Pusser's de-listed by LCBO

    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008
      For the benefit of our American Friends and others not of the Provice
      of Ontario

      The LCBO is the Liquor Control Board of Ontario and is the body that
      runs the liquor stores in the Province of Ontario

      Since it is government regulated, they decide what brands are to be
      sold at their outlets

      We in Ontario do not have private owned Liquor stores and the liquor is
      taxed, supposedly to help defray the cost of medical insurance for the
      inhabitants of the Province of Ontario.

      I hope that answeres most of the questions posted to me on my private
      inbox. I guess subscribers forget that other than Ontarians are on this
      Yahoo Group

      Yrs.,
      L2
      "DON'T PISS OFF THE FAIRIES!"
    • John Matthew IV
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008
        Larry Lozon wrote:

        > The LCBO is the Liquor Control Board of Ontario and is the body that
        > runs the liquor stores in the Province of Ontario
        >
        > Since it is government regulated, they decide what brands are to be
        > sold at their outlets

        The government owns and operates the LCBO.

        > We in Ontario do not have private owned Liquor stores and the liquor is
        > taxed, supposedly to help defray the cost of medical insurance for the
        > inhabitants of the Province of Ontario.

        I think it is just considered a great source of revenue, not just to defray
        medical costs.

        In addition to taxes there is a markup and several other fees that inflate
        the prices.

        > I hope that answeres most of the questions posted to me on my private
        > inbox. I guess subscribers forget that other than Ontarians are on this
        > Yahoo Group.

        For those who don't live in Ontario, here's a brief addedum:

        In 1985, the Liberals promised beer and wine in corner stores if they were
        elected.

        They were, TWICE!

        In 1995, the Conservatives promised beer and wine in corner stores if they
        were elected.

        They were, TWICE!

        Yet we still don't have beer and wine in corner stores.

        God bless democracy!

        John Matthew IV
      • peter monahan
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008
          In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John Matthew IV" <john.matthew@...>
          wrote:

          In 1985, the Liberals promised beer and wine in corner stores if they
          were elected. They were, TWICE!

          In 1995, the Conservatives promised beer and wine in corner stores if
          they were elected. They were, TWICE!

          Yet we still don't have beer and wine in corner stores. God bless
          democracy!

          John

          A recent study suggests that more Canadians believe in the existance
          of Bigfoot than in the proposition that politicians keep their
          campaign promises!

          "Don't worry Mr. [Hubert] Humphry, all the thinking voters are behind
          you."

          "That's not enough. I need a majority!"
        • Dale Kidd
          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
            I decided to go straight to the heart of the matter, and contacted the
            good folks at Pusser's directly. Within 24 hours, I found a reply in my
            inbox. Seems they are aware of the problem, and are already taking
            steps to rectify the situation. They expect to have Pusser's back on
            the shelf in LCBO stores by December. Reading between the lines, the
            tone of the note I got left me with the distinct feeling there is a
            suddenly unemployed sales rep out there somewhere...

            I have fallen back on a backup brand for this weekend. However, Mr.
            Deans, I would be interested in aquiring a bottle of Pusser's from you
            this weekend to see me through the autumn months.

            ~Dale
          • Sue
            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
              Then you didn't have the real thing Vince!
              Some scallywag must have decanted B******'s or somesuch slop into a
              proper Pussers bottle. :-)

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Vince Wilding" <vince@...> wrote:

              > At the culmination of the GT last week (OOPS! is it already 2 weeks
              > ago?) Ship's Company "Spliced the Main Brace" with Pusser's. I am not
              > usually a drinking man, but on this occasion I took a tot. It reminded
              > me of the time I was mowing the lawn and the mower ran out of gas.
              > Rather than drive to the gas station, I took a rubber hose, stuck it in
              > the car gas tank and siphoned out enough to fill the mower's tank.
              > That's where I'd tasted Pusser's before!
              >
              > --
              > Vince Wilding, AKA Honest Jock Matlow
              > Web Page: www.WincingDevil.com
              > MSN: vwilding AOL: WincingDevil Yahoo: Wincing_Devil
              > The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

            • Tom Hurlbut
              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
                Actually, Pusser's is perhaps, not the "best" rum I've had.. So in that regard, I can agree with Vince that its flavour is an "acquired taste"..

