RE: 1812 Pusser's de-listed by LCBO

  • Gord Deans
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008
      This is the last chance to stock up on the de-listed British Navy
      Pusser's Rum (#136754) at the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario).

      There is still some inventory on the shelves in the following cities.

      Brampton - 32 bottles
      Burlington - 4 bottles
      Cambridge - 7 bottles
      Hamilton - 0 bottles
      Kitchener - 7 bottles
      Merrickville - 2 bottles
      Mississauga - 25 bottles
      Ottawa area - 55 bottles
      Toronto area - 52 bottles
      Waterloo - 34 bottles
      Windsor - 22 bottles

      Some small towns might still have a bottle or two.

      Good hunting.
    • Tom Hurlbut
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008
        The Lake Simcoe Squadron (AKA me!) would certainly be interested in a bottle of "Nelson's Blood" and I will be in attendance at Fanshawe.

        Yours, Aye!

        "Lt." Tom

        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008
          Gord Deans wrote:

          > PURSER'S TRICK #1. Attend a local LCBO store and request Pusser's Rum
          > (#136754). They will look for it, tell you they have none and that it
          > has been delisted. DO NOT BELIEVE THEM. Step outside and call
          > another local LCBO store. Tell them that you are calling from the
          > LCBO store that you are at (which is true) and that you have a
          > customer there looking for Pusser's Rum (#136754) (which is also true)
          > and that you are currently out-of-stock (which is true). They will
          > also look for it, also tell you they have none and that it has been
          > delisted. Ask them to check their internal computer system inventory
          > for #136754 for the other local stores in your city. Magically, they
          > will discover at least 1-2 cases left in any decent sized city. If a
          > store still claims they do not have any then tell them exactly the
          > number that they do have and suddenly they will find them.

          The LCBO's website has a great search engine:
          http://www.lcbo.com/main/en.shtml

          Just enter either name or the item # to find the product. Then you are asked
          what store the you want to check.

          Now the quantities listed are not 100% accurate but pretty close. In theory,
          they will transfer product to your local store, but this is less certain to
          happen.

          John Matthew IV
        • Vince Wilding
          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008
            At the culmination of the GT last week (OOPS! is it already 2 weeks
            ago?) Ship's Company "Spliced the Main Brace" with Pusser's. I am not
            usually a drinking man, but on this occasion I took a tot. It reminded
            me of the time I was mowing the lawn and the mower ran out of gas.
            Rather than drive to the gas station, I took a rubber hose, stuck it in
            the car gas tank and siphoned out enough to fill the mower's tank.
            That's where I'd tasted Pusser's before!

            --
            Vince Wilding, AKA Honest Jock Matlow
            Web Page: www.WincingDevil.com

            > PURSER'S TRICK #1. Attend a local LCBO store and request Pusser's Rum
            > (#136754). They will look for it, tell you they have none and that it
            > has been delisted. DO NOT BELIEVE THEM. Step outside and call
            > another local LCBO store. Tell them that you are calling from the
            > LCBO store that you are at (which is true) and that you have a
            > customer there looking for Pusser's Rum (#136754) (which is also true)
            > and that you are currently out-of-stock (which is true). They will
            > also look for it, also tell you they have none and that it has been
            > delisted. Ask them to check their internal computer system inventory
            > for #136754 for the other local stores in your city. Magically, they
            > will discover at least 1-2 cases left in any decent sized city. If a
            > store still claims they do not have any then tell them exactly the
            > number that they do have and suddenly they will find them.

            The LCBO's website has a great search engine:
            http://www.lcbo.com/main/en.shtml

            Just enter either name or the item # to find the product. Then you are
            asked
            what store the you want to check.

            Now the quantities listed are not 100% accurate but pretty close. In
            theory,
            they will transfer product to your local store, but this is less certain
            happen.

            John Matthew IV

            ------------------------------------

            War of 1812 Living History:
            A wide-ranging information exchange
            for all participants and supporters

            Crown Forces Unit Listing:
            http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
            American Forces Unit Listing
            http://usforces1812.tripod.com

            WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008
              For the benefit of our American Friends and others not of the Provice
              of Ontario

              The LCBO is the Liquor Control Board of Ontario and is the body that
              runs the liquor stores in the Province of Ontario

              Since it is government regulated, they decide what brands are to be
              sold at their outlets

              We in Ontario do not have private owned Liquor stores and the liquor is
              taxed, supposedly to help defray the cost of medical insurance for the
              inhabitants of the Province of Ontario.

