RE: 1812 PUSSER'S RUM

  • Gord Deans
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 6, 2008
      Having some knowledge of the character of the pursers warranted by the
      Victualling and Sick Board, It is quite possible that Nelson's barrel
      was still in use right up to Black Friday in 1970.

      Since the purser's rum was free to sailors it was preferred over any
      purchased alcohol. The strict rationing aboard ship was never a
      problem for the enterprizing. I have an entire book devoted to the
      elaborate subterfuges and techniques used to acquire the rum between
      the official daily issues. Drilling was only one of the most obvious
      and simple tricks.

      Gord Deans, Purser, H.M. Charwell.

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 7, 2008
        I think we should step back for a moment and think this over. After
        107 messages, this thread has come perilously close to being relevant
        to the purpose of this list...

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Gord Deans" <gord.deans@...> wrote:

        > Having some knowledge of the character of the pursers warranted by
        the
        > Victualling and Sick Board, It is quite possible that Nelson's
        barrel
        > was still in use right up to Black Friday in 1970.
        >
        > Since the purser's rum was free to sailors it was preferred over any
        > purchased alcohol. The strict rationing aboard ship was never a
        > problem for the enterprizing. I have an entire book devoted to the
        > elaborate subterfuges and techniques used to acquire the rum between
        > the official daily issues. Drilling was only one of the most
        obvious
        > and simple tricks.
        >
        > Gord Deans, Purser, H.M. Charwell.

        On
        > Behalf Of ronpontiac
        > Sent: October 6, 2008 6:21 PM
        > To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: 1812 PUSSER'S RUM
        >
        > Now here I am being educated once more. I always assumed that
        > Nelson's
        > Tars would drink absolutely anything alcoholic and the His Majesty
        > complied by finding the cheapeast thing that the Indies could
        produce.
        > Now I learn that sailors were connoisseurs with discriminating
        tastes
        > in rum. I recall the story of Nelson being picked in a barrel of
        > spirits after Trafalgar to preserve him well on the trip back to
        > Blimey. It was found on arrival that the sailors had drunk a number
        > of
        > toasts to Our Nel by draining the barrel.
        >
        > Do they add tinture of cadaver to Pusser's rum?
        >
        > Ron
        >

        > ------------------------------------
        >
        > War of 1812 Living History:
        > A wide-ranging information exchange
        > for all participants and supporters

        > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
        > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
        > American Forces Unit Listing
        > http://usforces1812.tripod.com
        >
        > WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
        > http://royal.scots.tripod.com/warof1812eventslistYahoo! Groups
        > Links

      • Chris McKay
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 7, 2008
          Now in fairness, John, the stated purpose of this list is
          to "facilitate easy communications between reenactors." Any
          communication between reenactors is theoretically on topic, therefore
          (whether it's relevant to the War of 1812 or not).

          So, you have any plans for the long weekend?

          Sarcastically yours,

          Chris McKay

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John McGarry" <johnmcgarry1@...>
          wrote:

          > I think we should step back for a moment and think this over. After
          > 107 messages, this thread has come perilously close to being relevant
          > to the purpose of this list...
        • Gord Deans
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 8, 2008
            John,

            Thank you for your persistence. I had lost count at 43.

            As our futures and retirements evaporate, the one certain thing left
            to us is Pusser's, which has survived hundreds of years.

            It was not just a coincidence that just before a battle, captains
            would call for an issue of rum to steady the nerves of their gunners
            and sailors. It was good enough then to save the Empire, perhaps it
            will do so once again.

            P.S. I would not recommend trying to step backwards after some
            Pusser's.

          • suthren@magma.ca
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 8, 2008
              Charles Tobias of Pusser's Rum was very supportive of naval re-enactment when last his office replied to e-mail messages in 2006. Since then there has been little response to requests they consider possible support to 1700-1815 naval re-enactment events and activities. Pity, as the link is a natural one. And the product is golden (I have a secretly cached bottle to be opened on completion of the Halifax huge event in 2009, if all goes as it should. O Joy, O Rapture....)

              Vic Suthren

              I think we should step back for a moment and think this over. After
              107 messages, this thread has come perilously close to being relevant
              to the purpose of this list...

            • whittakermp
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 9, 2008
                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <suthren@...> wrote:

                ...I have a secretly cached bottle to be opened on completion of the
                Halifax huge event in 2009, if all goes as it should. O Joy, O
                Rapture...

                Let all who plan to be in Halifax next year bring a bottle and after
                the event we can commemorate VE Day as was in Halifax.

                Kedge made me write that.

                Michael
              • Sue
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 10, 2008
                  Good plan!

                  And it sure wasn't the padre that made you write that!
                  Do you think the organizers will give us all a "get-out-of-jail-free"
                  card? LOL

                  Galleycrew

                • suthren@magma.ca
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 10, 2008
                    With now 5,000-plus tall ships sailors and 150,000 spectators in for the Halifax weekend, there should be a lot of peopleto party with. They can't put EVERYONE in jail....

                    Vic
                    And it sure wasn't the padre that made you write that!
                    Do you think the organizers will give us all a "get-out-of-jail-free"
                    card? LOL

                    Galleycrew

                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "whittakermp" <whittakermp@...> wrote:

                    > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <suthren@> wrote:
                    >
                    > ...I have a secretly cached bottle to be opened on completion of the
                    > Halifax huge event in 2009, if all goes as it should. O Joy, O
                    > Rapture...
                    >
                    > Let all who plan to be in Halifax next year bring a bottle and after
                    > the event we can commemorate VE Day as was in Halifax.
                    >
                    > Kedge made me write that.
                    >
                    > Michael

                  • Dale Kidd
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 13, 2008
                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <suthren@...> wrote:

                      > With now 5,000-plus tall ships sailors and 150,000 spectators in for
                      the Halifax weekend, there should be a lot of peopleto party with. They
                      can't put EVERYONE in jail....

                      And even if they can, we should be able to confuse the authorities
                      pretty nicely... whose jurisdiction do we fall under? We wear naval
                      uniforms! Are we under the jurisdiction of the local cops or the
                      military Shore Patrol? Just don't run afoul of the RCMP, or you're DONE!

                      Dale