Re: Pusser's de-listed by LCBO

  • Sue
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008
      They've done this before!
      It's probably because of slow sales. The first time this happened, it
      was supposedly because the company was sold. It is my understanding
      that it is being produced by another outfit using the same receipt.

      Some marketing on the part of the producers might help! God alone
      knows why people drink the other dreck.

      I agree that protesting the move might help.

      Thanks for the heads up! I think those of us going to Halifax next
      summer should make sure we are well stocked before hand!

      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008
        . . . or you can go to Mississinew (Marion IN) next week and buy a
        bottle or two of Pusser's Rum at half the price the LCBO sells it for

        Seems the liquor store in Marion sells cheaper thanthe Duty Free

        Just a thot

        Yrs.,
        L2

        --- "Dale Kidd" wrote:

[...]

      • Gord Deans
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008
          This is the last chance to stock up on the de-listed British Navy
          Pusser's Rum (#136754) at the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario).

          There is still some inventory on the shelves in the following cities.

          Brampton - 32 bottles
          Burlington - 4 bottles
          Cambridge - 7 bottles
          Hamilton - 0 bottles
          Kitchener - 7 bottles
          Merrickville - 2 bottles
          Mississauga - 25 bottles
          Ottawa area - 55 bottles
          Toronto area - 52 bottles
          Waterloo - 34 bottles
          Windsor - 22 bottles

          Some small towns might still have a bottle or two.

          Good hunting.
        • Tom Hurlbut
          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008
            The Lake Simcoe Squadron (AKA me!) would certainly be interested in a bottle of "Nelson's Blood" and I will be in attendance at Fanshawe.

            Yours, Aye!

            "Lt." Tom

            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008
              Gord Deans wrote:

              > PURSER'S TRICK #1. Attend a local LCBO store and request Pusser's Rum
              > (#136754). They will look for it, tell you they have none and that it
              > has been delisted. DO NOT BELIEVE THEM. Step outside and call
              > another local LCBO store. Tell them that you are calling from the
              > LCBO store that you are at (which is true) and that you have a
              > customer there looking for Pusser's Rum (#136754) (which is also true)
              > and that you are currently out-of-stock (which is true). They will
              > also look for it, also tell you they have none and that it has been
              > delisted. Ask them to check their internal computer system inventory
              > for #136754 for the other local stores in your city. Magically, they
              > will discover at least 1-2 cases left in any decent sized city. If a
              > store still claims they do not have any then tell them exactly the
              > number that they do have and suddenly they will find them.

              The LCBO's website has a great search engine:
              http://www.lcbo.com/main/en.shtml

              Just enter either name or the item # to find the product. Then you are asked
              what store the you want to check.

              Now the quantities listed are not 100% accurate but pretty close. In theory,
              they will transfer product to your local store, but this is less certain to
              happen.

              John Matthew IV
            • Vince Wilding
              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008
                At the culmination of the GT last week (OOPS! is it already 2 weeks
                ago?) Ship's Company "Spliced the Main Brace" with Pusser's. I am not
                usually a drinking man, but on this occasion I took a tot. It reminded
                me of the time I was mowing the lawn and the mower ran out of gas.
                Rather than drive to the gas station, I took a rubber hose, stuck it in
                the car gas tank and siphoned out enough to fill the mower's tank.
                That's where I'd tasted Pusser's before!

                --
                Vince Wilding, AKA Honest Jock Matlow
                Web Page: www.WincingDevil.com

                > PURSER'S TRICK #1. Attend a local LCBO store and request Pusser's Rum
                > (#136754). They will look for it, tell you they have none and that it
                > has been delisted. DO NOT BELIEVE THEM. Step outside and call
                > another local LCBO store. Tell them that you are calling from the
                > LCBO store that you are at (which is true) and that you have a
                > customer there looking for Pusser's Rum (#136754) (which is also true)
                > and that you are currently out-of-stock (which is true). They will
                > also look for it, also tell you they have none and that it has been
                > delisted. Ask them to check their internal computer system inventory
                > for #136754 for the other local stores in your city. Magically, they
                > will discover at least 1-2 cases left in any decent sized city. If a
                > store still claims they do not have any then tell them exactly the
                > number that they do have and suddenly they will find them.

                The LCBO's website has a great search engine:
                http://www.lcbo.com/main/en.shtml

                Just enter either name or the item # to find the product. Then you are
                asked
                what store the you want to check.

