Proposed Troop Transport Safety Requirements, Naval Establishment

  • suthren@magma.ca
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
      Proposed Troop Transport Safety Requirements

      As the coming Bicentennial of the War of 1812, and Grand Tacticals before and during it, will likely provide opportunities for Assault Landings and other events where armed troops are embarked in Naval Establishment boats and vessels, the following safety requirements are proposed:

      1. The Coxswain or Commander of the boat is in command of all embarked in it, whether crew or passengers, and all aboard will obey his/her instruction , regardless of the passenger's rank ashore.

      2. All edged weapons must be sheathed before entering the boat, and will not be drawn while in the boat. Tomahawks must be in a protective sheath or have the blade bound in cloth or leather.

      3. No Priming or Loading of muskets, rifles, fusils or pistols is to occur before boarding a boat, and ramrods must be "sprung" in the barrels to determine they are clear of charges.

      4. Firelock springs will be eased before entering a boat, and pans opened.

      5. All firelocks will be equipped with flashguards and hammerstalls, which shall be in place.

      6. No loose powder will be permitted in a boat, carried in any manner other than in approved containers by a qualified gunner.

      7. Cartridge boxes must contain correctly-made cartridges, and the boxes must have their flaps fastened shut during the voyage. Powder horns must be correctly stoppered.

      8. Operation of a boat's own properly safety-inspected guns shall be at the discretion of the Boat Coxswain or Commander, and shall be carried out by a qualified gunner.

      9. No smoking of any kind will be permitted in a boat, and no open fire save any match employed by the boat's gunner.

      10. Any musketry or riflery fire agreed to be given from a boat by embarked infantry or riflemen shall be previously agreed to by the Coxswain and the senior individual of the firing party, and procedures and specific safety measures in lieu of the general principles above are to be implemented prior to any such firing.

      Please comment as you see necessary.

      Victor Suthren

      Commodore pro tem
      Naval Establishments
      Crown Forces North America

      GOD SAVE THE KING.

    • Thomas Moore
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2008
        I would hope to see a rule that all leather gear should be taken off
        and slung on one's arm so that those items and the uniform coat may
        be removed quickly in case of water emergency. It may not look that
        pretty but it could save lives. Having been a Marine and having made
        many,many shipboard landings I know from training and experience that
        your clothing and equipment will absorb so much water so fast that it
        will pull you under immediately if you go in. A person will have
        only seconds to get rid of it and get back to the surface. Once the
        boats get into shallow water and near the shore the command to put
        the gear back on could be given prior to the assault if landing right
        into action. Should an emergency occurr, a diver could alway go back
        for Bess and her toys later.

        Tom Moore
        Bugler, 95th Rifles
        Former D-1/6 and G-2/4

      • suthren@magma.ca
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2008
          Tom, thanks very much for that advice from someone aware of the perils of amphibious operations. Semper Fi.

          Vic
> [...]

          manner other than in approved containers by a qualified gunner.

          > 7. Cartridge boxes must contain correctly-made cartridges, and the
          boxes must have their flaps fastened shut during the voyage. Powder
          horns must be correctly stoppered.

          > 8. Operation of a boat's own properly safety-inspected guns shall
          be at the discretion of the Boat Coxswain or Commander, and shall be
          carried out by a qualified gunner.

          > 9. No smoking of any kind will be permitted in a boat, and no open
          fire save any match employed by the boat's gunner.

          > 10. Any musketry or riflery fire agreed to be given from a boat by
          embarked infantry or riflemen shall be previously agreed to by the
          Coxswain and the senior individual of the firing party, and
          procedures and specific safety measures in lieu of the general
          principles above are to be implemented prior to any such firing.

        • whittakermp
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
            Likely to ensure peace, order and good governance aboard!

            Michael
          • Patrick
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
              Sir,
              Might I make the following suggested additions, based on
              earlier "Amphibious Landing Brief" of 2005:

              1. On gaining the landing, the personnel embarked in a boat shall
              obey the instructions of the Coxswain for exiting the boat.

              2. The Coxswain of a boat shall have authority to refuse passage to
              any individual, officer or man, who appears in his judgment to be
              unwilling to follow such orders as he may give, or may constitute in
              his judgment a risk to the boat and its occupants for any reason
              whatsoever.

              I remain as always,
              Y.H. & O.S.
              Patrick

            • suthren@magma.ca
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
                Patrick

                Wise suggestions, which will be added. Thank you.

                Vic