              I hope that answeres most of the questions posted to me on my private
              inbox. I guess subscribers forget that other than Ontarians are on this
              Yahoo Group

              Yrs.,
              L2
              "DON'T PISS OFF THE FAIRIES!"
            • John Matthew IV
              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008
                Larry Lozon wrote:

                > The LCBO is the Liquor Control Board of Ontario and is the body that
                > runs the liquor stores in the Province of Ontario
                >
                > Since it is government regulated, they decide what brands are to be
                > sold at their outlets

                The government owns and operates the LCBO.

                > We in Ontario do not have private owned Liquor stores and the liquor is
                > taxed, supposedly to help defray the cost of medical insurance for the
                > inhabitants of the Province of Ontario.

                I think it is just considered a great source of revenue, not just to defray
                medical costs.

                In addition to taxes there is a markup and several other fees that inflate
                the prices.

                > I hope that answeres most of the questions posted to me on my private
                > inbox. I guess subscribers forget that other than Ontarians are on this
                > Yahoo Group.

                For those who don't live in Ontario, here's a brief addedum:

                In 1985, the Liberals promised beer and wine in corner stores if they were
                elected.

                They were, TWICE!

                In 1995, the Conservatives promised beer and wine in corner stores if they
                were elected.

                They were, TWICE!

                Yet we still don't have beer and wine in corner stores.

                God bless democracy!

                John Matthew IV
              • peter monahan
                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008
                  In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John Matthew IV" <john.matthew@...>
                  wrote:

                  In 1985, the Liberals promised beer and wine in corner stores if they
                  were elected. They were, TWICE!

                  In 1995, the Conservatives promised beer and wine in corner stores if
                  they were elected. They were, TWICE!

                  Yet we still don't have beer and wine in corner stores. God bless
                  democracy!

                  John

                  A recent study suggests that more Canadians believe in the existance
                  of Bigfoot than in the proposition that politicians keep their
                  campaign promises!

                  "Don't worry Mr. [Hubert] Humphry, all the thinking voters are behind
                  you."

                  "That's not enough. I need a majority!"
                • Dale Kidd
                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
                    I decided to go straight to the heart of the matter, and contacted the
                    good folks at Pusser's directly. Within 24 hours, I found a reply in my
                    inbox. Seems they are aware of the problem, and are already taking
                    steps to rectify the situation. They expect to have Pusser's back on
                    the shelf in LCBO stores by December. Reading between the lines, the
                    tone of the note I got left me with the distinct feeling there is a
                    suddenly unemployed sales rep out there somewhere...

                    I have fallen back on a backup brand for this weekend. However, Mr.
                    Deans, I would be interested in aquiring a bottle of Pusser's from you
                    this weekend to see me through the autumn months.

                    ~Dale
                  • Sue
                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
                      Then you didn't have the real thing Vince!
                      Some scallywag must have decanted B******'s or somesuch slop into a
                      proper Pussers bottle. :-)

                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
                        Actually, Pusser's is perhaps, not the "best" rum I've had.. So in that regard, I can agree with Vince that its flavour is an "acquired taste"..

                        But it is a taste of history, and that is what I find appealing about it.

                        "Lt." Tom

                        Then you didn't have the real thing Vince!
                        Some scallywag must have decanted B******'s or somesuch slop into a
                        proper Pussers bottle. :-)

                        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Vince Wilding" <vince@...> wrote:

                        > At the culmination of the GT last week (OOPS! is it already 2 weeks
                        > ago?) Ship's Company "Spliced the Main Brace" with Pusser's. I am not
                        > usually a drinking man, but on this occasion I took a tot. It reminded
                        > me of the time I was mowing the lawn and the mower ran out of gas.
                        > Rather than drive to the gas station, I took a rubber hose, stuck it in
                        > the car gas tank and siphoned out enough to fill the mower's tank.
                        > That's where I'd tasted Pusser's before!
                        >
                        > --
                        > Vince Wilding, AKA Honest Jock Matlow
                        > Web Page: www.WincingDevil.com
                        > MSN: vwilding AOL: WincingDevil Yahoo: Wincing_Devil
                        > The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

                      • whittakermp
                        Message 11 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <saultcitysoo@...> wrote:

                          Some marketing on the part of the producers might help! God alone
                          knows why people drink the other dreck...

                          My dear Sue, our friend Kedge rather fancies Black Seal or Appleton's
                          when his sojourns in the LCBO have proved fruitless ventures for
                          Pusser's. Seems Kedge may yet have a bottle of Pusser's stashed away
                          as he has ofted experienced the aforesaid fruitless, near wetless,
                          quests in those LCBO's purporting to be "Vintage" providers. He plans
                          to recce the package stores between Ogdensburg, NY and Marion, MA on
                          his next foray.

