Pusser's - Some more good news.

  • Dale Kidd
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
      I decided to go straight to the heart of the matter, and contacted the
      good folks at Pusser's directly. Within 24 hours, I found a reply in my
      inbox. Seems they are aware of the problem, and are already taking
      steps to rectify the situation. They expect to have Pusser's back on
      the shelf in LCBO stores by December. Reading between the lines, the
      tone of the note I got left me with the distinct feeling there is a
      suddenly unemployed sales rep out there somewhere...

      I have fallen back on a backup brand for this weekend. However, Mr.
      Deans, I would be interested in aquiring a bottle of Pusser's from you
      this weekend to see me through the autumn months.

      ~Dale
    • Sue
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
        Then you didn't have the real thing Vince!
        Some scallywag must have decanted B******'s or somesuch slop into a
        proper Pussers bottle. :-)

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Vince Wilding" <vince@...> wrote:

        > At the culmination of the GT last week (OOPS! is it already 2 weeks
        > ago?) Ship's Company "Spliced the Main Brace" with Pusser's. I am not
        > usually a drinking man, but on this occasion I took a tot. It reminded
        > me of the time I was mowing the lawn and the mower ran out of gas.
        > Rather than drive to the gas station, I took a rubber hose, stuck it in
        > the car gas tank and siphoned out enough to fill the mower's tank.
        > That's where I'd tasted Pusser's before!
        >
        > --
        > Vince Wilding, AKA Honest Jock Matlow
        > Web Page: www.WincingDevil.com
        > MSN: vwilding AOL: WincingDevil Yahoo: Wincing_Devil
        > The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

      • Tom Hurlbut
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
          Actually, Pusser's is perhaps, not the "best" rum I've had.. So in that regard, I can agree with Vince that its flavour is an "acquired taste"..

          But it is a taste of history, and that is what I find appealing about it.

          "Lt." Tom

          Then you didn't have the real thing Vince!
          Some scallywag must have decanted B******'s or somesuch slop into a
          proper Pussers bottle. :-)

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Vince Wilding" <vince@...> wrote:

          > At the culmination of the GT last week (OOPS! is it already 2 weeks
          > ago?) Ship's Company "Spliced the Main Brace" with Pusser's. I am not
          > usually a drinking man, but on this occasion I took a tot. It reminded
          > me of the time I was mowing the lawn and the mower ran out of gas.
          > Rather than drive to the gas station, I took a rubber hose, stuck it in
          > the car gas tank and siphoned out enough to fill the mower's tank.
          > That's where I'd tasted Pusser's before!
          >
          > --
          > Vince Wilding, AKA Honest Jock Matlow
          > Web Page: www.WincingDevil.com
          > MSN: vwilding AOL: WincingDevil Yahoo: Wincing_Devil
          > The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

        • whittakermp
          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <saultcitysoo@...> wrote:

            Some marketing on the part of the producers might help! God alone
            knows why people drink the other dreck...

            My dear Sue, our friend Kedge rather fancies Black Seal or Appleton's
            when his sojourns in the LCBO have proved fruitless ventures for
            Pusser's. Seems Kedge may yet have a bottle of Pusser's stashed away
            as he has ofted experienced the aforesaid fruitless, near wetless,
            quests in those LCBO's purporting to be "Vintage" providers. He plans
            to recce the package stores between Ogdensburg, NY and Marion, MA on
            his next foray.

            Michael
          • Robert White
            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
              Pusser's is indeed being produced "by another outfit" using the exact same recipe,  Not only are they using the same recipe they made the same deal with the British Navy when they purchased the rights and a sizeable portion of the profits goes to the British Navy Sailor's Relief Fund as they have since the earliest times.  I have personally met the owner while on Tortola.  Great guy.  They do sell online.    Although I wasn't successful yet in getting us to be an official Pusser's Tot Club we might be able to find a tot or two for those who might chose to visit us when we are in the Navy yard.  Pvt. White, Marine Guard, U.S.S. Constitution, Charlestown, Mass.

              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
                Mr. Wilding,

                Shame. Our beloved Horatio is turning in his crypt. You have sullied
                the image of "Nelson's Blood". All good Royal Navy tars will rise up
                from the depths and swamp your vessel the next time you set out upon
                the sea. Surely, there must be an article of war that makes what you
                sentiments a hanging offence.

                As you read this, there are a couple dozen Provincial Marine and Royal
                Navy sailors camped in the freezing rain on the shores of Lake
                Fanshawe - their only sustenance being bottles of British Navy
                Pusser's Rum to see them through to the next dawn.

