RE: 1812 Canteens

  • Kevin Windsor
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2008
      Actually Len did a great job of answering that question! Perhaps you didn't
      read it?

      Kevin

      _____

      From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of Larry Lozon

      and the question "Why were Crown Forces canteens made of wood during
      The War of 1812?" was not answered

    • Andrew Bateman
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 2, 2008
        I have both books and I've noticed a disagreement between them. In the
        Osprey book, the early 19th century canteen is called the "Italian
        canteen" and the pattern adopted "in 1875" is called the "Oliver". No
        explanation for the names is given. In SOLDIERS ACCOUTREMENTS OF THE
        BRITISH ARMY 1750- 1900, the early 19th century canteen is the "Water
        Bottle, Wood, General Service" and the one that the Osprey book
        identifies as the "Oliver" is called the "Water Bottle, Italian, 1874".
        Apparently it was a copy of the Italian army canteen of the period and
        was so noted in the "List of Changes" for that year. So I'd suggest that
        as reenactors we shouldn't be using the term "Italian canteen" for our
        water bottles.

        Andrew Bateman, 41st Foot