Re: 1812 new member

  • Ron Malmgren
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2008
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John Ogden" <johnjogden@...> wrote:

      > Hi, Ron. Welcome aboard.
      >
      >Thanks, John. As John and I are both from Southwestern Pennsylvania we
      have been members of the same units at times and it is nice to read
      greetings from a friend.
      We just opened our Washington Co. Historical Society's Frontier History
      Center in Washington, Pa. this past Saturday. We had twenty fellow
      reenactors including John and myself portraying a Virginia militia unit
      of 1777. Although the weather was rainy, especially in the morning, we
      had about 60 visitors. We have built a typical frontier refuge fort in
      the backcountry of Virginia/Pennsylvania. It consists of a blockhouse
      built of logs from a local 1790 double pen log barn and a square hewn
      log house (of about the same vintage) joined by a palisade. There are
      also several small outbuildings of new logs and in the future more will
      be added to the 22 acre sight. Also under the WCHS lease, adjacent in
      the park is a relocated two story 1840's log house, we use for meetings
      and educational programs. We plan on conducting monthly public
      educational visits manned with local reenactor volunteers and hopefully
      two larger events each year to include reenacting units.
      More on this later, if there is interest.
      Thanks again for the welcome,
      Ron Malmgren