                But it is a taste of history, and that is what I find appealing about it.

                "Lt." Tom

                Then you didn't have the real thing Vince!
                Some scallywag must have decanted B******'s or somesuch slop into a
                proper Pussers bottle. :-)

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Vince Wilding" <vince@...> wrote:

                > At the culmination of the GT last week (OOPS! is it already 2 weeks
                > ago?) Ship's Company "Spliced the Main Brace" with Pusser's. I am not
                > usually a drinking man, but on this occasion I took a tot. It reminded
                > me of the time I was mowing the lawn and the mower ran out of gas.
                > Rather than drive to the gas station, I took a rubber hose, stuck it in
                > the car gas tank and siphoned out enough to fill the mower's tank.
                > That's where I'd tasted Pusser's before!
                >
                > --
                > Vince Wilding, AKA Honest Jock Matlow
                > Web Page: www.WincingDevil.com
                > MSN: vwilding AOL: WincingDevil Yahoo: Wincing_Devil
                > The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

              • whittakermp
                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <saultcitysoo@...> wrote:

                  Some marketing on the part of the producers might help! God alone
                  knows why people drink the other dreck...

                  My dear Sue, our friend Kedge rather fancies Black Seal or Appleton's
                  when his sojourns in the LCBO have proved fruitless ventures for
                  Pusser's. Seems Kedge may yet have a bottle of Pusser's stashed away
                  as he has ofted experienced the aforesaid fruitless, near wetless,
                  quests in those LCBO's purporting to be "Vintage" providers. He plans
                  to recce the package stores between Ogdensburg, NY and Marion, MA on
                  his next foray.

                  Michael
                • Robert White
                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
                    Pusser's is indeed being produced "by another outfit" using the exact same recipe,  Not only are they using the same recipe they made the same deal with the British Navy when they purchased the rights and a sizeable portion of the profits goes to the British Navy Sailor's Relief Fund as they have since the earliest times.  I have personally met the owner while on Tortola.  Great guy.  They do sell online.    Although I wasn't successful yet in getting us to be an official Pusser's Tot Club we might be able to find a tot or two for those who might chose to visit us when we are in the Navy yard.  Pvt. White, Marine Guard, U.S.S. Constitution, Charlestown, Mass.

                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
                      Mr. Wilding,

                      Shame. Our beloved Horatio is turning in his crypt. You have sullied
                      the image of "Nelson's Blood". All good Royal Navy tars will rise up
                      from the depths and swamp your vessel the next time you set out upon
                      the sea. Surely, there must be an article of war that makes what you
                      sentiments a hanging offence.

                      As you read this, there are a couple dozen Provincial Marine and Royal
                      Navy sailors camped in the freezing rain on the shores of Lake
                      Fanshawe - their only sustenance being bottles of British Navy
                      Pusser's Rum to see them through to the next dawn.

                      The cure for boredom is sheer terror. That is why I am a Royal Navy
                      gunner and still have most of my fingers.

                      Gord Deans, H.M. Brig Charwell Gun Crew.

                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Vince Wilding" <vince@...> wrote:

                      > At the culmination of the GT last week (OOPS! is it already 2 weeks
                      > ago?) Ship's Company "Spliced the Main Brace" with Pusser's. I am
                      not
                      > usually a drinking man, but on this occasion I took a tot. It
                      reminded
                      > me of the time I was mowing the lawn and the mower ran out of gas.
                      > Rather than drive to the gas station, I took a rubber hose, stuck it
                      in
                      > the car gas tank and siphoned out enough to fill the mower's tank.
                      > That's where I'd tasted Pusser's before!
                      >
                      > --
                      > Vince Wilding, AKA Honest Jock Matlow
                      > Web Page: www.WincingDevil.com
                      > MSN: vwilding AOL: WincingDevil Yahoo: Wincing_Devil
                      > The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

                    • Gord Deans
                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
                        I think that we can safely disregard Mr. Hurlbut's opinion as he is
                        often found in the garb of Cousin Jonathan. Who can trust the
                        judgement of a turncoat? You can be sure that he will be grasping his
                        own bottle of British Navy Pusser's Rum this weekend as he freezes on
                        the shores of Lake Fanshawe.

