Nov. 7th - Next 41st Lecture featuring Ross Flowers on Music

  • Tom Fournier
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 7, 2008
      Musical Warriors: Musicians in the British Napoleonic Army

      The 41st Regiment of Foot Military Living History Group is pleased to
      present the eighth instalment in the popular 41st Regiment Lecture
      Series featuring Ross Flowers; musician, historian and re-enactor.

      Mr. Flowers serves as the Drum Major for the "Drums 1812". They are
      a highly regarded Fife & Drum Corps who not only support the Crown
      Forces at War of 1812 Events but have also performed in a number of
      significant parades and ceremonies across North America.

      Join us to hear Ross speak about music and its role in the British
      Army during the Napoleonic (and War of 1812) time frame.

      The lecture is to be held at the Iron Duke House at the Wellington
      Brewery in Guelph, Ontario located at 950 Woodlawn Road West on
      Friday, November 7th, 2008.

      Doors open at 6:30 p.m.
      Lecture commences at 7:30 p.m.
      Speaker will host a Q&A at 8:30
      Social commences at 9:00

      There will be a nominal $10.00 fee to support the evening.

      Tickets will sell fast! Please take the time to pre-register to save
      your seat.

      Seats can be reserved by going to

      www.fortyfirst.org

      Or emailing:

      register (at) fortyfirst.org

      The 41st Regiment is grateful to the support of the Wellington
      Brewery and Mr. Flowers.
    • Iain Burns
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 7, 2008
        Gentlemen, you really need to take this show on the road...

        Has any thought been given to having these lectures at the Grand Tacticals, or perhaps videotaping them so us poor, deprived Yanks in Brit's clothing here in the mid-Atlantic can get the benefit of the series? I would love to be present at the Drum Major's talk, but fear that it is a bit far to go from New Jersey...

        Aye,
        Iain
        1st Royal Scots Centre Coy (1812)
        42nd RHR (Napoleonic)

[...]

      • Bob Boynton, RNCR, 16th, etc
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 7, 2008
          And I second that, speaking from North Carolina
          Bob Boynton
          21st RNBF, 3rd co

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 7, 2008
            Thank you for the interest and suggestions!

            Part of our mandate is to educate and enrich our local communities
            and our lecture series has been one of our vehicles. We have a great
            sponsor in Wellington Brewery, a wonderful venue in their Iron Duke
            House and a very loyal local following.

            We are all really stunned that this next one will be our 8th lecture
            wrapping up our fourth year of this activity. It has been a real
            pleasure to showcase the body of knowledge resident predominately in
            our extended community.

            We have been exploring options for capturing and sharing this
            experience but this can only be done with the cooperation of our
            speakers and also with an eye to protecting their research and
            insights. There has been consideration for recordings on CDs or DVDs
            or perhaps a streaming video from our website.

            We will see what we can do.

            Thanks again!

            Tom Fournier, Chair
            41st Regiment of Foot MLHG

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Iain Burns" <iain51hdbw@...> wrote:

            > Gentlemen, you really need to take this show on the road...
            >
            > Has any thought been given to having these lectures at the
            Grand Tacticals, or perhaps videotaping them so us poor, deprived
            Yanks in Brit's clothing here in the mid-Atlantic can get the benefit
            of the series? I would love to be present at the Drum Major's talk,
            but fear that it is a bit far to go from New Jersey...

            > Aye,
            > Iain
            > 1st Royal Scots Centre Coy (1812)
            > 42nd RHR (Napoleonic)
          • Iain Burns
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 7, 2008
              Tom...

              Any way to get these talks to a wider audience would be welcome... it really sounds like you have some great discussions up there. I might just make it one of these days (my nephew's girlfriend lives up that way; I may have to stay on her good side so I can crash on her couch), but until that time...

              And of course a visit to old Nosey's Brewery wouldn't go amiss....

              Aye,
              Iain

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 24, 2008
                A friendly reminder, our next lecture is only two weeks away. While
                tickets sales having been moving along quite nicely, we are pleased
                to advise that we still have space.

                Instructions for confirming a space in in the message below.

                Your servant,

                Tom Fournier
                41st Regiment

                > Musical Warriors: Musicians in the British Napoleonic Army
                >
                > The 41st Regiment of Foot Military Living History Group is pleased
                > present the eighth instalment in the popular 41st Regiment Lecture
                > Series featuring Ross Flowers; musician, historian and re-enactor.
                >
                > Mr. Flowers serves as the Drum Major for the "Drums 1812". They
                are
                > a highly regarded Fife & Drum Corps who not only support the Crown
                > Forces at War of 1812 Events but have also performed in a number of
                > significant parades and ceremonies across North America.
                >
                > Join us to hear Ross speak about music and its role in the British
                > Army during the Napoleonic (and War of 1812) time frame.
                >
                > The lecture is to be held at the Iron Duke House at the Wellington
                > Brewery in Guelph, Ontario located at 950 Woodlawn Road West on
                > Friday, November 7th, 2008.
                >
                > Doors open at 6:30 p.m.
                > Lecture commences at 7:30 p.m.
                > Speaker will host a Q&A at 8:30
                > Social commences at 9:00
                >
                > There will be a nominal $10.00 fee to support the evening.
                >
                > Tickets will sell fast! Please take the time to pre-register to
                save
                > your seat.
                >
                > Seats can be reserved by going to
                >
                > www.fortyfirst.org
                >
                > Or emailing:
                >
                > register (at) fortyfirst.org
                >
                > The 41st Regiment is grateful to the support of the Wellington
                > Brewery and Mr. Flowers.

              • Tom Fournier
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 2, 2008
                  Good evening list!

                  Pardon the interruption, but I wanted to post one last notice around
                  this Friday's lecture. We still have seats available.

                  Thank you!

                  Tom Fournier, Chair
                  41st Regiment of Foot
                  www.fortyfirst.org