                Now the quantities listed are not 100% accurate but pretty close. In
                theory,
                they will transfer product to your local store, but this is less certain
                happen.

                John Matthew IV

                ------------------------------------

                War of 1812 Living History:
                A wide-ranging information exchange
                for all participants and supporters

                Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
                American Forces Unit Listing
                http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008
                  For the benefit of our American Friends and others not of the Provice
                  of Ontario

                  The LCBO is the Liquor Control Board of Ontario and is the body that
                  runs the liquor stores in the Province of Ontario

                  Since it is government regulated, they decide what brands are to be
                  sold at their outlets

                  We in Ontario do not have private owned Liquor stores and the liquor is
                  taxed, supposedly to help defray the cost of medical insurance for the
                  inhabitants of the Province of Ontario.

                  I hope that answeres most of the questions posted to me on my private
                  inbox. I guess subscribers forget that other than Ontarians are on this
                  Yahoo Group

                  Yrs.,
                  L2
                  "DON'T PISS OFF THE FAIRIES!"
                • John Matthew IV
                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008
                    Larry Lozon wrote:

                    > The LCBO is the Liquor Control Board of Ontario and is the body that
                    > runs the liquor stores in the Province of Ontario
                    >
                    > Since it is government regulated, they decide what brands are to be
                    > sold at their outlets

                    The government owns and operates the LCBO.

                    > We in Ontario do not have private owned Liquor stores and the liquor is
                    > taxed, supposedly to help defray the cost of medical insurance for the
                    > inhabitants of the Province of Ontario.

                    I think it is just considered a great source of revenue, not just to defray
                    medical costs.

                    In addition to taxes there is a markup and several other fees that inflate
                    the prices.

                    > I hope that answeres most of the questions posted to me on my private
                    > inbox. I guess subscribers forget that other than Ontarians are on this
                    > Yahoo Group.

                    For those who don't live in Ontario, here's a brief addedum:

                    In 1985, the Liberals promised beer and wine in corner stores if they were
                    elected.

                    They were, TWICE!

                    In 1995, the Conservatives promised beer and wine in corner stores if they
                    were elected.

                    They were, TWICE!

                    Yet we still don't have beer and wine in corner stores.

                    God bless democracy!

                    John Matthew IV
                  • peter monahan
                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008
                      In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John Matthew IV" <john.matthew@...>
                      wrote:

                      In 1985, the Liberals promised beer and wine in corner stores if they
                      were elected. They were, TWICE!

                      In 1995, the Conservatives promised beer and wine in corner stores if
                      they were elected. They were, TWICE!

                      Yet we still don't have beer and wine in corner stores. God bless
                      democracy!

                      John

                      A recent study suggests that more Canadians believe in the existance
                      of Bigfoot than in the proposition that politicians keep their
                      campaign promises!

                      "Don't worry Mr. [Hubert] Humphry, all the thinking voters are behind
                      you."

                      "That's not enough. I need a majority!"
                    • Dale Kidd
                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
                        I decided to go straight to the heart of the matter, and contacted the
                        good folks at Pusser's directly. Within 24 hours, I found a reply in my
                        inbox. Seems they are aware of the problem, and are already taking
                        steps to rectify the situation. They expect to have Pusser's back on
                        the shelf in LCBO stores by December. Reading between the lines, the
                        tone of the note I got left me with the distinct feeling there is a
                        suddenly unemployed sales rep out there somewhere...

                        I have fallen back on a backup brand for this weekend. However, Mr.
                        Deans, I would be interested in aquiring a bottle of Pusser's from you
                        this weekend to see me through the autumn months.

                        ~Dale
                      • Sue
                        Message 11 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
                          Then you didn't have the real thing Vince!
                          Some scallywag must have decanted B******'s or somesuch slop into a
                          proper Pussers bottle. :-)

                          Message 12 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
                            Actually, Pusser's is perhaps, not the "best" rum I've had.. So in that regard, I can agree with Vince that its flavour is an "acquired taste"..

                            But it is a taste of history, and that is what I find appealing about it.

