Re: 1812 Canteens

  • Andrew Bateman
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 2, 2008
      I have both books and I've noticed a disagreement between them. In the
      Osprey book, the early 19th century canteen is called the "Italian
      canteen" and the pattern adopted "in 1875" is called the "Oliver". No
      explanation for the names is given. In SOLDIERS ACCOUTREMENTS OF THE
      BRITISH ARMY 1750- 1900, the early 19th century canteen is the "Water
      Bottle, Wood, General Service" and the one that the Osprey book
      identifies as the "Oliver" is called the "Water Bottle, Italian, 1874".
      Apparently it was a copy of the Italian army canteen of the period and
      was so noted in the "List of Changes" for that year. So I'd suggest that
      as reenactors we shouldn't be using the term "Italian canteen" for our
      water bottles.

      Andrew Bateman, 41st Foot