                          Michael
                        • Robert White
                          Message 12 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
                            Pusser's is indeed being produced "by another outfit" using the exact same recipe,  Not only are they using the same recipe they made the same deal with the British Navy when they purchased the rights and a sizeable portion of the profits goes to the British Navy Sailor's Relief Fund as they have since the earliest times.  I have personally met the owner while on Tortola.  Great guy.  They do sell online.    Although I wasn't successful yet in getting us to be an official Pusser's Tot Club we might be able to find a tot or two for those who might chose to visit us when we are in the Navy yard.  Pvt. White, Marine Guard, U.S.S. Constitution, Charlestown, Mass.

                            Message 13 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
                              Mr. Wilding,

                              Shame. Our beloved Horatio is turning in his crypt. You have sullied
                              the image of "Nelson's Blood". All good Royal Navy tars will rise up
                              from the depths and swamp your vessel the next time you set out upon
                              the sea. Surely, there must be an article of war that makes what you
                              sentiments a hanging offence.

                              As you read this, there are a couple dozen Provincial Marine and Royal
                              Navy sailors camped in the freezing rain on the shores of Lake
                              Fanshawe - their only sustenance being bottles of British Navy
                              Pusser's Rum to see them through to the next dawn.

                              The cure for boredom is sheer terror. That is why I am a Royal Navy
                              gunner and still have most of my fingers.

                              Gord Deans, H.M. Brig Charwell Gun Crew.

                              Message 14 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
                                I think that we can safely disregard Mr. Hurlbut's opinion as he is
                                often found in the garb of Cousin Jonathan. Who can trust the
                                judgement of a turncoat? You can be sure that he will be grasping his
                                own bottle of British Navy Pusser's Rum this weekend as he freezes on
                                the shores of Lake Fanshawe.

                                Message 15 of 28 , Oct 4, 2008
                                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "whittakermp" <whittakermp@...> wrote:

                                  > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <saultcitysoo@> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > Some marketing on the part of the producers might help! God alone
                                  > knows why people drink the other dreck...
                                  >
                                  > My dear Sue, our friend Kedge rather fancies Black Seal or Appleton's
                                  > when his sojourns in the LCBO have proved fruitless ventures for
                                  > Pusser's. Seems Kedge may yet have a bottle of Pusser's stashed away
                                  > as he has ofted experienced the aforesaid fruitless, near wetless,
                                  > quests in those LCBO's purporting to be "Vintage" providers. He plans
                                  > to recce the package stores between Ogdensburg, NY and Marion, MA on
                                  > his next foray.
                                  >
                                  > Michael

                                  I have never developed a taste for rum or for the maritime life. Dry
                                  land and a single malt suits me fine. Brother Michael can follow in
                                  Great Grandad's Royal Navy endeavours while I will follow in the
                                  families Gordon Highland Regiment footsteps.
                                  I hope all goes well at Fanshawe.
                                  Best regards,
                                  Bruce Whittaker
                                • Sue
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Oct 4, 2008
                                    Well, we know that Kedge can be quite undiscerning in his tastes upon
                                    occasion! :-)
                                    But he need not fear, as Blind Pugh found a stash of Pussers whilst
                                    renoing the family room. :-O But I will make sure that it is doled out
                                    judiciously, not slopped into mugs with no regard for the future!

                                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "whittakermp" <whittakermp@...> wrote:

                                    > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <saultcitysoo@> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > Some marketing on the part of the producers might help! God alone
                                    > knows why people drink the other dreck...
                                    >
                                    > My dear Sue, our friend Kedge rather fancies Black Seal or Appleton's
                                    > when his sojourns in the LCBO have proved fruitless ventures for
                                    > Pusser's. Seems Kedge may yet have a bottle of Pusser's stashed away
                                    > as he has ofted experienced the aforesaid fruitless, near wetless,
                                    > quests in those LCBO's purporting to be "Vintage" providers. He plans
                                    > to recce the package stores between Ogdensburg, NY and Marion, MA on
                                    > his next foray.
                                    >
                                    > Michael

                                  • Gord Deans
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Oct 4, 2008
                                      I beg leave to report that his Majesty's forces encountered troops of
                                      President Madison this instant near the small village of Fanshawe on
                                      the northern branch of the Thames River in Upper Canada and held them
                                      in check thanks to the valiant efforts of the Provincial Marine and
                                      Royal Navy boats operating on said waterway in the noon battle. A
                                      second encounter showed the invader the bravery and resilience of the
                                      British redcoats, ably supported by Royal Artillery and Royal Navy gun
                                      crews.

                                      A total of 8 guns dueled throughout the battle as the British line and
                                      skirmishers pushed our Cousin Jonathan back. Evening patrols on the
                                      river by H.M. boat Ferret failed to locate the enemy but they are
                                      expected to reappear tomorrow.

                                      Many tales of daring are at this moment being exchanged over liberal
                                      quantities of Pusser's Rum which mysteriously seems to be in abundant
                                      supply in the camp not withstanding the earlier reported shortages.