                            "Lt." Tom

                            Then you didn't have the real thing Vince!
                            Some scallywag must have decanted B******'s or somesuch slop into a
                            proper Pussers bottle. :-)

                            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Vince Wilding" <vince@...> wrote:

                            > At the culmination of the GT last week (OOPS! is it already 2 weeks
                            > ago?) Ship's Company "Spliced the Main Brace" with Pusser's. I am not
                            > usually a drinking man, but on this occasion I took a tot. It reminded
                            > me of the time I was mowing the lawn and the mower ran out of gas.
                            > Rather than drive to the gas station, I took a rubber hose, stuck it in
                            > the car gas tank and siphoned out enough to fill the mower's tank.
                            > That's where I'd tasted Pusser's before!
                            >
                            > --
                            > Vince Wilding, AKA Honest Jock Matlow
                            > Web Page: www.WincingDevil.com
                            > MSN: vwilding AOL: WincingDevil Yahoo: Wincing_Devil
                            > The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

                          • whittakermp
                            Message 13 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
                              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <saultcitysoo@...> wrote:

                              Some marketing on the part of the producers might help! God alone
                              knows why people drink the other dreck...

                              My dear Sue, our friend Kedge rather fancies Black Seal or Appleton's
                              when his sojourns in the LCBO have proved fruitless ventures for
                              Pusser's. Seems Kedge may yet have a bottle of Pusser's stashed away
                              as he has ofted experienced the aforesaid fruitless, near wetless,
                              quests in those LCBO's purporting to be "Vintage" providers. He plans
                              to recce the package stores between Ogdensburg, NY and Marion, MA on
                              his next foray.

                              Michael
                            • Robert White
                              Message 14 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
                                Pusser's is indeed being produced "by another outfit" using the exact same recipe,  Not only are they using the same recipe they made the same deal with the British Navy when they purchased the rights and a sizeable portion of the profits goes to the British Navy Sailor's Relief Fund as they have since the earliest times.  I have personally met the owner while on Tortola.  Great guy.  They do sell online.    Although I wasn't successful yet in getting us to be an official Pusser's Tot Club we might be able to find a tot or two for those who might chose to visit us when we are in the Navy yard.  Pvt. White, Marine Guard, U.S.S. Constitution, Charlestown, Mass.

                                It's probably because of slow sales. The first time this happened, it
                                was supposedly because the company was sold. It is my understanding
                                that it is being produced by another outfit using the same receipt.

                                Some marketing on the part of the producers might help! God alone
                                knows why people drink the other dreck.

                                I agree that protesting the move might help.

                                Thanks for the heads up! I think those of us going to Halifax next
                                summer should make sure we are well stocked before hand!

                                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogrou ps.com, "Dale Kidd" <ucpm_gunner@ ...> wrote:

                                > Here is an interesting little tidbit for all Ontario-based list
                                > members with an appreciation for good booze. (And I know that is a
                                > long list on this board!)
                                >
                                > I was mortified to learn today that the Liquour Control Board of
                                > Ontario has de-listed Pusser's Navy Rum. This effectively ensures
                                > that the traditional rum of the Royal Navy can no longer be found on
                                > the shelves of ANY liquour store in the province. (Ah, the wonders of
                                > government-controll ed distribution. ..) They tell me that non-stocked
                                > items may still be ordered in, but only if purchased by the case. I
                                > dunno about anyone else, but I have neither the means nor the
                                > inclination to buy rum a case at a time!
                                >
                                > It might help influence matters if the LCBO were to receive a number
                                > of complaints about the fact that Pusser's is unavailable, so I would
                                > ask anyone so inclined to drop them a line requesting it be restored
                                > as a stock item, even if only for limited distribution.
                                >
                                > In the meantime, if someone coming up to Fanshawe this weekend from
                                > the U.S. can lay their hands on a couple of bottles of Pusser's Navy
                                > Rum and bring them across, I would be happy to purchase them from
                                > you. Just drop me an email before Friday morning to make arrangements
                                > so I can have cash on hand.
                                >
                                > Dale Kidd

                              • Gord Deans
                                Message 15 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
                                  Mr. Wilding,

                                  Shame. Our beloved Horatio is turning in his crypt. You have sullied
                                  the image of "Nelson's Blood". All good Royal Navy tars will rise up
                                  from the depths and swamp your vessel the next time you set out upon
                                  the sea. Surely, there must be an article of war that makes what you
                                  sentiments a hanging offence.

