1812 Re: Pusser's de-listed by LCBO

  • Gord Deans
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
      Mr. Wilding,

      Shame. Our beloved Horatio is turning in his crypt. You have sullied
      the image of "Nelson's Blood". All good Royal Navy tars will rise up
      from the depths and swamp your vessel the next time you set out upon
      the sea. Surely, there must be an article of war that makes what you
      sentiments a hanging offence.

      As you read this, there are a couple dozen Provincial Marine and Royal
      Navy sailors camped in the freezing rain on the shores of Lake
      Fanshawe - their only sustenance being bottles of British Navy
      Pusser's Rum to see them through to the next dawn.

      The cure for boredom is sheer terror. That is why I am a Royal Navy
      gunner and still have most of my fingers.

      Gord Deans, H.M. Brig Charwell Gun Crew.

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Vince Wilding" <vince@...> wrote:

      > At the culmination of the GT last week (OOPS! is it already 2 weeks
      > ago?) Ship's Company "Spliced the Main Brace" with Pusser's. I am
      not
      > usually a drinking man, but on this occasion I took a tot. It
      reminded
      > me of the time I was mowing the lawn and the mower ran out of gas.
      > Rather than drive to the gas station, I took a rubber hose, stuck it
      in
      > the car gas tank and siphoned out enough to fill the mower's tank.
      > That's where I'd tasted Pusser's before!
      >
      > --
      > Vince Wilding, AKA Honest Jock Matlow
      > Web Page: www.WincingDevil.com
      > MSN: vwilding AOL: WincingDevil Yahoo: Wincing_Devil
      > The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

    • Gord Deans
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
        I think that we can safely disregard Mr. Hurlbut's opinion as he is
        often found in the garb of Cousin Jonathan. Who can trust the
        judgement of a turncoat? You can be sure that he will be grasping his
        own bottle of British Navy Pusser's Rum this weekend as he freezes on
        the shores of Lake Fanshawe.

        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 4, 2008
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "whittakermp" <whittakermp@...> wrote:

          > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <saultcitysoo@> wrote:
          >
          > Some marketing on the part of the producers might help! God alone
          > knows why people drink the other dreck...
          >
          > My dear Sue, our friend Kedge rather fancies Black Seal or Appleton's
          > when his sojourns in the LCBO have proved fruitless ventures for
          > Pusser's. Seems Kedge may yet have a bottle of Pusser's stashed away
          > as he has ofted experienced the aforesaid fruitless, near wetless,
          > quests in those LCBO's purporting to be "Vintage" providers. He plans
          > to recce the package stores between Ogdensburg, NY and Marion, MA on
          > his next foray.
          >
          > Michael

          I have never developed a taste for rum or for the maritime life. Dry
          land and a single malt suits me fine. Brother Michael can follow in
          Great Grandad's Royal Navy endeavours while I will follow in the
          families Gordon Highland Regiment footsteps.
          I hope all goes well at Fanshawe.
          Best regards,
          Bruce Whittaker
        • Sue
          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 4, 2008
            Well, we know that Kedge can be quite undiscerning in his tastes upon
            occasion! :-)
            But he need not fear, as Blind Pugh found a stash of Pussers whilst
            renoing the family room. :-O But I will make sure that it is doled out
            judiciously, not slopped into mugs with no regard for the future!

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "whittakermp" <whittakermp@...> wrote:

            > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <saultcitysoo@> wrote:
            >
            > Some marketing on the part of the producers might help! God alone
            > knows why people drink the other dreck...
            >
            > My dear Sue, our friend Kedge rather fancies Black Seal or Appleton's
            > when his sojourns in the LCBO have proved fruitless ventures for
            > Pusser's. Seems Kedge may yet have a bottle of Pusser's stashed away
            > as he has ofted experienced the aforesaid fruitless, near wetless,
            > quests in those LCBO's purporting to be "Vintage" providers. He plans
            > to recce the package stores between Ogdensburg, NY and Marion, MA on
            > his next foray.
            >
            > Michael

          • Gord Deans
            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 4, 2008
              I beg leave to report that his Majesty's forces encountered troops of
              President Madison this instant near the small village of Fanshawe on
              the northern branch of the Thames River in Upper Canada and held them
              in check thanks to the valiant efforts of the Provincial Marine and
              Royal Navy boats operating on said waterway in the noon battle. A
              second encounter showed the invader the bravery and resilience of the
              British redcoats, ably supported by Royal Artillery and Royal Navy gun
              crews.

              A total of 8 guns dueled throughout the battle as the British line and
              skirmishers pushed our Cousin Jonathan back. Evening patrols on the
              river by H.M. boat Ferret failed to locate the enemy but they are
              expected to reappear tomorrow.

