Fw: War of 1812 Symposium, Saturday, October 11th

  • LCpl_rm
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2008
      Probably too, too late for everyone but we have our own lecture series down here in the colonies. We also had a series of lectures concerning the Battles of St Leonard's Creek and the Chesapeake campaigns in general in the months leading up to the GT.

      Cheers,

      Ed Seufert, Cpl
      1812 Royal Marines

      Saturday, October 11, 2008

      Talks on the war of 1812 careers of presidents William Henry Harrison and Zachary Taylor; the Battle of North Point,

      a secret U.S. Navy mission to Nova Scotia

      to recover slaves taken by the British, the privateer General Armstrong, role of ethnic groups in the Battle of Baltimore and a panel on the upcoming Bicentennial of the War of 1812 will be among the highlights

      of the Twelfth National War of 1812 Symposium to be held at the Star-Spangled Banner Museum at 844 E. Pratt Street Baltimore, Maryland, Saturday, October

      11, 2008 from 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM.

      9:00 a.m. Introductory Remarks by Dr. Martin K. Gordon, historian and lecturer, University of Maryland University College.

      9:10 a.m. Acquanetta Anderson, "The Life and War of 1812 Career of President

      William Henry Harrison." Ms Anderson's fifth

      great-grand uncle was William Henry Harrison, ninth President of the United States (1841) who tragically died early in office after catching a cold that developed into pneumonia.

      10:00 a.m. Chris Tallevast, "The Battle for Baltimore: Significance of the Battle of North Point, September 12, 1814." Mr. Tallevast has just completed an MA dissertation in military history on the Battle of North Point.

      10:50 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Morning break

      11:00 a.m. Christine Hughes, "The Secret Mission to Halifax: Slaves as Property, Pawns, and Agents." Ms. Hughes, from the Naval Historical Center, is responsible, along with Drs. Michael Crawford and William Dudley, for the Center's seminal publication, The Naval War of 1812: A Documentary History

      Lunch 11:50 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Catered lunch, featuring roundtable discussions.

      1:00 p.m. Harold W. Youmans, "The War of 1812 Career of President Zachary Taylor." Col. Harold Youmans, U.S. Army (retired) recently became the Editor of the Journal of the War of 1812; he will discuss the military career of General Taylor, who became the twelfth President of the United States (1849-1850).

      1:50 p.m. Robert Rowen, "The American Privateer General Armstrong and the War of 1812." Mr. Rowen is coordinator of the New York Military Affairs Symposium.

      2:40 p.m. to 2:50 p.m. Afternoon break

      2:50 p.m. Christopher T. George, "Scottish, Scots Irish, Irish, African Americans and Jews in the Battle of Baltimore, September 1814." Mr. George, author of Terror on the Chesapeake: The War of 1812 on the Bay, and co-editor of the Journal of the War of 1812, recently published The Scots in Maryland and a History of the St. Andrew's Society of Baltimore, 1806-2006 (St. Andrew's Society of Baltimore, 2007).

      3:40 p.m. Bicentennial Panel led by Dr. Ralph Eshelman. Dr. Ralph Eshelman, historian, Star-Spangled Banner Trail Study Team, and a distinguished panel will discuss the latest plans to celebrate the upcoming Bicentennial of the War of 1812.

      4:30 p.m. Symposium ends.

      The Star-Spangled Banner Flag House is located at Pratt and Albemarle Streets, next to Little Italy near Baltimore's Inner Harbor. Attendees will be able to tour the 1793 home of flag maker Mary Pickersgill, maker of the Star-Spangled Banner that flew over Fort McHenry, Baltimore, during the British bombardment, September 13-14, 1814.

      The day will include a catered lunch, with the traditional informative lunchtime roundtables led by the day's speakers. Note: Signup for lunchtime roundtables will be accepted at Registration the day of the Symposium. In writing for tickets, please specify any special dietary needs, if applicable.

      Price is $37.50 per person. Please complete the form on the back of this page and send it with checks, in U.S. Dollars drawn on a U.S. Bank, made out to the War of 1812 Consortium, Inc., to

      Charles P. Ives III,

      802 Kingston Road,

      Baltimore, MD 21212.

      Or call 410-377-0749

    • James Yaworsky
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2008
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "LCpl_rm" <LCpl_RM@...> wrote:

        > Probably too, too late for everyone but we have our own lecture
        series down here in the colonies.
        > 12th National War of 1812 Symposium

        > a secret U.S. Navy mission to Nova Scotia
        >
        > to recover slaves taken by the British,

        You mean slaves *freed* by the British? What a box-office smash this
        scenario would make - perhaps Mel Gibson could play the U.S. Navy
        commander? ;>)

        Jim Yaworsky
        41st
      • John R. Maass
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 8, 2009
          Is there going to be a National War of 1812 Symposium in 2009? Or other similar symposia/conferences/meetings in the US or Canada?