Re: 1812 Pusser's de-listed by LCBO

  • John Matthew IV
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008
      Larry Lozon wrote:

      > The LCBO is the Liquor Control Board of Ontario and is the body that
      > runs the liquor stores in the Province of Ontario
      >
      > Since it is government regulated, they decide what brands are to be
      > sold at their outlets

      The government owns and operates the LCBO.

      > We in Ontario do not have private owned Liquor stores and the liquor is
      > taxed, supposedly to help defray the cost of medical insurance for the
      > inhabitants of the Province of Ontario.

      I think it is just considered a great source of revenue, not just to defray
      medical costs.

      In addition to taxes there is a markup and several other fees that inflate
      the prices.

      > I hope that answeres most of the questions posted to me on my private
      > inbox. I guess subscribers forget that other than Ontarians are on this
      > Yahoo Group.

      For those who don't live in Ontario, here's a brief addedum:

      In 1985, the Liberals promised beer and wine in corner stores if they were
      elected.

      They were, TWICE!

      In 1995, the Conservatives promised beer and wine in corner stores if they
      were elected.

      They were, TWICE!

      Yet we still don't have beer and wine in corner stores.

      God bless democracy!

      John Matthew IV
    • peter monahan
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008
        In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John Matthew IV" <john.matthew@...>
        wrote:

        In 1985, the Liberals promised beer and wine in corner stores if they
        were elected. They were, TWICE!

        In 1995, the Conservatives promised beer and wine in corner stores if
        they were elected. They were, TWICE!

        Yet we still don't have beer and wine in corner stores. God bless
        democracy!

        John

        A recent study suggests that more Canadians believe in the existance
        of Bigfoot than in the proposition that politicians keep their
        campaign promises!

        "Don't worry Mr. [Hubert] Humphry, all the thinking voters are behind
        you."

        "That's not enough. I need a majority!"
      • Dale Kidd
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
          I decided to go straight to the heart of the matter, and contacted the
          good folks at Pusser's directly. Within 24 hours, I found a reply in my
          inbox. Seems they are aware of the problem, and are already taking
          steps to rectify the situation. They expect to have Pusser's back on
          the shelf in LCBO stores by December. Reading between the lines, the
          tone of the note I got left me with the distinct feeling there is a
          suddenly unemployed sales rep out there somewhere...

          I have fallen back on a backup brand for this weekend. However, Mr.
          Deans, I would be interested in aquiring a bottle of Pusser's from you
          this weekend to see me through the autumn months.

          ~Dale
        • Sue
          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
            Then you didn't have the real thing Vince!
            Some scallywag must have decanted B******'s or somesuch slop into a
            proper Pussers bottle. :-)

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Vince Wilding" <vince@...> wrote:

            > At the culmination of the GT last week (OOPS! is it already 2 weeks
            > ago?) Ship's Company "Spliced the Main Brace" with Pusser's. I am not
            > usually a drinking man, but on this occasion I took a tot. It reminded
            > me of the time I was mowing the lawn and the mower ran out of gas.
            > Rather than drive to the gas station, I took a rubber hose, stuck it in
            > the car gas tank and siphoned out enough to fill the mower's tank.
            > That's where I'd tasted Pusser's before!
            >
            > --
            > Vince Wilding, AKA Honest Jock Matlow
            > Web Page: www.WincingDevil.com
            > MSN: vwilding AOL: WincingDevil Yahoo: Wincing_Devil
            > The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

          • Tom Hurlbut
            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
              Actually, Pusser's is perhaps, not the "best" rum I've had.. So in that regard, I can agree with Vince that its flavour is an "acquired taste"..

              But it is a taste of history, and that is what I find appealing about it.