                                  As you read this, there are a couple dozen Provincial Marine and Royal
                                  Navy sailors camped in the freezing rain on the shores of Lake
                                  Fanshawe - their only sustenance being bottles of British Navy
                                  Pusser's Rum to see them through to the next dawn.

                                  The cure for boredom is sheer terror. That is why I am a Royal Navy
                                  gunner and still have most of my fingers.

                                  Gord Deans, H.M. Brig Charwell Gun Crew.

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
                                    I think that we can safely disregard Mr. Hurlbut's opinion as he is
                                    often found in the garb of Cousin Jonathan. Who can trust the
                                    judgement of a turncoat? You can be sure that he will be grasping his
                                    own bottle of British Navy Pusser's Rum this weekend as he freezes on
                                    the shores of Lake Fanshawe.

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Oct 4, 2008
                                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "whittakermp" <whittakermp@...> wrote:

                                      > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <saultcitysoo@> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > Some marketing on the part of the producers might help! God alone
                                      > knows why people drink the other dreck...
                                      >
                                      > My dear Sue, our friend Kedge rather fancies Black Seal or Appleton's
                                      > when his sojourns in the LCBO have proved fruitless ventures for
                                      > Pusser's. Seems Kedge may yet have a bottle of Pusser's stashed away
                                      > as he has ofted experienced the aforesaid fruitless, near wetless,
                                      > quests in those LCBO's purporting to be "Vintage" providers. He plans
                                      > to recce the package stores between Ogdensburg, NY and Marion, MA on
                                      > his next foray.
                                      >
                                      > Michael

                                      I have never developed a taste for rum or for the maritime life. Dry
                                      land and a single malt suits me fine. Brother Michael can follow in
                                      Great Grandad's Royal Navy endeavours while I will follow in the
                                      families Gordon Highland Regiment footsteps.
                                      I hope all goes well at Fanshawe.
                                      Best regards,
                                      Bruce Whittaker
                                    • Sue
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Oct 4, 2008
                                        Well, we know that Kedge can be quite undiscerning in his tastes upon
                                        occasion! :-)
                                        But he need not fear, as Blind Pugh found a stash of Pussers whilst
                                        renoing the family room. :-O But I will make sure that it is doled out
                                        judiciously, not slopped into mugs with no regard for the future!

                                        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "whittakermp" <whittakermp@...> wrote:

                                        > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <saultcitysoo@> wrote:
                                        >
                                        > Some marketing on the part of the producers might help! God alone
                                        > knows why people drink the other dreck...
                                        >
                                        > My dear Sue, our friend Kedge rather fancies Black Seal or Appleton's
                                        > when his sojourns in the LCBO have proved fruitless ventures for
                                        > Pusser's. Seems Kedge may yet have a bottle of Pusser's stashed away
                                        > as he has ofted experienced the aforesaid fruitless, near wetless,
                                        > quests in those LCBO's purporting to be "Vintage" providers. He plans
                                        > to recce the package stores between Ogdensburg, NY and Marion, MA on
                                        > his next foray.
                                        >
                                        > Michael

                                      • Gord Deans
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Oct 4, 2008
                                          I beg leave to report that his Majesty's forces encountered troops of
                                          President Madison this instant near the small village of Fanshawe on
                                          the northern branch of the Thames River in Upper Canada and held them
                                          in check thanks to the valiant efforts of the Provincial Marine and
                                          Royal Navy boats operating on said waterway in the noon battle. A
                                          second encounter showed the invader the bravery and resilience of the
                                          British redcoats, ably supported by Royal Artillery and Royal Navy gun
                                          crews.

                                          A total of 8 guns dueled throughout the battle as the British line and
                                          skirmishers pushed our Cousin Jonathan back. Evening patrols on the
                                          river by H.M. boat Ferret failed to locate the enemy but they are
                                          expected to reappear tomorrow.

                                          Many tales of daring are at this moment being exchanged over liberal
                                          quantities of Pusser's Rum which mysteriously seems to be in abundant
                                          supply in the camp not withstanding the earlier reported shortages.

                                          Wherever the sun sets and there stands a Royal Navy tar to preserve
                                          the empire, there will always be Pusser's Rum.

                                          Gord Deans, H.M. Brig Charwell Landing Party.
                                        • whittakermp
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Oct 5, 2008
                                            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <saultcitysoo@...> wrote:

                                            > Well, we know that Kedge can be quite undiscerning in his tastes upon
                                            > occasion! :-)

                                            Terri ran a successful recce this weekend. The LCBO in Kemptville is
                                            now down to four bottles of Pusser's.

