in Great Lakes shipping and whilst
                surfing the net look at books, models etc of Great Lakes ships, I came
                across the book Warships of the Great Lakes 1754-1834 by Robert
                Malcomson.
                This intrigued me as the war of 1812 had previously escaped my
                attention, as apart from the Franco-Prussian war of 1870-1871 I have
                generally concentrated on 20th century conflicts.
                Coincidentally at about this time the local press reviewed a book by
                John Latimer titled "1812, War with America" which I imagine list
                members will know about.
                It was reviewed in the local press because of the involvement of the
                Essex regiment in the conflict. You will no doubt therefore deduce
                from this that I live in Essex, UK.
                Further internet research has revealed that there are many books
                available on the subject and, as with the Franco-Prussian War,
                surprisingly even a DVD !
                I would now like to know more about this previously unknown, to me at
                least, aspect of military history.

                I look forward to being a member of this group and as my knowledge of
                the subject improves, taking part in future discussion.

                All the best,

                Kristian
                Essex
                UK

              • Ray Hobbs
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 4, 2007
                  The irony is that Jon, a British author (Welsh to boot), was originally
                  invited to write the book by a British publisher. But the publisher got
                  nervous about its appeal, and would not publish. A respected US
                  company, Harvard University Press, is now the publisher.
                  Those of you who were on the Queenston Hts march and recreation in
                  October may have brushed shoulders with Jon. He was wearing a uniform
                  of the 41st, and marched with us. He was my house guest for ten days at
                  the time, and is a good friend. He thoroughly enjoyed his time in
                  Canada.
                  He is currently working on a book on the Niagara campaign of 1814.
                  Just a few pieces of trivia.
                  Ray H
                  41st Regt.

                • JGIL1812@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 4, 2007
                    In a message dated 12/4/2007 5:00:16 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                    ray.hobbs@... writes:

                    He is currently working on a book on the Niagara campaign of 1814.
                    Just a few pieces of trivia.
                    Ray H

                    Ray,

                    Keep us posted on this new book. I have read Jon's " War with America" book
                    and his insights certainly made me re think some of my previous concrete
                    opinions about the war. See you at Meigs.

                    JG/RE

                  • glenn stott
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 4, 2007
                      Dear List,
                      I am in the process of reading Latimer's 1812 Book and find it refreshing in that it seems to be taking a third party approach, not Canadian or American, and putting a lot of the traditional issues in a true perspective ie. the importance of the Napoleonic crisis, vs. the significance of U.S. "sovereignity" over search and seizure. Quite refreshing. It also pokes holes in Canadian Myths as well.

                      So far an excellent read.

                      Glenn Stott, Royal Scots Lights
> [...]

                      attention, as apart from the Franco-Prussian war of 1870-1871 I have
                      generally concentrated on 20th century conflicts.
                      Coincidentally at about this time the local press reviewed a book by
                      John Latimer titled "1812, War with America" which I imagine list
                      members will know about.
                      It was reviewed in the local press because of the involvement of the
                      Essex regiment in the conflict. You will no doubt therefore deduce
                      from this that I live in Essex, UK.
                      Further internet research has revealed that there are many books
                      available on the subject and, as with the Franco-Prussian War,
                      surprisingly even a DVD !
                      I would now like to know more about this previously unknown, to me at
                      least, aspect of military history.

                      I look forward to being a member of this group and as my knowledge of
                      the subject improves, taking part in future discussion.

                    • Tom Hurlbut
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 4, 2007
                        Canadian "Myths"?

                        This would suggest we delude ourselves..

                        I think not! ;-)

                        "Major" Tom (who's known to be delusional)

                        I am in the process of reading Latimer's 1812 Book and find it refreshing in that it seems to be taking a third party approach, not Canadian or American, and putting a lot of the traditional issues in a true perspective ie. the importance of the Napoleonic crisis, vs. the significance of U.S. "sovereignity" over search and seizure. Quite refreshing. It also pokes holes in Canadian Myths as well.

                        So far an excellent read.

                        Glenn Stott, Royal Scots Lights

                        Recent Activity
                        a.. 3New Members
                        Visit Your Group
                        Only on Yahoo!
                        World of Star Wars

                        Meet fans, watch

                        videos & more.

                        Yahoo! News
                        Get it all here

                        Breaking news to

                        entertainment news

                        Biz Resources
                        Y! Small Business

                        Articles, tools,

                        forms, and more.
                        .

                      • James Yaworsky
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 4, 2007
                          Moderator here.

                          On the assumption that useful information regarding Jon Latimer's
                          recently published book on the War of 1812 is being and will be
                          posted, the "subject" line of this thread should be changed.
                          "Welcome" doesn't really assist anyone in the future who might want to
                          retrieve this information.

                          Jim Yaworsky

                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Hurlbut" <hurlbut8646@...> wrote:

                          > Canadian "Myths"?
                          >
                          > This would suggest we delude ourselves..
                          >
                          > I think not! ;-)
                          >
                          > "Major" Tom (who's known to be delusional)

                          12/4/2007 10:52 AM

                        • Kristian Burton
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 5, 2007
                            Hi Erika,

                            John Latimer's book is high on my "must have" list. It was a review of the
                            book in my local press that aroused my interest in this, indeed "incredible
                            war".
                            Having read your comments, I am even more anxious to obtain it.

                            All the best,

                            Kristian.
                            Essex
                            UK
> [...]
                            > attention, as apart from the Franco-Prussian war of 1870-1871 I have
                            > generally concentrated on 20th century conflicts.
                            > Coincidentally at about this time the local press reviewed a book by
                            > John Latimer titled "1812, War with America" which I imagine list
                            > members will know about.
                            > It was reviewed in the local press because of the involvement of the
                            > Essex regiment in the conflict. You will no doubt therefore deduce
                            > from this that I live in Essex, UK.
                            > Further internet research has revealed that there are many books
                            > available on the subject and, as with the Franco-Prussian War,
                            > surprisingly even a DVD !
                            > I would now like to know more about this previously unknown, to me at
                            > least, aspect of military history.
                            >
                            > I look forward to being a member of this group and as my knowledge of
                            > the subject improves, taking part in future discussion.

                          • aushishinhamori
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 30, 2008
                              Group,

                              Thank you all for the warm welcome, and the advice on contacts, and
                              regiments. I am looking forward to participating with all of you in the
                              future.

                              Thank you again,

                              Eric,

                              6th NC, Carolina Brigade