              Many tales of daring are at this moment being exchanged over liberal
              quantities of Pusser's Rum which mysteriously seems to be in abundant
              supply in the camp not withstanding the earlier reported shortages.

              Wherever the sun sets and there stands a Royal Navy tar to preserve
              the empire, there will always be Pusser's Rum.

              Gord Deans, H.M. Brig Charwell Landing Party.
            • whittakermp
              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 5, 2008
                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <saultcitysoo@...> wrote:

                > Well, we know that Kedge can be quite undiscerning in his tastes upon
                > occasion! :-)

                Terri ran a successful recce this weekend. The LCBO in Kemptville is
                now down to four bottles of Pusser's.

                Bruce and others who may be interested in sigle malt: Our great
                grandfather when back from the Ashanti War took some leave on the Isle
                of Islay. According to his journal, he bought two bottles at a
                distillery. While enjoying the view from a headland, he killed a snake
                that crawled from beneath a rock beside him. He put the remains into
                one of the bottles, yet unopened. I assume as a thrifty highlander he
                later drank from said bottle, but he left no account in that regard.
                Certainly a little meat introduced early into the distilling process
                improves the smoothness of poteen, but that is for the Irish side of
                the family.

                Michael
              • Tom Hurlbut
                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 6, 2008
                  Mr. Deans,

                  May I ask what part of my opinion you suggest people should disregard, my assessment of the flavour of the rum or that it is truly historical?

                  My seconds will call upon you.

                  "Lt./Major" Tom

                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 6, 2008
                    Mr. Hurlbut,

                    Your statement on the 3rd, -- Pusser's is perhaps, not the "best" rum
                    I've had. -- is pure heresy and would NEVER pass the lips of a loyal
                    sailor of His Majesty let alone of an officer and a gentlemen of the
                    King. In view of your known predilection for cross-dressing, your
                    aberrant views may be excused, much as we all turn a blind eye to the
                    crazy babblings of our Mad King George.

                    Forget about seconds, sir, as I am already up to my third tankard of
                    this fine Pusser's libation -- before noon none-the-less -- watch the
                    evening news about Black Monday #3 (today) and you WILL understand.

                    Pusser's was the BEST rum that a Royal Navy tar would ever hope to
                    taste, and I dare say probably that an American sailor would ever
                    taste.

                    If you persist in your delusional views, I as the Aggrieved Party will
                    choose a duel of 3-pounders at 25 paces with double loads of
                    cannister. Be warned, I will also have a double load of Pusser's.
                    Pray the steadiest hand prevails.

                    Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

                    Gord Deans, Gunner / Purser, H.M. Brig Charwell Landing Party.

                    P.S. My Acting Captain, Lt. Fisher, has forbidden any duelling with
                    rebels and traitors to the Crown, so we will have to meet at midnight
                    - no lanterns permitted, much as a Saturday night at Fort Erie. I
                    trust that YOU will be suitably garbed in your bright white vest as I
                    will have my regulation dark Navy blue waist-coat on.

                    G O D S A V E T H E K I N G and P U S S E R ' S !

                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 6, 2008
                      Mr. Deans

                      I take particular exception to your comments but realize that you are "Three sheets to the wind" and so should be excused somewhat.

                      I will, however, correct you on some points:

                      I issued the challenge as "the aggrieved party". You do indeed have choice of weapons. 3 pdrs would be acceptable.

                      Secondly, I'm certain American sailors have tasted Pusser's rum as it is well known that many US citizens were falsely pressed into the RN where, I'm certain, they partook of the foul stuff as the best, indeed, only thing available to ease the pain of their incarceration (with the added danger of drowning!).

                      Finally, I also remind you that, when the two Georges met at midfield for the coin toss, Mr Washington won and His Majesty's forces had to wear red, stand out in the open and fire all at once, while Americans were able to wear dark colors, use available concealment and cover, and were allowed to make aimed shots.

                      I would have my seconds call on your "thirds" but will refrain out of respect for Lt. Fisher.

                      Your Servant, Sir,

                      Lieutenant (N) Thomas Hurlbut

                      PS: Thanks for the rum, Gord. It did indeed warm the innards!

                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 6, 2008
                        You are most welcome, sir.

                        However, I remain flabbergasted and gabberflasted at your obviously
                        colonial interpretation of our past history.

                        Our beloved King George may have been wooden-headed but your King
                        George actually had wooden teeth. How colonial can you get.

                        Have a good winter. I hear that it is going to snow next weekend up
                        your way in the north.

[...]

                        ------------------------------------

                        War of 1812 Living History:
                        A wide-ranging information exchange