                                            Bruce and others who may be interested in sigle malt: Our great
                                            grandfather when back from the Ashanti War took some leave on the Isle
                                            of Islay. According to his journal, he bought two bottles at a
                                            distillery. While enjoying the view from a headland, he killed a snake
                                            that crawled from beneath a rock beside him. He put the remains into
                                            one of the bottles, yet unopened. I assume as a thrifty highlander he
                                            later drank from said bottle, but he left no account in that regard.
                                            Certainly a little meat introduced early into the distilling process
                                            improves the smoothness of poteen, but that is for the Irish side of
                                            the family.

                                            Michael
                                          • Tom Hurlbut
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Oct 6, 2008
                                              Mr. Deans,

                                              May I ask what part of my opinion you suggest people should disregard, my assessment of the flavour of the rum or that it is truly historical?

                                              My seconds will call upon you.

                                              "Lt./Major" Tom

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Oct 6, 2008
                                                Mr. Hurlbut,

                                                Your statement on the 3rd, -- Pusser's is perhaps, not the "best" rum
                                                I've had. -- is pure heresy and would NEVER pass the lips of a loyal
                                                sailor of His Majesty let alone of an officer and a gentlemen of the
                                                King. In view of your known predilection for cross-dressing, your
                                                aberrant views may be excused, much as we all turn a blind eye to the
                                                crazy babblings of our Mad King George.

                                                Forget about seconds, sir, as I am already up to my third tankard of
                                                this fine Pusser's libation -- before noon none-the-less -- watch the
                                                evening news about Black Monday #3 (today) and you WILL understand.

                                                Pusser's was the BEST rum that a Royal Navy tar would ever hope to
                                                taste, and I dare say probably that an American sailor would ever
                                                taste.

                                                If you persist in your delusional views, I as the Aggrieved Party will
                                                choose a duel of 3-pounders at 25 paces with double loads of
                                                cannister. Be warned, I will also have a double load of Pusser's.
                                                Pray the steadiest hand prevails.

                                                Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

                                                Gord Deans, Gunner / Purser, H.M. Brig Charwell Landing Party.

                                                P.S. My Acting Captain, Lt. Fisher, has forbidden any duelling with
                                                rebels and traitors to the Crown, so we will have to meet at midnight
                                                - no lanterns permitted, much as a Saturday night at Fort Erie. I
                                                trust that YOU will be suitably garbed in your bright white vest as I
                                                will have my regulation dark Navy blue waist-coat on.

                                                G O D S A V E T H E K I N G and P U S S E R ' S !

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Oct 6, 2008
                                                  Mr. Deans

                                                  I take particular exception to your comments but realize that you are "Three sheets to the wind" and so should be excused somewhat.

                                                  I will, however, correct you on some points:

                                                  I issued the challenge as "the aggrieved party". You do indeed have choice of weapons. 3 pdrs would be acceptable.

                                                  Secondly, I'm certain American sailors have tasted Pusser's rum as it is well known that many US citizens were falsely pressed into the RN where, I'm certain, they partook of the foul stuff as the best, indeed, only thing available to ease the pain of their incarceration (with the added danger of drowning!).

                                                  Finally, I also remind you that, when the two Georges met at midfield for the coin toss, Mr Washington won and His Majesty's forces had to wear red, stand out in the open and fire all at once, while Americans were able to wear dark colors, use available concealment and cover, and were allowed to make aimed shots.

                                                  I would have my seconds call on your "thirds" but will refrain out of respect for Lt. Fisher.

                                                  Your Servant, Sir,

                                                  Lieutenant (N) Thomas Hurlbut

                                                  PS: Thanks for the rum, Gord. It did indeed warm the innards!

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Oct 6, 2008
                                                    You are most welcome, sir.

                                                    However, I remain flabbergasted and gabberflasted at your obviously
                                                    colonial interpretation of our past history.

                                                    Our beloved King George may have been wooden-headed but your King
                                                    George actually had wooden teeth. How colonial can you get.

                                                    Have a good winter. I hear that it is going to snow next weekend up
                                                    your way in the north.

[...]

                                                    http://royal.scots.tripod.com/warof1812eventslistYahoo! Groups
                                                    Links