              "Lt." Tom

              Then you didn't have the real thing Vince!
              Some scallywag must have decanted B******'s or somesuch slop into a
              proper Pussers bottle. :-)

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Vince Wilding" <vince@...> wrote:

              > At the culmination of the GT last week (OOPS! is it already 2 weeks
              > ago?) Ship's Company "Spliced the Main Brace" with Pusser's. I am not
              > usually a drinking man, but on this occasion I took a tot. It reminded
              > me of the time I was mowing the lawn and the mower ran out of gas.
              > Rather than drive to the gas station, I took a rubber hose, stuck it in
              > the car gas tank and siphoned out enough to fill the mower's tank.
              > That's where I'd tasted Pusser's before!
              >
              > --
              > Vince Wilding, AKA Honest Jock Matlow
              > Web Page: www.WincingDevil.com
              > MSN: vwilding AOL: WincingDevil Yahoo: Wincing_Devil
              > The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

            • whittakermp
              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <saultcitysoo@...> wrote:

                Some marketing on the part of the producers might help! God alone
                knows why people drink the other dreck...

                My dear Sue, our friend Kedge rather fancies Black Seal or Appleton's
                when his sojourns in the LCBO have proved fruitless ventures for
                Pusser's. Seems Kedge may yet have a bottle of Pusser's stashed away
                as he has ofted experienced the aforesaid fruitless, near wetless,
                quests in those LCBO's purporting to be "Vintage" providers. He plans
                to recce the package stores between Ogdensburg, NY and Marion, MA on
                his next foray.

                Michael
              • Robert White
                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
                  Pusser's is indeed being produced "by another outfit" using the exact same recipe,  Not only are they using the same recipe they made the same deal with the British Navy when they purchased the rights and a sizeable portion of the profits goes to the British Navy Sailor's Relief Fund as they have since the earliest times.  I have personally met the owner while on Tortola.  Great guy.  They do sell online.    Although I wasn't successful yet in getting us to be an official Pusser's Tot Club we might be able to find a tot or two for those who might chose to visit us when we are in the Navy yard.  Pvt. White, Marine Guard, U.S.S. Constitution, Charlestown, Mass.

                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
                    Mr. Wilding,

                    Shame. Our beloved Horatio is turning in his crypt. You have sullied
                    the image of "Nelson's Blood". All good Royal Navy tars will rise up
                    from the depths and swamp your vessel the next time you set out upon
                    the sea. Surely, there must be an article of war that makes what you
                    sentiments a hanging offence.

                    As you read this, there are a couple dozen Provincial Marine and Royal
                    Navy sailors camped in the freezing rain on the shores of Lake
                    Fanshawe - their only sustenance being bottles of British Navy
                    Pusser's Rum to see them through to the next dawn.

                    The cure for boredom is sheer terror. That is why I am a Royal Navy
                    gunner and still have most of my fingers.

                    Gord Deans, H.M. Brig Charwell Gun Crew.

                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Vince Wilding" <vince@...> wrote:

                    > At the culmination of the GT last week (OOPS! is it already 2 weeks
                    > ago?) Ship's Company "Spliced the Main Brace" with Pusser's. I am
                    not
                    > usually a drinking man, but on this occasion I took a tot. It
                    reminded
                    > me of the time I was mowing the lawn and the mower ran out of gas.
                    > Rather than drive to the gas station, I took a rubber hose, stuck it
                    in
                    > the car gas tank and siphoned out enough to fill the mower's tank.
                    > That's where I'd tasted Pusser's before!
                    >
                    > --
                    > Vince Wilding, AKA Honest Jock Matlow
                    > Web Page: www.WincingDevil.com
                    > MSN: vwilding AOL: WincingDevil Yahoo: Wincing_Devil
                    > The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

                  • Gord Deans
                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
                      I think that we can safely disregard Mr. Hurlbut's opinion as he is
                      often found in the garb of Cousin Jonathan. Who can trust the
                      judgement of a turncoat? You can be sure that he will be grasping his
                      own bottle of British Navy Pusser's Rum this weekend as he freezes on
                      the shores of Lake Fanshawe.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 4, 2008
                        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "whittakermp" <whittakermp@...> wrote:

