Re: 1812 advancing the guns

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
      Officers in command were so unnerved by the experience, however, that we were relegated to static battery firing the next day. Not everyone can handle moving guns.

      --------------------------------------

      Vic,

      I would hate to think that our 1812 officers were so 'windy' guns, properly and safely handled are a great asset and frankly if it worries those commanding the infantry, then they need more training. With our current crop of 1812 officers, routinely riding horses in action and use to working with all arms of the service I think that moving guns would be no problem, given a large enough field of course!

      Cheers,

    • Stephen Allie
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
        Used to command a horse drawn section (2 Guns) with fully mounted crew
        worked with both foot and horse never was a problem in coordination or
        safety. Trust and training are the key.
        Capt. Allie
        95th
      • LCpl_rm
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
          Chris Ward at the GT moved his gun up as the line moved forward. Granted that he kept well to the side of the line as to make sure there were no infractions or reactions whatsoever but he still kept pace to the advance with no problems from the MD Park personnel. When we moved onto the hill skirmish, Chris moved from the right of the line to the left in support.

          Cheers,

          Ed Seufert, Cpl
          1812 Royal Marines