                The cure for boredom is sheer terror. That is why I am a Royal Navy
                gunner and still have most of my fingers.

                Gord Deans, H.M. Brig Charwell Gun Crew.

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Vince Wilding" <vince@...> wrote:

                > At the culmination of the GT last week (OOPS! is it already 2 weeks
                > ago?) Ship's Company "Spliced the Main Brace" with Pusser's. I am
                not
                > usually a drinking man, but on this occasion I took a tot. It
                reminded
                > me of the time I was mowing the lawn and the mower ran out of gas.
                > Rather than drive to the gas station, I took a rubber hose, stuck it
                in
                > the car gas tank and siphoned out enough to fill the mower's tank.
                > That's where I'd tasted Pusser's before!
                >
                > --
                > Vince Wilding, AKA Honest Jock Matlow
                > Web Page: www.WincingDevil.com
                > MSN: vwilding AOL: WincingDevil Yahoo: Wincing_Devil
                > The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

              • Gord Deans
                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
                  I think that we can safely disregard Mr. Hurlbut's opinion as he is
                  often found in the garb of Cousin Jonathan. Who can trust the
                  judgement of a turncoat? You can be sure that he will be grasping his
                  own bottle of British Navy Pusser's Rum this weekend as he freezes on
                  the shores of Lake Fanshawe.

                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 4, 2008
                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "whittakermp" <whittakermp@...> wrote:

                    > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <saultcitysoo@> wrote:
                    >
                    > Some marketing on the part of the producers might help! God alone
                    > knows why people drink the other dreck...
                    >
                    > My dear Sue, our friend Kedge rather fancies Black Seal or Appleton's
                    > when his sojourns in the LCBO have proved fruitless ventures for
                    > Pusser's. Seems Kedge may yet have a bottle of Pusser's stashed away
                    > as he has ofted experienced the aforesaid fruitless, near wetless,
                    > quests in those LCBO's purporting to be "Vintage" providers. He plans
                    > to recce the package stores between Ogdensburg, NY and Marion, MA on
                    > his next foray.
                    >
                    > Michael

                    I have never developed a taste for rum or for the maritime life. Dry
                    land and a single malt suits me fine. Brother Michael can follow in
                    Great Grandad's Royal Navy endeavours while I will follow in the
                    families Gordon Highland Regiment footsteps.
                    I hope all goes well at Fanshawe.
                    Best regards,
                    Bruce Whittaker
                  • Sue
                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 4, 2008
                      Well, we know that Kedge can be quite undiscerning in his tastes upon
                      occasion! :-)
                      But he need not fear, as Blind Pugh found a stash of Pussers whilst
                      renoing the family room. :-O But I will make sure that it is doled out
                      judiciously, not slopped into mugs with no regard for the future!

                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "whittakermp" <whittakermp@...> wrote:

                      > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <saultcitysoo@> wrote:
                      >
                      > Some marketing on the part of the producers might help! God alone
                      > knows why people drink the other dreck...
                      >
                      > My dear Sue, our friend Kedge rather fancies Black Seal or Appleton's
                      > when his sojourns in the LCBO have proved fruitless ventures for
                      > Pusser's. Seems Kedge may yet have a bottle of Pusser's stashed away
                      > as he has ofted experienced the aforesaid fruitless, near wetless,
                      > quests in those LCBO's purporting to be "Vintage" providers. He plans
                      > to recce the package stores between Ogdensburg, NY and Marion, MA on
                      > his next foray.
                      >
                      > Michael

                    • Gord Deans
                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 4, 2008
                        I beg leave to report that his Majesty's forces encountered troops of
                        President Madison this instant near the small village of Fanshawe on
                        the northern branch of the Thames River in Upper Canada and held them
                        in check thanks to the valiant efforts of the Provincial Marine and
                        Royal Navy boats operating on said waterway in the noon battle. A
                        second encounter showed the invader the bravery and resilience of the
                        British redcoats, ably supported by Royal Artillery and Royal Navy gun
                        crews.

                        A total of 8 guns dueled throughout the battle as the British line and
                        skirmishers pushed our Cousin Jonathan back. Evening patrols on the
                        river by H.M. boat Ferret failed to locate the enemy but they are
                        expected to reappear tomorrow.

                        Many tales of daring are at this moment being exchanged over liberal
                        quantities of Pusser's Rum which mysteriously seems to be in abundant
                        supply in the camp not withstanding the earlier reported shortages.

                        Wherever the sun sets and there stands a Royal Navy tar to preserve
                        the empire, there will always be Pusser's Rum.

