Re: advancing the guns

  • whittakermp
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
      Peter:

      As a member of the Continetal Line's United Train of Artillery of
      Rhode Island, I can say on most occasions our three-pounder gun(s)
      and others are employed as battalion guns in line with the infantry
      and move accordingly.

      In the past, the UTA has held artillery schools in which the
      infantry participated. I have found most CL units are comfortable
      with the guns in the field.

      From time to time, some members of the opposing line approaches too
      closely to the guns. This is diminshing with education.

      However, I have seen, when in battery, the other side disregard the
      guns and come too close. We withdraw and they claim victory. Ah, for
      the lack of cannister and grape. Their officers seen of late more
      inclined to pull their rankers back from the muzzles.

      I have been with the UTA more than 10 years and our preferred modus
      operandi has been as battalion guns.

      The UTA has three rules. Be safe; be happy; or go home. If one or
      both of the first can't be met, put the third into operation.

      Safety is always paramount.

      Michael
    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
        Officers in command were so unnerved by the experience, however, that we were relegated to static battery firing the next day. Not everyone can handle moving guns.

        --------------------------------------

        Vic,

        I would hate to think that our 1812 officers were so 'windy' guns, properly and safely handled are a great asset and frankly if it worries those commanding the infantry, then they need more training. With our current crop of 1812 officers, routinely riding horses in action and use to working with all arms of the service I think that moving guns would be no problem, given a large enough field of course!

        Cheers,

      • Stephen Allie
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
          Used to command a horse drawn section (2 Guns) with fully mounted crew
          worked with both foot and horse never was a problem in coordination or
          safety. Trust and training are the key.
          Capt. Allie
          95th
        • LCpl_rm
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
            Chris Ward at the GT moved his gun up as the line moved forward. Granted that he kept well to the side of the line as to make sure there were no infractions or reactions whatsoever but he still kept pace to the advance with no problems from the MD Park personnel. When we moved onto the hill skirmish, Chris moved from the right of the line to the left in support.

            Cheers,

            Ed Seufert, Cpl
            1812 Royal Marines