                        > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <saultcitysoo@> wrote:
                        >
                        > Some marketing on the part of the producers might help! God alone
                        > knows why people drink the other dreck...
                        >
                        > My dear Sue, our friend Kedge rather fancies Black Seal or Appleton's
                        > when his sojourns in the LCBO have proved fruitless ventures for
                        > Pusser's. Seems Kedge may yet have a bottle of Pusser's stashed away
                        > as he has ofted experienced the aforesaid fruitless, near wetless,
                        > quests in those LCBO's purporting to be "Vintage" providers. He plans
                        > to recce the package stores between Ogdensburg, NY and Marion, MA on
                        > his next foray.
                        >
                        > Michael

                        I have never developed a taste for rum or for the maritime life. Dry
                        land and a single malt suits me fine. Brother Michael can follow in
                        Great Grandad's Royal Navy endeavours while I will follow in the
                        families Gordon Highland Regiment footsteps.
                        I hope all goes well at Fanshawe.
                        Best regards,
                        Bruce Whittaker
                      • Sue
                        Message 11 of 28 , Oct 4, 2008
                          Well, we know that Kedge can be quite undiscerning in his tastes upon
                          occasion! :-)
                          But he need not fear, as Blind Pugh found a stash of Pussers whilst
                          renoing the family room. :-O But I will make sure that it is doled out
                          judiciously, not slopped into mugs with no regard for the future!

                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "whittakermp" <whittakermp@...> wrote:

                          > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <saultcitysoo@> wrote:
                          >
                          > Some marketing on the part of the producers might help! God alone
                          > knows why people drink the other dreck...
                          >
                          > My dear Sue, our friend Kedge rather fancies Black Seal or Appleton's
                          > when his sojourns in the LCBO have proved fruitless ventures for
                          > Pusser's. Seems Kedge may yet have a bottle of Pusser's stashed away
                          > as he has ofted experienced the aforesaid fruitless, near wetless,
                          > quests in those LCBO's purporting to be "Vintage" providers. He plans
                          > to recce the package stores between Ogdensburg, NY and Marion, MA on
                          > his next foray.
                          >
                          > Michael

                        • Gord Deans
                          Message 12 of 28 , Oct 4, 2008
                            I beg leave to report that his Majesty's forces encountered troops of
                            President Madison this instant near the small village of Fanshawe on
                            the northern branch of the Thames River in Upper Canada and held them
                            in check thanks to the valiant efforts of the Provincial Marine and
                            Royal Navy boats operating on said waterway in the noon battle. A
                            second encounter showed the invader the bravery and resilience of the
                            British redcoats, ably supported by Royal Artillery and Royal Navy gun
                            crews.

                            A total of 8 guns dueled throughout the battle as the British line and
                            skirmishers pushed our Cousin Jonathan back. Evening patrols on the
                            river by H.M. boat Ferret failed to locate the enemy but they are
                            expected to reappear tomorrow.

                            Many tales of daring are at this moment being exchanged over liberal
                            quantities of Pusser's Rum which mysteriously seems to be in abundant
                            supply in the camp not withstanding the earlier reported shortages.

                            Wherever the sun sets and there stands a Royal Navy tar to preserve
                            the empire, there will always be Pusser's Rum.

                            Gord Deans, H.M. Brig Charwell Landing Party.
                          • whittakermp
                            Message 13 of 28 , Oct 5, 2008
                              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <saultcitysoo@...> wrote:

                              > Well, we know that Kedge can be quite undiscerning in his tastes upon
                              > occasion! :-)

                              Terri ran a successful recce this weekend. The LCBO in Kemptville is
                              now down to four bottles of Pusser's.

