Re: website photo: "toy soldiers" Toronto monument

  • peter monahan
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 6, 2008
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "James Yaworsky" <yawors1@...> wrote:

      > I just have to ask. Given that the British toy soldier is a golden
      > colour, how is one supposed to know he is a member of the Royal
      > Newfoundland Regiment from any distance?

      Messers. Yaworsky & Johnson

      By his soldierly bearing, impeccable uniform and handsome demeanour, of
      course! You shouldn't even needed to have asked. Shame on you,
      Corporal Johnson!

      Humbly yours,

      P. Monahan, Sgt, RNR
    • James Yaworsky
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 6, 2008
        Oh! And here I was, thinking maybe the giveaway was that he had a few
        cod hanging out of his haversack out of sight on the other side of the
        picture...

        Jim Yaworsky
        Wannabe Jokester

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "peter monahan" <petemonahan@...> wrote:

        > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "James Yaworsky" <yawors1@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I just have to ask. Given that the British toy soldier is a golden
        > > colour, how is one supposed to know he is a member of the Royal
        > > Newfoundland Regiment from any distance?
        >

        > Messers. Yaworsky & Johnson
        >
        > By his soldierly bearing, impeccable uniform and handsome demeanour, of
        > course! You shouldn't even needed to have asked. Shame on you,
        > Corporal Johnson!
        >
        > Humbly yours,
        >
        > P. Monahan, Sgt, RNR

      • Kevin Garrett
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 6, 2008
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "James Yaworsky" <yawors1@...> wrote:

          > the giveaway was that he had a few
          > cod hanging out of his haversack out of sight on the other side of the
          > picture...
          >

          >>>Don't be silly ,Jim.....cod pieces had long been out of fashion by
          the early 1800's .

          BTW where in Toronto is this sculpture located?

          Kevin
        • ronpontiac
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 7, 2008
            wrote:
            "...how is one supposed to know he is a member of the Royal
            Newfoundland Regiment from any distance?"

            The simple answer is that the soldier is RNF because the artists says
            it is. However, RNF is prominent on the soldier's pack.

            Ron
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 7, 2008
              Did anyone answer this question?

              I would like to see the "toy soldiers" Toronto monument

              Does anyone on this group know where it is?

              Yrs.,
              L2

              Kevin Garrett wrote:

              "... where in Toronto is this sculpture located?"
            • Ian Gardner
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 7, 2008
                Hi Larry,

                Looks to be the northwest corner of Fleet and Bathurst.

                Google map link below

                http://tinyurl.com/5zfxja

                Ian

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 7, 2008
                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <larrylozon@...>
                    wrote:
                    >Thanks Mr. Lozon for getting my question answered. I was in Toronto
                    last weekend and would have visited the site had I only known about
                    it!
                    YH&OS
                    Kevin
                    Pioneer