Re: Proposed Troop Transport Safety Requirements, Naval Establishment

  • Thomas Moore
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2008
      I would hope to see a rule that all leather gear should be taken off
      and slung on one's arm so that those items and the uniform coat may
      be removed quickly in case of water emergency. It may not look that
      pretty but it could save lives. Having been a Marine and having made
      many,many shipboard landings I know from training and experience that
      your clothing and equipment will absorb so much water so fast that it
      will pull you under immediately if you go in. A person will have
      only seconds to get rid of it and get back to the surface. Once the
      boats get into shallow water and near the shore the command to put
      the gear back on could be given prior to the assault if landing right
      into action. Should an emergency occurr, a diver could alway go back
      for Bess and her toys later.

      Tom Moore
      Bugler, 95th Rifles
      Former D-1/6 and G-2/4

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <suthren@...> wrote:

      > Proposed Troop Transport Safety Requirements
      >
      > As the coming Bicentennial of the War of 1812, and Grand Tacticals
      before and during it, will likely provide opportunities for Assault
      Landings and other events where armed troops are embarked in Naval
      Establishment boats and vessels, the following safety requirements
      are proposed:

      > 1. The Coxswain or Commander of the boat is in command of all
      embarked in it, whether crew or passengers, and all aboard will obey
      his/her instruction , regardless of the passenger's rank ashore.

      > 2. All edged weapons must be sheathed before entering the boat, and
      will not be drawn while in the boat. Tomahawks must be in a
      protective sheath or have the blade bound in cloth or leather.

      > 3. No Priming or Loading of muskets, rifles, fusils or pistols is
      to occur before boarding a boat, and ramrods must be "sprung" in the
      barrels to determine they are clear of charges.

      > 4. Firelock springs will be eased before entering a boat, and pans
      opened.

      > 5. All firelocks will be equipped with flashguards and
      hammerstalls, which shall be in place.

      > 6. No loose powder will be permitted in a boat, carried in any
      manner other than in approved containers by a qualified gunner.

      > 7. Cartridge boxes must contain correctly-made cartridges, and the
      boxes must have their flaps fastened shut during the voyage. Powder
      horns must be correctly stoppered.

      > 8. Operation of a boat's own properly safety-inspected guns shall
      be at the discretion of the Boat Coxswain or Commander, and shall be
      carried out by a qualified gunner.

      > 9. No smoking of any kind will be permitted in a boat, and no open
      fire save any match employed by the boat's gunner.

      > 10. Any musketry or riflery fire agreed to be given from a boat by
      embarked infantry or riflemen shall be previously agreed to by the
      Coxswain and the senior individual of the firing party, and
      procedures and specific safety measures in lieu of the general
      principles above are to be implemented prior to any such firing.

    • suthren@magma.ca
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2008
        Tom, thanks very much for that advice from someone aware of the perils of amphibious operations. Semper Fi.

        Vic
> [...]

        manner other than in approved containers by a qualified gunner.

        > 7. Cartridge boxes must contain correctly-made cartridges, and the
        boxes must have their flaps fastened shut during the voyage. Powder
        horns must be correctly stoppered.

        > 8. Operation of a boat's own properly safety-inspected guns shall
        be at the discretion of the Boat Coxswain or Commander, and shall be
        carried out by a qualified gunner.

        > 9. No smoking of any kind will be permitted in a boat, and no open
        fire save any match employed by the boat's gunner.

        > 10. Any musketry or riflery fire agreed to be given from a boat by
        embarked infantry or riflemen shall be previously agreed to by the
        Coxswain and the senior individual of the firing party, and
        procedures and specific safety measures in lieu of the general
        principles above are to be implemented prior to any such firing.

      • whittakermp
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
          Likely to ensure peace, order and good governance aboard!

          Michael
        • Patrick
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
            Sir,
            Might I make the following suggested additions, based on
            earlier "Amphibious Landing Brief" of 2005:

            1. On gaining the landing, the personnel embarked in a boat shall
            obey the instructions of the Coxswain for exiting the boat.

            2. The Coxswain of a boat shall have authority to refuse passage to
            any individual, officer or man, who appears in his judgment to be
            unwilling to follow such orders as he may give, or may constitute in
            his judgment a risk to the boat and its occupants for any reason
            whatsoever.

            I remain as always,
            Y.H. & O.S.
            Patrick

          • suthren@magma.ca
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
              Patrick

              Wise suggestions, which will be added. Thank you.

              Vic