monument pt 2

  • peter monahan
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2008
      Sorry! Forgot this bit.

      NOT YOUR TYPICAL WAR MEMORIAL

      Monument to the War of 1812 comprises two giant toy soldiers, a
      standing member of the 1813 Royal Newfoundland Regiment and a fallen
      American soldier from the 16th Infantry Regiment, who would have
      fought each other on April 27, 1813, when U.S. army and naval forces
      attacked what is now Toronto.

      Among the small crowd who turned out for the unveiling yesterday were
      retired teachers Ron Fletcher and Pat Gidlow.

      "The first thought is that it's funny," said Fletcher. "The second
      thought is, do you want a war memorial to be funny? I think I see the
      irony, but I'm not sure someone else, who actually fought in a war,
      would."

      "I'm happy to see art, even art I don't like," said Gidlow.

      The two men agreed on one thing: They were going to have to discuss
      it over an afternoon drink. In the end they talked for an hour.

      "I like art that makes you think, that engages you," said
      Fletcher. "Some memorials or monuments don't challenge you to think."