Re: new member

  • Ron Malmgren
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2008
      Thanks, Ed. Not realizing the the preapproval on messages from I double
      posted my introduction in which I mentioned that I am from Washington,
      Pa. My unit as I said is forming Brush's Company, Ohio Militia. This is
      a spin off of the 8th Pennsylvania, Ft. Laurens detachment (BAR) based
      out of Canton, Ohio. We are basing our impression on the original
      information published by The Company of Military Historians. If anyone
      has the plate that accompanied that article, I would greatly appreciate
      a copy.
      Thank you,
      Ron Malmgren
      Brush's Co. Ohio Militia

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "LCpl_rm" <LCpl_RM@...> wrote:

      > Ron,
      >
      > Welcome to 1812!
      >
      > Please let folks know where you and you're unit are from. There are
      plenty of people on this list who will be willing to assist.

      > Cheers,
      >
      > Ed Seufert, Cpl
      > 1812 Royal Marines

    • Ron Malmgren
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2008
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John Ogden" <johnjogden@...> wrote:

        > Hi, Ron. Welcome aboard.
        >
        >Thanks, John. As John and I are both from Southwestern Pennsylvania we
        have been members of the same units at times and it is nice to read
        greetings from a friend.
        We just opened our Washington Co. Historical Society's Frontier History
        Center in Washington, Pa. this past Saturday. We had twenty fellow
        reenactors including John and myself portraying a Virginia militia unit
        of 1777. Although the weather was rainy, especially in the morning, we
        had about 60 visitors. We have built a typical frontier refuge fort in
        the backcountry of Virginia/Pennsylvania. It consists of a blockhouse
        built of logs from a local 1790 double pen log barn and a square hewn
        log house (of about the same vintage) joined by a palisade. There are
        also several small outbuildings of new logs and in the future more will
        be added to the 22 acre sight. Also under the WCHS lease, adjacent in
        the park is a relocated two story 1840's log house, we use for meetings
        and educational programs. We plan on conducting monthly public
        educational visits manned with local reenactor volunteers and hopefully
        two larger events each year to include reenacting units.
        More on this later, if there is interest.
        Thanks again for the welcome,
        Ron Malmgren