                        Gord Deans, H.M. Brig Charwell Landing Party.
                      • whittakermp
                        Message 11 of 28 , Oct 5, 2008
                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <saultcitysoo@...> wrote:

                          > Well, we know that Kedge can be quite undiscerning in his tastes upon
                          > occasion! :-)

                          Terri ran a successful recce this weekend. The LCBO in Kemptville is
                          now down to four bottles of Pusser's.

                          Bruce and others who may be interested in sigle malt: Our great
                          grandfather when back from the Ashanti War took some leave on the Isle
                          of Islay. According to his journal, he bought two bottles at a
                          distillery. While enjoying the view from a headland, he killed a snake
                          that crawled from beneath a rock beside him. He put the remains into
                          one of the bottles, yet unopened. I assume as a thrifty highlander he
                          later drank from said bottle, but he left no account in that regard.
                          Certainly a little meat introduced early into the distilling process
                          improves the smoothness of poteen, but that is for the Irish side of
                          the family.

                          Michael
                        • Tom Hurlbut
                          Message 12 of 28 , Oct 6, 2008
                            Mr. Deans,

                            May I ask what part of my opinion you suggest people should disregard, my assessment of the flavour of the rum or that it is truly historical?

                            My seconds will call upon you.

                            "Lt./Major" Tom

                            Message 13 of 28 , Oct 6, 2008
                              Mr. Hurlbut,

                              Your statement on the 3rd, -- Pusser's is perhaps, not the "best" rum
                              I've had. -- is pure heresy and would NEVER pass the lips of a loyal
                              sailor of His Majesty let alone of an officer and a gentlemen of the
                              King. In view of your known predilection for cross-dressing, your
                              aberrant views may be excused, much as we all turn a blind eye to the
                              crazy babblings of our Mad King George.

                              Forget about seconds, sir, as I am already up to my third tankard of
                              this fine Pusser's libation -- before noon none-the-less -- watch the
                              evening news about Black Monday #3 (today) and you WILL understand.

                              Pusser's was the BEST rum that a Royal Navy tar would ever hope to
                              taste, and I dare say probably that an American sailor would ever
                              taste.

                              If you persist in your delusional views, I as the Aggrieved Party will
                              choose a duel of 3-pounders at 25 paces with double loads of
                              cannister. Be warned, I will also have a double load of Pusser's.
                              Pray the steadiest hand prevails.

                              Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

                              Gord Deans, Gunner / Purser, H.M. Brig Charwell Landing Party.

                              P.S. My Acting Captain, Lt. Fisher, has forbidden any duelling with
                              rebels and traitors to the Crown, so we will have to meet at midnight
                              - no lanterns permitted, much as a Saturday night at Fort Erie. I
                              trust that YOU will be suitably garbed in your bright white vest as I
                              will have my regulation dark Navy blue waist-coat on.

                              G O D S A V E T H E K I N G and P U S S E R ' S !

                              Message 14 of 28 , Oct 6, 2008
                                Mr. Deans

                                I take particular exception to your comments but realize that you are "Three sheets to the wind" and so should be excused somewhat.

                                I will, however, correct you on some points:

                                I issued the challenge as "the aggrieved party". You do indeed have choice of weapons. 3 pdrs would be acceptable.

                                Secondly, I'm certain American sailors have tasted Pusser's rum as it is well known that many US citizens were falsely pressed into the RN where, I'm certain, they partook of the foul stuff as the best, indeed, only thing available to ease the pain of their incarceration (with the added danger of drowning!).

                                Finally, I also remind you that, when the two Georges met at midfield for the coin toss, Mr Washington won and His Majesty's forces had to wear red, stand out in the open and fire all at once, while Americans were able to wear dark colors, use available concealment and cover, and were allowed to make aimed shots.

                                I would have my seconds call on your "thirds" but will refrain out of respect for Lt. Fisher.

                                Your Servant, Sir,

                                Lieutenant (N) Thomas Hurlbut

                                PS: Thanks for the rum, Gord. It did indeed warm the innards!

                                Message 15 of 28 , Oct 6, 2008
                                  You are most welcome, sir.

                                  However, I remain flabbergasted and gabberflasted at your obviously
                                  colonial interpretation of our past history.

                                  Our beloved King George may have been wooden-headed but your King
                                  George actually had wooden teeth. How colonial can you get.

                                  Have a good winter. I hear that it is going to snow next weekend up
                                  your way in the north.

[...]

                                  ------------------------------------

                                  War of 1812 Living History:
                                  A wide-ranging information exchange