                        Message 11 of 28 , Oct 4, 2008
                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "whittakermp" <whittakermp@...> wrote:

                          > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <saultcitysoo@> wrote:
                          >
                          > Some marketing on the part of the producers might help! God alone
                          > knows why people drink the other dreck...
                          >
                          > My dear Sue, our friend Kedge rather fancies Black Seal or Appleton's
                          > when his sojourns in the LCBO have proved fruitless ventures for
                          > Pusser's. Seems Kedge may yet have a bottle of Pusser's stashed away
                          > as he has ofted experienced the aforesaid fruitless, near wetless,
                          > quests in those LCBO's purporting to be "Vintage" providers. He plans
                          > to recce the package stores between Ogdensburg, NY and Marion, MA on
                          > his next foray.
                          >
                          > Michael

                          I have never developed a taste for rum or for the maritime life. Dry
                          land and a single malt suits me fine. Brother Michael can follow in
                          Great Grandad's Royal Navy endeavours while I will follow in the
                          families Gordon Highland Regiment footsteps.
                          I hope all goes well at Fanshawe.
                          Best regards,
                          Bruce Whittaker
                        • Sue
                          Message 12 of 28 , Oct 4, 2008
                            Well, we know that Kedge can be quite undiscerning in his tastes upon
                            occasion! :-)
                            But he need not fear, as Blind Pugh found a stash of Pussers whilst
                            renoing the family room. :-O But I will make sure that it is doled out
                            judiciously, not slopped into mugs with no regard for the future!

                            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "whittakermp" <whittakermp@...> wrote:

                            > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <saultcitysoo@> wrote:
                            >
                            > Some marketing on the part of the producers might help! God alone
                            > knows why people drink the other dreck...
                            >
                            > My dear Sue, our friend Kedge rather fancies Black Seal or Appleton's
                            > when his sojourns in the LCBO have proved fruitless ventures for
                            > Pusser's. Seems Kedge may yet have a bottle of Pusser's stashed away
                            > as he has ofted experienced the aforesaid fruitless, near wetless,
                            > quests in those LCBO's purporting to be "Vintage" providers. He plans
                            > to recce the package stores between Ogdensburg, NY and Marion, MA on
                            > his next foray.
                            >
                            > Michael

                          • Gord Deans
                            Message 13 of 28 , Oct 4, 2008
                              I beg leave to report that his Majesty's forces encountered troops of
                              President Madison this instant near the small village of Fanshawe on
                              the northern branch of the Thames River in Upper Canada and held them
                              in check thanks to the valiant efforts of the Provincial Marine and
                              Royal Navy boats operating on said waterway in the noon battle. A
                              second encounter showed the invader the bravery and resilience of the
                              British redcoats, ably supported by Royal Artillery and Royal Navy gun
                              crews.

                              A total of 8 guns dueled throughout the battle as the British line and
                              skirmishers pushed our Cousin Jonathan back. Evening patrols on the
                              river by H.M. boat Ferret failed to locate the enemy but they are
                              expected to reappear tomorrow.

                              Many tales of daring are at this moment being exchanged over liberal
                              quantities of Pusser's Rum which mysteriously seems to be in abundant
                              supply in the camp not withstanding the earlier reported shortages.

                              Wherever the sun sets and there stands a Royal Navy tar to preserve
                              the empire, there will always be Pusser's Rum.

                              Gord Deans, H.M. Brig Charwell Landing Party.
                            • whittakermp
                              Message 14 of 28 , Oct 5, 2008
                                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <saultcitysoo@...> wrote:

                                > Well, we know that Kedge can be quite undiscerning in his tastes upon
                                > occasion! :-)

                                Terri ran a successful recce this weekend. The LCBO in Kemptville is
                                now down to four bottles of Pusser's.

