Re: 1812 PUSSER'S et other drinks of choice

  • suthren@magma.ca
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008
      In the messdeck of HM Bark Endeavour, alongside at Kailua-Kona, Hawaii after a gruelling 18-day passage from British Columbia, I was introduced by the Aussie permanent crew to a rum known as "Methusalem". This, gentlemen, is the nectar of the gods. Pusser's is excellent, but, O my, that "Methusalem"......

      Vic Suthren
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008
        I rest my case Mr. Deans

        Yrs.,
        L2

        PS: I enjoyed our talk at Fanshawe

        --- Vic Suthren wrote:

        In the messdeck of HM Bark Endeavour, alongside at Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
        after a gruelling 18-day passage from British Columbia, I was
        introduced by the Aussie permanent crew to a rum known as "Methusalem".
        This, gentlemen, is the nectar of the gods. Pusser's is excellent, but,
        O my, that "Methusalem"......
      • Craig Williams
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008
          Yes, What is it with the Austrailians and rum?

          A couple of years ago at one of the WW1 events, we were being rained
          upon by sheets of icy water
          The Lt. of the Austrailian section, (a group that does include real
          Aussies),comes down the line with an Austrailian tonic called
          "Blackstrap rum".
          It was incredible. It was almost as good a Morgans Special reserve.

          And for the record, I am of the same opinion as Mr. Hurlbut regarding
          the Pussers.
          I guess it's what makes Jack Tar the tough character he is.

          Craig

          On 6-Oct-08, at 3:58 PM, <suthren@...> wrote:

          > In the messdeck of HM Bark Endeavour, alongside at Kailua-Kona,
          > Hawaii after a gruelling 18-day passage from British Columbia, I
          > was introduced by the Aussie permanent crew to a rum known as
          > "Methusalem". This, gentlemen, is the nectar of the gods. Pusser's
          > is excellent, but, O my, that "Methusalem"......
          >
          > Vic Suthr

        • Ray Hobbs
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008
            Re: Other drinks of choice. In Proverbs 23 this is written:

            Who has redness of eyes?
            30Those who linger late over wine,
            those who keep trying mixed wines.
            31Do not look at wine when it is red,
            when it sparkles in the cup
            and goes down smoothly.
            32At the last it bites like a serpent,
            and stings like an adder.
            33Your eyes will see strange things,
            and your mind utter perverse things.
            34You will be like one who lies down in the midst of the sea,
            like one who lies on the top of a mast.*
            35�They struck me�, you will say,* �but I was not hurt;
            they beat me, but I did not feel it.

            Now, I have been looking for a drink like that for years, if not
            decades. Pussers, lovely though it is, does not even come close.

            Your Humble and Obedient Servant (Hic!)
            Ray H
            41st Regt.

            On 6-Oct-08, at 5:43 PM, Craig Williams wrote:

            > Yes, What is it with the Austrailians and rum?
            >
            > A couple of years ago at one of the WW1 events, we were being rained
            > upon by sheets of icy water
            > The Lt. of the Austrailian section, (a group that does include real
            > Aussies),comes down the line with an Austrailian tonic called
            > "Blackstrap rum".
            > It was incredible. It was almost as good a Morgans Special reserve.
            >
            > And for the record, I am of the same opinion as Mr. Hurlbut regarding
            > the Pussers.
            > I guess it's what makes Jack Tar the tough character he is.
            >
            > Craig

          • Gord Deans
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008
              Commodore, Colonel and Gentlemen,

              This lowly tar begs leave to yield to your superior rank and
              taste-buds.

              Oh! Wait.

              Was it not Australian rum which drove the officers of the New South
              Wales Corps to mutiny, seize and imprison Governor William Bligh (yes
              that same infamous creature of the Admiralty) in 1808, eventually
              leading to the breakup of the New South Wales Corps and the court
              martial of the commandant for mutiny?

              Bligh was the only Royal Navy Officer to survive two mutinies and
              courts martial to become a rear admiral. The event is still
              remembered as the Australian Rum Rebellion of 1808.

              Perhaps officers and rum are best left unmixed.

              Gord Deans, H.M. Charwell.

              P.S. I second your sentiments Mr. Lozon and will remember our talk
              from the weekend with a glass of Almond Sherry as soon as I can
              acquire it. Even a lowly Jack Tar can aspire to the tastes of his
              superiors.

              P.P.S. For those of the Australian persuasion, I would recommend the
              black dot label (33% overproof) of Inner Circle Rum originated by the
              Colonial Sugar Refinery in 1901 if you can find it.

              The Lt. of the Australian section, ... comes down the line with an