                              Bruce and others who may be interested in sigle malt: Our great
                              grandfather when back from the Ashanti War took some leave on the Isle
                              of Islay. According to his journal, he bought two bottles at a
                              distillery. While enjoying the view from a headland, he killed a snake
                              that crawled from beneath a rock beside him. He put the remains into
                              one of the bottles, yet unopened. I assume as a thrifty highlander he
                              later drank from said bottle, but he left no account in that regard.
                              Certainly a little meat introduced early into the distilling process
                              improves the smoothness of poteen, but that is for the Irish side of
                              the family.

                              Michael
                            • Tom Hurlbut
                              Message 14 of 28 , Oct 6, 2008
                                Mr. Deans,

                                May I ask what part of my opinion you suggest people should disregard, my assessment of the flavour of the rum or that it is truly historical?

                                My seconds will call upon you.

                                "Lt./Major" Tom

                                Message 15 of 28 , Oct 6, 2008
                                  Mr. Hurlbut,

                                  Your statement on the 3rd, -- Pusser's is perhaps, not the "best" rum
                                  I've had. -- is pure heresy and would NEVER pass the lips of a loyal
                                  sailor of His Majesty let alone of an officer and a gentlemen of the
                                  King. In view of your known predilection for cross-dressing, your
                                  aberrant views may be excused, much as we all turn a blind eye to the
                                  crazy babblings of our Mad King George.

                                  Forget about seconds, sir, as I am already up to my third tankard of
                                  this fine Pusser's libation -- before noon none-the-less -- watch the
                                  evening news about Black Monday #3 (today) and you WILL understand.

                                  Pusser's was the BEST rum that a Royal Navy tar would ever hope to
                                  taste, and I dare say probably that an American sailor would ever
                                  taste.

                                  If you persist in your delusional views, I as the Aggrieved Party will
                                  choose a duel of 3-pounders at 25 paces with double loads of
                                  cannister. Be warned, I will also have a double load of Pusser's.
                                  Pray the steadiest hand prevails.

                                  Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

                                  Gord Deans, Gunner / Purser, H.M. Brig Charwell Landing Party.

                                  P.S. My Acting Captain, Lt. Fisher, has forbidden any duelling with
                                  rebels and traitors to the Crown, so we will have to meet at midnight
                                  - no lanterns permitted, much as a Saturday night at Fort Erie. I
                                  trust that YOU will be suitably garbed in your bright white vest as I
                                  will have my regulation dark Navy blue waist-coat on.

                                  G O D S A V E T H E K I N G and P U S S E R ' S !

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Oct 6, 2008
                                    Mr. Deans

                                    I take particular exception to your comments but realize that you are "Three sheets to the wind" and so should be excused somewhat.

                                    I will, however, correct you on some points:

                                    I issued the challenge as "the aggrieved party". You do indeed have choice of weapons. 3 pdrs would be acceptable.

                                    Secondly, I'm certain American sailors have tasted Pusser's rum as it is well known that many US citizens were falsely pressed into the RN where, I'm certain, they partook of the foul stuff as the best, indeed, only thing available to ease the pain of their incarceration (with the added danger of drowning!).

                                    Finally, I also remind you that, when the two Georges met at midfield for the coin toss, Mr Washington won and His Majesty's forces had to wear red, stand out in the open and fire all at once, while Americans were able to wear dark colors, use available concealment and cover, and were allowed to make aimed shots.

                                    I would have my seconds call on your "thirds" but will refrain out of respect for Lt. Fisher.

                                    Your Servant, Sir,

                                    Lieutenant (N) Thomas Hurlbut

                                    PS: Thanks for the rum, Gord. It did indeed warm the innards!

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Oct 6, 2008
                                      You are most welcome, sir.

                                      However, I remain flabbergasted and gabberflasted at your obviously
                                      colonial interpretation of our past history.

                                      Our beloved King George may have been wooden-headed but your King
                                      George actually had wooden teeth. How colonial can you get.

                                      Have a good winter. I hear that it is going to snow next weekend up
                                      your way in the north.

[...]

                                      ------------------------------------

                                      War of 1812 Living History:
                                      A wide-ranging information exchange