                                      Wherever the sun sets and there stands a Royal Navy tar to preserve
                                      the empire, there will always be Pusser's Rum.

                                      Gord Deans, H.M. Brig Charwell Landing Party.
                                    • whittakermp
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Oct 5, 2008
                                        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <saultcitysoo@...> wrote:

                                        > Well, we know that Kedge can be quite undiscerning in his tastes upon
                                        > occasion! :-)

                                        Terri ran a successful recce this weekend. The LCBO in Kemptville is
                                        now down to four bottles of Pusser's.

                                        Bruce and others who may be interested in sigle malt: Our great
                                        grandfather when back from the Ashanti War took some leave on the Isle
                                        of Islay. According to his journal, he bought two bottles at a
                                        distillery. While enjoying the view from a headland, he killed a snake
                                        that crawled from beneath a rock beside him. He put the remains into
                                        one of the bottles, yet unopened. I assume as a thrifty highlander he
                                        later drank from said bottle, but he left no account in that regard.
                                        Certainly a little meat introduced early into the distilling process
                                        improves the smoothness of poteen, but that is for the Irish side of
                                        the family.

                                        Michael
                                      • Tom Hurlbut
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Oct 6, 2008
                                          Mr. Deans,

                                          May I ask what part of my opinion you suggest people should disregard, my assessment of the flavour of the rum or that it is truly historical?

                                          My seconds will call upon you.

                                          "Lt./Major" Tom

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Oct 6, 2008
                                            Mr. Hurlbut,

                                            Your statement on the 3rd, -- Pusser's is perhaps, not the "best" rum
                                            I've had. -- is pure heresy and would NEVER pass the lips of a loyal
                                            sailor of His Majesty let alone of an officer and a gentlemen of the
                                            King. In view of your known predilection for cross-dressing, your
                                            aberrant views may be excused, much as we all turn a blind eye to the
                                            crazy babblings of our Mad King George.

                                            Forget about seconds, sir, as I am already up to my third tankard of
                                            this fine Pusser's libation -- before noon none-the-less -- watch the
                                            evening news about Black Monday #3 (today) and you WILL understand.

                                            Pusser's was the BEST rum that a Royal Navy tar would ever hope to
                                            taste, and I dare say probably that an American sailor would ever
                                            taste.

                                            If you persist in your delusional views, I as the Aggrieved Party will
                                            choose a duel of 3-pounders at 25 paces with double loads of
                                            cannister. Be warned, I will also have a double load of Pusser's.
                                            Pray the steadiest hand prevails.

                                            Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

                                            Gord Deans, Gunner / Purser, H.M. Brig Charwell Landing Party.

                                            P.S. My Acting Captain, Lt. Fisher, has forbidden any duelling with
                                            rebels and traitors to the Crown, so we will have to meet at midnight
                                            - no lanterns permitted, much as a Saturday night at Fort Erie. I
                                            trust that YOU will be suitably garbed in your bright white vest as I
                                            will have my regulation dark Navy blue waist-coat on.

                                            G O D S A V E T H E K I N G and P U S S E R ' S !

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Oct 6, 2008
                                              Mr. Deans

                                              I take particular exception to your comments but realize that you are "Three sheets to the wind" and so should be excused somewhat.

                                              I will, however, correct you on some points:

                                              I issued the challenge as "the aggrieved party". You do indeed have choice of weapons. 3 pdrs would be acceptable.

                                              Secondly, I'm certain American sailors have tasted Pusser's rum as it is well known that many US citizens were falsely pressed into the RN where, I'm certain, they partook of the foul stuff as the best, indeed, only thing available to ease the pain of their incarceration (with the added danger of drowning!).

                                              Finally, I also remind you that, when the two Georges met at midfield for the coin toss, Mr Washington won and His Majesty's forces had to wear red, stand out in the open and fire all at once, while Americans were able to wear dark colors, use available concealment and cover, and were allowed to make aimed shots.

                                              I would have my seconds call on your "thirds" but will refrain out of respect for Lt. Fisher.

                                              Your Servant, Sir,

                                              Lieutenant (N) Thomas Hurlbut

                                              PS: Thanks for the rum, Gord. It did indeed warm the innards!

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Oct 6, 2008
                                                You are most welcome, sir.

                                                However, I remain flabbergasted and gabberflasted at your obviously
                                                colonial interpretation of our past history.

                                                Our beloved King George may have been wooden-headed but your King
                                                George actually had wooden teeth. How colonial can you get.

                                                Have a good winter. I hear that it is going to snow next weekend up
                                                your way in the north.

[...]

                                                http://royal.scots.tripod.com/warof1812eventslistYahoo! Groups
                                                Links