                                Bruce and others who may be interested in sigle malt: Our great
                                grandfather when back from the Ashanti War took some leave on the Isle
                                of Islay. According to his journal, he bought two bottles at a
                                distillery. While enjoying the view from a headland, he killed a snake
                                that crawled from beneath a rock beside him. He put the remains into
                                one of the bottles, yet unopened. I assume as a thrifty highlander he
                                later drank from said bottle, but he left no account in that regard.
                                Certainly a little meat introduced early into the distilling process
                                improves the smoothness of poteen, but that is for the Irish side of
                                the family.

                                Michael
                              • Tom Hurlbut
                                Message 15 of 28 , Oct 6, 2008
                                  Mr. Deans,

                                  May I ask what part of my opinion you suggest people should disregard, my assessment of the flavour of the rum or that it is truly historical?

                                  My seconds will call upon you.

                                  "Lt./Major" Tom

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Oct 6, 2008
                                    Mr. Hurlbut,

                                    Your statement on the 3rd, -- Pusser's is perhaps, not the "best" rum
                                    I've had. -- is pure heresy and would NEVER pass the lips of a loyal
                                    sailor of His Majesty let alone of an officer and a gentlemen of the
                                    King. In view of your known predilection for cross-dressing, your
                                    aberrant views may be excused, much as we all turn a blind eye to the
                                    crazy babblings of our Mad King George.

                                    Forget about seconds, sir, as I am already up to my third tankard of
                                    this fine Pusser's libation -- before noon none-the-less -- watch the
                                    evening news about Black Monday #3 (today) and you WILL understand.

                                    Pusser's was the BEST rum that a Royal Navy tar would ever hope to
                                    taste, and I dare say probably that an American sailor would ever
                                    taste.

                                    If you persist in your delusional views, I as the Aggrieved Party will
                                    choose a duel of 3-pounders at 25 paces with double loads of
                                    cannister. Be warned, I will also have a double load of Pusser's.
                                    Pray the steadiest hand prevails.

                                    Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

                                    Gord Deans, Gunner / Purser, H.M. Brig Charwell Landing Party.

                                    P.S. My Acting Captain, Lt. Fisher, has forbidden any duelling with
                                    rebels and traitors to the Crown, so we will have to meet at midnight
                                    - no lanterns permitted, much as a Saturday night at Fort Erie. I
                                    trust that YOU will be suitably garbed in your bright white vest as I
                                    will have my regulation dark Navy blue waist-coat on.

                                    G O D S A V E T H E K I N G and P U S S E R ' S !

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Oct 6, 2008
                                      Mr. Deans

                                      I take particular exception to your comments but realize that you are "Three sheets to the wind" and so should be excused somewhat.

                                      I will, however, correct you on some points:

                                      I issued the challenge as "the aggrieved party". You do indeed have choice of weapons. 3 pdrs would be acceptable.

                                      Secondly, I'm certain American sailors have tasted Pusser's rum as it is well known that many US citizens were falsely pressed into the RN where, I'm certain, they partook of the foul stuff as the best, indeed, only thing available to ease the pain of their incarceration (with the added danger of drowning!).

                                      Finally, I also remind you that, when the two Georges met at midfield for the coin toss, Mr Washington won and His Majesty's forces had to wear red, stand out in the open and fire all at once, while Americans were able to wear dark colors, use available concealment and cover, and were allowed to make aimed shots.

                                      I would have my seconds call on your "thirds" but will refrain out of respect for Lt. Fisher.

                                      Your Servant, Sir,

                                      Lieutenant (N) Thomas Hurlbut

                                      PS: Thanks for the rum, Gord. It did indeed warm the innards!

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Oct 6, 2008
                                        You are most welcome, sir.

                                        However, I remain flabbergasted and gabberflasted at your obviously
                                        colonial interpretation of our past history.

                                        Our beloved King George may have been wooden-headed but your King
                                        George actually had wooden teeth. How colonial can you get.

                                        Have a good winter. I hear that it is going to snow next weekend up
                                        your way in the north.

[...]

                                        ------------------------------------

                                        War of 1812 Living History:
                                        A wide-ranging information exchange