1805 Royal Navy Sword

  • William Lee Davis
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4, 2008
      List--For those of you who might be interested, Military Heritage now
      has the 1805 pattern Royal Navy sword available. Take Care, LeeDavis,
      Surgeon HMS Dragon
    • suthren@magma.ca
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 4, 2008
        They are of excellent quality.

        V Suthren
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 4, 2008
          I agree that these look like excellent swords but my only thought is,
          aren't they a bit too good for an officer to take on sea service..?
          Great for ceremonial use, attending court or cutting the wedding cake
          but perhaps a plain, basic hangar would be better for taking to sea
          and fighting with.. Just my two cents worth..

          Cheers,

          John

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 4, 2008
            My research has come to the conclusion that Navy, Army, Artillery and
            especially Cavalry Officers were Peacocks who loved flashy things.
            They wore their finery to meet dignitaries or Tribal Chiefs so the
            sword in question is not too good for an officer to take on sea
            service as he never knew who he was to meet on the voyage.

            As Navy Officer re-enactors, who should be wearing this reproduction
            sword with a fine dress uniform as he is to encounter spectators who
            would expect it.

            I have heard spectators at an event say,

            " if he is a commander wouldn't he be dressed in a finer uniform than
            his men?" (He wouldn't wear a cutlass, rather a spiffy sword)

            The spectators expect the Crown Forces to wear Red and the Americans
            to wear blue and are confused when Crown Officers wear blue coat.

            They expect Naval Officers to wear blue uniforms.

            (Sorry Rifles, spectators are confused with GREEN as well)

            Yrs.,
            L2

            1805 Royal Navy Sword